LegacyGT.com

will suspension affect winter driving

rallyInspired

I spend the summers in the desert that is new mexico, but go to school in denver. this is most likely a really stupid question, but if i drop my legacy/stiffen the suspension will it affect the way it performs in ice and snow? Driving in those conditions scares the sh*t out of me, one of the reasons i went with the lgt, and i dont want to do anything to it that will affect it's snow driving capabilities

I'd say don't lower it, if you're concerned about trudging through the white stuff. But tires, oh yes, a decent set of snows (say like Nokian RSIs) at all 4 corners, and you'll be "Unstoppable!" (said in my best Schwarzenegger voice)

As a Colorado Native I can tell you that lowering will definately effect your ability to go through snow. Especially if you drive prior to the road being plowed. (Which is almost always if you drive side streets!) I can't tell you how many lowered Civics get high centered. Secondly, if you stiffen up your rear sway bar for more nuetral handling, you will increase your chance of spinouts in the snow. No way around that!

^^ +1

I've been reading up on sways, and I've come to realize that at least for this first winter in my LGT, I'm going to keep her stock in terms of suspension so that I can better get used to her AWD dynamics.

Although I'd like more "pivot" from the rear end when dry and a little less understeer overall, having the tail stepping around easier during daily-driving/commuting in snow/slush is not going to be my cup-of-tea!

And from the driver of a slammed-to-the-pavement DSM...yes, lowered cars don't handle snowpiles all that well. :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Don't worry about the larger sway bars. They are not going to effect your car to the point that you will spin out and crash. I had similar concerns before I began modding my WRX suspension and in the end the stiffer springs and struts and larger sway bar didn't do me any harm in the winter. The AWD is awesome in the snow. However, I wouldn't go crazy if you're still running RE92s.

I've had the same concern about springs and sways on the GT during winter, when I had my WRX wagon I drove all winter with a larger rear sway and everything else stock except for strut tower bar and dedicated winter tires. The WRX is suppose to have more understeer than the GT (more neutral) with that being said I could definitely tell the difference. The wagon's rear was easier to kick out for sliding around corners on ice/snow, I never had a problem with spinning out, unless I was pushing the limits. The only down side was whenever I took tight long curves I'd get that nervous feeling that the rear would come around. GPmototech should have a rear sway coming out soon with an adjustment for winter driving. Hopefully I'll have Ion springs on in Sept and I'm looking to get either Nokians, Michelin X-Ice, or Blizzak LMs, I think the springs will be fine from the reviews I've read. It seems the springs help the RE92s grip a little better and should do the same for winter tires. I'm just icthing to mod the suspension a little bit.:D

yes, from what i understand, springs will help with winter driving, but ground clearance may be an issue if that's a concern. i noticed a difference in my previous car when i installed springs. i want springs on the LGT too, but will most likely have to wait til Spring.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

As a Colorado Native I can tell you that lowering will definately effect your ability to go through snow. Especially if you drive prior to the road being plowed. (Which is almost always if you drive side streets!) I can't tell you how many lowered Civics get high centered. Secondly, if you stiffen up your rear sway bar for more nuetral handling, you will increase your chance of spinouts in the snow. No way around that!

A) correct, your chassis will get lifted by the snow if the road is unplowed, causing the whole car to lift and pick up the tires along with it.. and we all know what happens when there's no weight over the wheels.

B) to combat the stiffer rear sway, unbolt it, OR drive smoother.

Keefe

Keefe

My A4 was lowered 1-1/2 inches, but I always ran good winter tires (Hakkapeliitta 1's), and it handled very well in the snow, even if the snow was quite deep. I only high-centered it once, and that was on a very rutted, deep snow-covered dirt road in the woods. Eight inches of snow on a regular paved road was no problem.

The worst winter handling I had in that car was the first winter, when it had the stock suspension, but also the stock all-season Continental tires. In other words, I think the tires made a lot more of a difference than the suspension.

I'll also chime in and say that the winter rubber you run will impact your winter handling about 100 times that of your suspension. If your tires don't lose grip, then your car won't be able to do anything you don't expect.

Even so, as Martin Brundle says "the most important part of the (F1 car's) suspension is that nut behind the wheel."

Stay cool in adverse conditions, back off when you feel the slightest hint of unanticipated movement in the car, and you will be just fine, regardless of your suspension setup and even your tires (although you will end up going 5 mph all the time if you run summer rubber =)

How simple (or easy) is it to switch springs? Can you run stocks in the winter, lower them when the snow melts? Is that an option?

Switching springs is not that hard if you have the right equipment and tools...you'll need a lift or floor jacks, an impact gun and compressor and a spring compressor. A wheel alignment machine is helpful as well.

You guys are talking yourselves out of something that really isn't a big deal. I'm running the full SPT suspension kit on my WRX wagon and have had not any problems driving in snow. This includes a larger and stiffer sway bar. My suspension does not drop the car, but it is as stiff as an STi. I've been running 16" Dunlop SP5000s for the past 3 winters on my car and have never lost control of my car.

