LegacyGT.com

Checking to see if burning oil....

This seems like a simple question/answer. Am I burning oil? I'd just check the dipstick and see where the oil line is.

I went to the dealership for front/rear differential fluid change. They told me my oil was dirty and needed changing (I changed it 2k miles ago :lol:), and they also told me I had burned 3/4 to 1 qt of oil. When I got home, I checked the dipstick, and it was just barely below F. I was confused how this reading could signify I was down that much oil (it wouldn't). I added a little to be cautious. The dealership told me they'd top it off for me, I told them not to, so I'm assuming it's not from them doing that.

If I was down a qt, the dipstik would be reading by the "L", correct?

I wouldn't distrust the dealer yet. Yes, down a quart would read around the low mark on the dipstick, but our dipsticks are temperamental from my experience. How long did you let the car sit before checking your oil? The tech might've topped you off anyways even though you said not to.

Obviously theres lots of reasons for consumption. I always thought my car was consuming oil through the pcv system. But I didn't really realize until recently how common it is on our cars for the spark plug tube gaskets to go, or at least it appears common after searching. Found that out when I went to do my plugs the other day

plugwire.thumb.jpg.37021e5178a9289ed354935155e13be1.jpg

On the Boxer engines it's fairly common for the Valve Cover Gaskets and Spark-plug Gaskets to go over time although we haven't seen this as a major issue really on Subies overall. I would say when you check/replace your plugs every 30 or 60k miles to check those gaskets.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

OP, you need to start checking your oil once a week, after the car has sat on level ground for a long time, like 4+ hours. I do mine after I come out from work.

Top it off as needed.

We went through this the other day.

These car use oil at different rates. I can drive 1500 miles and not use any oil, then the next 500 miles the level is down a bit.

Some times on the drive to VT it will use oil, next weekend it won't. I'll check it and top it off here went I leave work today and then again Saturday after skiing in the parking lot at Okemo.

Last weekend up and back it didn't use any oil. The previous weekend it used a little on the drive up to VT.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I assume the method to knowing how much oil should be added back in is just by adding a little, rechecking dipstick, adding a little more, rechecking dipstick, until at F?

I'd imagine after a few times you can get pretty good at approximating.

OP, you need to start checking your oil once a week, after the car has sat on level ground for a long time, like 4+ hours. I do mine after I come out from work.

+1 on letting it sit for awhile. I thought I was low after checking my car right after driving. topped it off, and checked again the next morning. I was way over and had to drain some out.

Archived