LegacyGT.com

Found a Bug in the Cruise Control Software

It's nothing terrible, but being a developer, I found it interesting.

If you are going down a hill and you hold the Coast, and your car speeds up because of the incline, and you release the Coast, then the cruise will be set at the higher MPH. :lol:

It's just a flaw in the software IMHO. Neither my old 2000 2.5RS, nor my wife's 2004 Leggy act this way.

if you TAP the cruise control down... you will set the speed to 1 mph lower for every tap.

if you HOLD the control down... all you are telling the computer to do is NOT accelerate. When you release... you are setting the new speed.

Because you went downhill.. your speed is higher.. and you are setting the now higher speed.

if you left it alone.. you would have the car not not accelerate at all, and return to the set speed.

if you kept tapping the control down to the speed you wanted.. you would slow the car down.

I ride the cruise control by tap... +1 - 1 all the time. If i need to slow down greatly to a new speed... i turn the system OFF... then turn it back on by tapping the control down.

It seems to respond much more quickly in traffic that is going 70, then 55, then 65...

Yeah even on my Hyundia if the CC is set and I push the coast button it will slowly drop speed until I release the coast button. At that point the new speed is set. So it would make sense if going down a hill the car will pick up speed due to gravity and all else will work the same. Dont see a flaw with that setup though.

With an automatic I could see the car downshifting to attain a lower speed. But for a manual, you would have to tap into the ABS somehow and have the brakes slow down the car. Then you would have to worry about someone holding down the coast for too long and loosing the brakes. Much too much effort, and dictates two different systems altogether.

Hit your brake, slow down to where you want to be, reset cruise, and be happy you own a GT instead of us whom are still dreaming.

you can in 4th gear

not that you would want to

I was having a fun time making the car take off using the CC paddle, and noticed i was going 100 mph the other night

Well, I can go as fast as I want with the paddle. Say you don't have cruise set at all. Go 90 or faster and press set and it won't do anything. Set it at 89 or below and press accel and it'll go till you let it go. It'll just go back down to the last speed it was set at (or maybe 89?).

Coast by definition means cruise, drift, float, freewheel. So, if you are going down hill and you are speeding up (normal), then using coast will comply. Releasing the coast control sets the cruise to the new speed, as expected. What would be neat is instead of coast, it was decrease, using breaks automatically where necessary to slow the car down. I just do what others have already said - I turn off the cruise and/or apply breaks and/or change to a lower gear to slow down on a decline. Can't have the car do everything for us, yet. I suppose once we all have cars like the prototype Audi in I-robot, we'll have less to complain about.

Archived