LegacyGT.com

Tuning for a FMIC

yamie700

Newb tuning question-

when going from TMIC to FMIC I know I should be able to run more timing, I'll work on that little by little. And I'll keep an eye on boost targets and adj. WGDC if needed. Should I set all the throttle tip in adj. to 0's? Any other basic changes?

It makes sense to increase tip-in a bit, since there's more air between the throttle plate and the MAF sensor. That said, I have played with tip-in quite a bit (even ran zero for a little while, as I was investigating something else) and have noticed hardly any difference at all. Tip-in is a very short-lived thing, it's hard to capture it with a logger.

^^ +1

Assuming you are a tuning newb like me, I would not touch tip-in until you have everything worked out (timing, boost and fuel). I have seen a few FMIC tunes with stock tip in that run perfectly fine...with and without bigger injectors. I see tip in as an optional tune parameter..you really do not need to touch it (I think) unless you are running really big injectors..

With the FMIC you should be able to run a little more boost higher in the rev range.

Yeah, I had just been reading the tuning guide badnoodle did over on nasioc.

"Tip-in-enrichment (boost error)

This is the extra fuel added to tip in enrichment at a particular boost error (so it’s tip-in-enrichment’s enrichment). This will only need to be adjusted if you added larger injectors or a FMIC.

1) For a FMIC, set all cells to 0 (the much longer intercooler piping eliminates the need for this table)

2) For larger injectors on a TMIC, multiply each value by (new injector size / original injector size)"

• 1 month later...

Finally got the racer-x FMIC installed over the weekend. I need to track down a leak though, at 21psi its making a loud whistleing noise.

I'm still running the stock BPV. How can I tell/ what should I log to see if its Ok or if I need to get an aftermarket BOV with softer spring?

I've been tuning it myself. My target is 22psi tapering to 19. Prelim results are I'm hitting 21psi but I think that may be due to the slight leak.

I've always read about FMIC and softer springs in BOV, but I'm looking for what are the signs its actually needed? I'd rather just run the stock BPV if I can.

I am running my regular stage 2 tune on my fmic, it runs fine and safe, the tunes conservative.

I'm not sure how much timing you can get away with advancing based on just a front mount added, it'll probably be fairly minimal. What were your mods before adding this on? Was the intercooler a big bottleneck for your setup?

I am running my regular stage 2 tune on my fmic, it runs fine and safe, the tunes conservative.

I'm not sure how much timing you can get away with advancing based on just a front mount added, it'll probably be fairly minimal. What were your mods before adding this on? Was the intercooler a big bottleneck for your setup?

are you asking me or the guy i'm replying to?

i was still on the stock turbo...so probably just a basic stage 2 setup with fmic. nothing special. as for the intercooler..i didn't find that there was any difference in lag..if there was..it was barely noticed

are you asking me or the guy i'm replying to?

i was still on the stock turbo...so probably just a basic stage 2 setup with fmic. nothing special. as for the intercooler..i didn't find that there was any difference in lag..if there was..it was barely noticed

really the q was for anyone with similar setup experience. I remember when i was going fmic so many ppl told me id be losing power and gaining lag from the big core, but i have not noticed any real change. Just curious what other ppl experienced.

• 1 year later...
I have an 18g, with the switch from perrin TMIC to FMIC I do feel more lag in throttle response. Not much, but noticeable.

So far I think the stock BPV is doing OK, even at 22psi.

sorry to resurrect BUT, that noise you were hearing, probably the stock bpv at 22psi :lol:

Archived