Yes, it's easier to kick the back out...but that's half the fun. I can't keep up with the guys wearing snow tires, but I have no problems getting from point A to B in blizzard conditions.

Those with big drops in your suspension may have clearance issues in deep snow. But if you put a big enough lip on the car, you can make a few extra dollars plowing driveways. :D

tantal has it right...learn to drive your car and the AWD and you'll have no problems in the snow. The Subaru AWD system is great in the snow...and yes, you can even drive with RE92s in the snow.

McDade wrote a great how to drive in the snow thread last winter. Search the Tri-State Forums on NASIOC for it. :)

BUT...if you have friends with new STis...PLEASE tell them to NOT to drive with their RE070s during the winter.

...and yes, you can even drive with RE92s in the snow.

Maybe, but why? A set of snow tires ought to last four years, and that's mileage you won't be putting on your regular tires. If you get the snows mounted on a different set of wheels -- even cheap steel wheels will do -- you can change them over yourself, or have it done very cheaply.

I'm not familiar with the RE070's, but I had S-02's (later, S-03's) on my A4, and they were a nightmare in the snow if I waited too long to put the snow tires on. I would hit the brakes, and the car would just keep going. Or, I would turn the steering wheel, but the car would keep going straight. Then, I'd get the snows put on, and I'd have a blast driving around in the snow, steering with the throttle, etc.

Again, my experience with a dropped suspension was that it was no problem, even in deep Minnesota snow, when I had snow tires on. The one time I had a problem was when I was basically off-roading on a dirt "road" that had a whole season's worth of snow on it and had been rutted out by pickup trucks with very tall suspensions.

Maybe, but why? A set of snow tires ought to last four years, and that's mileage you won't be putting on your regular tires. If you get the snows mounted on a different set of wheels -- even cheap steel wheels will do -- you can change them over yourself, or have it done very cheaply.

I'm not familiar with the RE070's, but I had S-02's (later, S-03's) on my A4, and they were a nightmare in the snow if I waited too long to put the snow tires on. I would hit the brakes, and the car would just keep going. Or, I would turn the steering wheel, but the car would keep going straight. Then, I'd get the snows put on, and I'd have a blast driving around in the snow, steering with the throttle, etc.

Again, my experience with a dropped suspension was that it was no problem, even in deep Minnesota snow, when I had snow tires on. The one time I had a problem was when I was basically off-roading on a dirt "road" that had a whole season's worth of snow on it and had been rutted out by pickup trucks with very tall suspensions.

You're assuming that the RE 92 is the regular tire - no way :D This is my winter tire until I get sick of it (long before it wears out). But otherwise, you're right. Don't drive summer rubber in snow! :dm:

You're assuming that the RE 92 is the regular tire - no way :D This is my winter tire until I get sick of it (long before it wears out). But otherwise, you're right. Don't drive summer rubber in snow! :dm:

No question, the RE92's are waaayyyyy better in the snow than, say, the S-02's. I know that because my wife has RE92's on her Civic, although we have snow tires for her too. I just meant that, sure, you can drive on RE92's in the winter, but snow tires are so much better.

To be honest though, I've thought about keeping the RE92's on through the first winter, just so I can wear them out quicker. I'll probably go ahead and get the snows, though. I might have to put them on the stock rims and then take them off again in the spring and remount the RE92's, because I want to keep open the option of getting 18" wheels for my future summer tires.

I'm not assuming that everyone on this board will swap tires during the winter or throw their RE92s out. I know that there is a lot of RE92 bashing out there, myself included, but they are competent tires if you're a "normal" driver. For instance, my wife could drive on RE92s and would be fine. However, because of the way I drive, sold my RE92s along time ago and run Pzero Nero M+S tires on my Legacy.

The RE070s are the tires that come OE on the STis. Every winter there are a rash of "I crashed my STi" threads. No one should be driving on high performance summer tires in the winter. I don't wait for snow to swap my swap my WRX tires. The summers come off as soon as the temperatures dip to a consistant 40°F in the evenings.

I'm not assuming that everyone on this board will swap tires during the winter or throw their RE92s out. I know that there is a lot of RE92 bashing out there, myself included, but they are competent tires if you're a "normal" driver. For instance, my wife could drive on RE92s and would be fine.

+1

I turn into a VERY conservative driver when it's snowy out, and the RE92s on my wifey's Rex proved more than sufficient and confident to handle even the freak snowstorm we got here in NE-Ohio this past Mother's Day weekend.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Tires, Tires, Tires!! Don't worry about the suspension that much...yes, clearance might be an issue at times but with regards to handling, having stock suspension or an aftermarket will not make enough of a difference in the snow, IMO.

I've daily driven my lowered M3 over the last three winters with few problems...clearance has been an issue at times but snow tires are by far the most important thing.

If you're worried about clearance and want to improve the suspension, put on some better adjustable shocks that will provide better damping and maybe add some sways...while keeping the OEM springs.

If I can get through Pittsburgh Winters okay in a lowered RWD car, you should probably be fine with a lowered Subie (w/snow tires) 98% of the time in Denver..

http://members.roadfly.org/kmurph/M3snow1small.jpg

Archived