LegacyGT.com

New Clutch Quote - 05 Legacy GT

I am currently in need of a new clutch as the one I have now is shot and is constantly slipping (mileage - 52000). I took it down to my local dealership, Georgetown Subaru (Norwalk, CT) and they told me it would cost $1,825.00 BEFORE tax. I found this to be extremely high but was wondering what other people thought and what they have paid for new clutches.

That's an terrible quote..

You could do a number of things for parts. $300-$800 for just an OEM clutch to an aftermarket clutch and flywheel combo.

Good place to start (great LGT.com vendor):

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-Legacy-GT-05-dsh-09-cln-Drivetrain--fdsh--Transmission-cln-Clutches/Categories

Labor should be quoted around 4hrs to go in and 4hrs back out, 8hrs total. Try to find local shops or shop rates at legit transmission shops. Post your location too, people might have recommendations.

I paid ~$650 for parts($300)/labor($350) for a new OEM clutch, PP, TOB and flywheel resurface, but my friend has a shop and did the labor..

The quote they gave me was to put in the standard subaru clutch, i.e. put in the same one that is in there currently. They said the price of the factory clutch is about $987 and then the labor brought the price up to $1825, I guess they like to take advantage of the fact I am in Fairfield county. My car isn't modded and I was just looking to get a stock clutch installed or something similar unless there is something significantly better for a small price.

Yeah, I thought I felt mine slipping the other day and started a thread. Now I think that it was just the sub-zero degree westher making the tranny angry.

I did a bunch of research and found I could source all the parts (OEM clutch, new LW FW) for less than $600 (FredBeansParts just like Booze said) and I found a very experienced tech on my local forum that can do the job in four hours for $300. F*** that stealership quote. They are a** holes.

Thanks for all your responses. I have recently found a guy that I know who is willing to do the project for around $400 labor. He offered to order the part but I also have the option to order it myself as well. I took a look at the clutches on the link posted above and am tempted to maybe buy a slightly upgraded one (ACT) that will take a little bit more abuse and last longer or I might stick with the stock OEM subaru clutch. Either way I am not sure if I am in need of a new flywheel or not. Out of curiosity, are you supposed to change the flywheel with the installation of a new clutch, or is it the normal thing to do?

Either way I am not sure if I am in need of a new flywheel or not. Out of curiosity, are you supposed to change the flywheel with the installation of a new clutch, or is it the normal thing to do?

generally you should have the flywheel resurfaced before installing the new clutch. I had a friend who did his own clutch and he bought a spare flywheel and got it resurfaced ahead of time. Then he could just pull the old clutch/flywheel and install the new with no downtime.

I am quite sure it is the pressure plate that needs to be resurfaced, NOT the flywheel.

I just bought my second clutch disk for 175 shipped. Of course I already had the rest of the kit and everything else was paying for this clutch replacement. It is a terrible quote. You should be able to get everything else done at about 1000 dollars with new parts purchased.

As stated in numerous clutch threads... Your best upgrade would be to get the ACT w/ WRX flywheel set up since our DMFW are heavy as **** and are not worth the money. The WRX flywheel is lighter and cheaper, search NASIOC and see if any WRX guys have clutch problems (its a faint number compared to us LGTs). Order the parts yourself and make sure to get the TSK3 TOB kit. Our TOBs are crap and are what cause a lot of our clutch problems IMO.

I was in the same boat as the OP and made the stupid mistake of payin my stealership. After research i found that:

a) I should have ordered the parts myself... stock was more than aftermarket and not even close to comparable (hate our stock clutch smell)

b) I should have upgraded my TOB to the TSK3 kit since my TOB was what bugged me the most and is now an issue again.

c) I should have payed my buddy on a local forum to do the install since his labor price was half of what the stealership wanted and he works as a Subaru mechanic

FRED BEANS PARTS, as mentioned above, will get you a good package at competitive rates.

I bought the ACT / WRX flywheel package and had my Subaru dealership install it. They quoted 5 hours.

I've been running this set up for 3 months now.

All told, it still is a $1700.00 Canadian job, but I got a much better clutch and flywheel than the inferior OEM version.

Archived