LegacyGT.com

08 vs 05 outback xt which on to buy?

08 has all detailed service records and timing belt has been serviced. all the oil changes have been in 3-4k intervals. The body has some dings and dents and curb rash on wheels. 130k miles xt limited blk/blk manual

$10500 out the door

05 clean car fax havent seen it or test drove it. 72k miles xt limit blk/beige

asking $9999.

Which year is easier to mod or work on? Is one year better then the other. Based on looks I personally like the front grill of the 05, lower miles and same price, carfax is clean from what the dealer says and just need to find out more but if all service is equal, which model would you go for?

Thanks in advance!

I also like the controls on the steering wheel. I put a deposit on the 08. Funny story is I went to test drive it on Tuesday left the dealer at 730pm a half hour before they closed and they asked me to put a deposit on it. I said no thanks I would call them in the AM. Called at 10AM and they told me the car sold at 910AM. Just got the call today the buyer backed out. I guess it was meant to be the 08.

I would lean towards the 05 XT (is it a manual?) if its in better condition. As the last person mentioned 60k is lot of miles and the 08 body isn't perfect.

08 are better than 05 because of the banjo bolt filter/catted up pipe that the 05 have. From just research on this site I would replace the 05 turbo's/replace the oil return line at 100k as preventive maintenance. I would remove the banjo filter immediately. That being said by the time the 130k mile 08 approached another 30-40k miles, it would probably require additional maintenance.

It really depends on how miles you drive all year round. If you drive less than 10k miles per year, then you can buy the 08 model. If you drive more than 10k miles a year, then I would buy the 05 model. I got an 05 Legacy LGT with 105k miles now and it still runs pretty nice and strong. I only average about 8k miles per year. As long all the maintenance is up to date, then not much to worry about.

Archived