LegacyGT.com

My car got totalled- What to buy next?

Yes, my baby got totalled. Got clipped off t-bone style in the front driver side. This pic is from the passenger side, the other side is half-gone. Weird thing is that airbags did not deploy. Preliminary estimate w/o verifying engine, trans, etc (which surely was messed up) is about 12K. My car had 28,000 miles and was babied...oh, and I paid it off this month. Good news is that everyone was OK and insurance will cover.

Now to the important question...what to get next. Don't like the 2010 Leggy (too big) and the WRX is not refined enough. Then I turn to usual other suspects, A4, BMW 3 series, and....the Porsche Boxster S :wub:. I know, very different cars, but I thihkn that's what I'm leaning towards...

clip_image001.thumb.jpg.e1b5cc9f9b8de92d3f567c308b330f76.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yes, my baby got totalled. Got clipped off t-bone style in the front driver side. This pic is from the passenger side, the other side is half-gone. Weird thing is that airbags did not deploy. Preliminary estimate w/o verifying engine, trans, etc (which surely was messed up) is about 12k. My car had 28,000 miles and was babied...oh, and i paid it off this month. Good news is that everyone was ok and insurance will cover.

Now to the important question...what to get next. Don't like the 2010 leggy (too big) and the wrx is not refined enough. Then i turn to usual other suspects, a4, bmw 3 series, and....the porsche boxster s :wub:. I know, very different cars, but i thihkn that's what i'm leaning towards...

g35?

Yes, my baby got totalled. Weird thing is that airbags did not deploy. ..

It's a common misconception that airbags should deploy every time for every type of accident.

Airbag deployment depends on several crash sensor inputs such as angle of impact and magnitude of deceleration forces.

Now to answer your question.

You mentioned the usual suspects, but what other features in a car are you looking for? You said you dont want a big car.

What about the Audi A3? That's small. BMW 1-Series?

Wait for teh Regal. I would also seriously consider the 335i, 335xi or 335d though at completely different price points.
________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

also thinking about abother LGT...problem is that really good ones from 07-08, with low miles seem to be in the 22-26K range... that is coming very close to 05-06 boxter territory. I'm getting about 16K from insurance. also, I much rather pay 3-4 % interest over 60 months (already pre-approved) and take the 16k and invest in the market for a conservative 8-10% return (or more, the way I invest). still an option... so many choices and decisions to make. thanks guys.

Err.... Boxster stirs ZERO excitement whatsoever
________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

If you have testosterone in your system that statement is true... However, those with estrogen would completely disagree with you.

Gladly I have the former... So the boxter does nothing for me.

To the OP: Sorry to hear bout the wreck :S sad to hear... I'd say keep watching the forums for someone that's selling... Why buy from a stealership when you have a good community here. Heck, you might be able to get an 08 Special Beeeee for ~22-24k if your lucky :)

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

problem is that really good ones from 07-08, with low miles seem to be in the 22-26K range...

low mileage 07-08 LGT should fit under 20k. For 26 you should be able to find a new 09 lgt.

for a conservative 8-10% return (or more, the way I invest).

Or lose it all.

How much do you want to spend ? Do you want to get a loan or get what 16K will get you ?

It sounds like you will need a car NOW too. If you could get by for a while the soon to be out 2011 Mustang looks good in either V6 or V8 setup.

I paid $22k for an 08 with 30k miles, well maintained from a dealer last August. So you should be able to find an 07-08 from a private seller for under $20k or a dealership for right around $20-21k.
It's cool; I'm with the band

have you ever driven a 05+ boxster s? If not, do so and then let me know if you still feel the same way. If you have, then I guess to each their own. IMO it has one of the best shifing experiences (if not best), best balance, plenty of grunt and speed, pure grin inducing drive anyone can have under 50K (or 30 K for used 06 models). Sure, a GTR could be more fun (haven't driven one, but if I wanted to spend 80K it woudl be on my list), or a 200K F430.... but for ~30K you'd be hardpressed to have more fun in car.

Or lose it all.

ha ha...yes, you are right. it's all a gamble. seriously. but on average and over time, it's 8-10%. I've won many of my gambles this past year...up 250% :spin:. I realize I got very lucky with my picks.

to the other questions, I'm looking for something around 30K and can be pre-owned. I realize that in the price range there are LOTS of options, which is making me crazy. If yo uknew me you would understand...I'm crazy when it comes to making big purchases. I'm also very annoyed because I had just paid my car off and was looking to keep it another 3-4 years. I have time because I can use my GF's car, take public transport and cabs. I'm also considering not getting a car at all and saving the money. yes, I'm ridiculous and all over the place. now on to do more research...

thanks to all.

Archived