LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

• 4 weeks later...
Could someone just make a new post with all the parts that are needed for a 6mt swap into a 05+ LGT and then Sticky it?!?!?!?!

I've been planning to post info from my swap. The swap I did was "zero fabrication" one, all with bolt-on parts...

There are basically 2 main options for turning your 5MT into a 6MT.

Option #1:

Transmission Choice: 2007+ LGT Spec B 6MT, 2004, 2005 STI 6MT

Rear Differential Choice: 2007+ LGT Spec B R180, 2004+ STI R180, <2004 Legacy or you can use a regeared stock R160 as well with stock LGT rear axles

Axles: Front - Stock LGT, Rear - 2007+ Spec B or custom Driveshaft Shop Axles

Option #2:

Transmission Choice: 2006+ STI 6MT

Rear Differential Choice: Stock LGT R160

Axles: Front - Stock LGT, Rear - Stock LGT

Etc: DCCD Controller for STI 6MT, 2005+ 2.5i LGT Auto Driveshaft (for Sedan or Wagon based on what you have currently) or 2007+ Spec B Driveshaft, appropriate 6MT flywheel and clutch, 2005 STI front axle seals (recommended), 6MT shift linkage, 6MT shifter, 6MT shift knob (as a note, most donor sets more than likely won't have a knob as most have been robbed from the junkyards :lol:), 6MT slave cylinder, 6MT clutch fork

Quick Pros and Cons to the different components:

<2004 Legacy Differential is not going to be a viscous limited slip (CON)

2007 Spec B 6MT does not contain a limited slip front differential (CON)

2006+ STI 6MT has a 1:1 stepper center differential which allows you to use your Stock R160 on the 07+ cars, if you use an 04-05 STI trans.. the GT 5MT came in 2005-2006 4.11FD 2007-2009 5MT 3.90FD (PRO - Cheaper CON - weaker rear diff if using the R160)

Helpful links for those with lots of time:

Hammer Down's 6MT Swap thread - "the original"

NASIOC's Transmission forums

P/N's:

Spec B Rear Axles - 28421AG03B

R180 Rear Axle Seals – 806732200

05 STi 6MT front half shaft seals:

L/H 806735240

R/H 806735230

Tail Shaft Seal – 806735210

Edited by groff

Now how about swapping a 6 Speed into a 5eat :)

A little bit more difficult, but still doable. you'll need all of the above parts plus the clutch master cylinder and a new pedal setup (I'm guessing since the brake and clutch are on the same rotating assembly under the dash). will probably also need a new trim piece inside the cabin and shift boot :p. You'll now also need the 6MT transmission cross braces I would guess.

I've been planning to post info from my swap. The swap I did was "zero fabrication" one, all with bolt-on parts...

Please do as I prefer bolt-on OEM parts. Interested on how much this is going to cost me.

There are basically 2 main options for turning your 5MT into a 6MT.

Option #1:

Transmission Choice: 2007+ LGT Spec B 6MT, 2004, 2005 STI 6MT

Rear Differential Choice: 2007+ LGT Spec B R180, 2004+ STI R180, <2004 Legacy or you can use a regeared stock R160 as well with stock LGT rear axles

Axles: Front - Stock LGT, Rear - 2007+ Spec B or custom Driveshaft Shop Axles

Option #2:

Transmission Choice: 2006+ STI 6MT

Rear Differential Choice: Stock LGT R160

Axles: Front - Stock LGT, Rear - Stock LGT

Etc: DCCD Controller for STI 6MT, 2005+ 2.5i LGT Auto Driveshaft (for Sedan or Wagon based on what you have currently) or 2007+ Spec B Driveshaft, appropriate 6MT flywheel and clutch, 2005 STI front axle seals (recommended), 6MT shift linkage, 6MT shifter, 6MT shift knob (as a note, most donor sets more than likely won't have a knob as most have been robbed from the junkyards :lol:), 6MT slave cylinder, 6MT clutch fork

Quick Pros and Cons to the different components:

<2004 Legacy Differential is not going to be a viscous limited slip (CON)

2007 Spec B 6MT does not contain a limited slip front differential (CON)

2006+ STI 6MT has a 1:1 stepper center differential which allows you to use your stock R160 (PRO - Cheaper CON - weaker rear diff if using the R160)

Helpful links for those with lots of time:

Hammer Down's 6MT Swap thread - "the original"

NASIOC's Transmission forums

Groff, very nice..

FYI to everyone else, all this information was gathered by HAMMER DOWN, myself and groff, during our swaps.. this is real-world info, not speculation.

for the rear diff:

hammer down is running a re-geared WRX unit

i am running a 2004 legacy auto 3.90 (just broke it :spin:), so i am swapping the 05 LGT LSD carrier into the 3.90 legacy housing

and groff is running an R180 and Spec.B Axels. (damn you! :lol:)

Which 6MT has a taller gearing? Is it the 2007 STi?

Yes.

Groff, very nice..

FYI to everyone else, all this information was gathered by HAMMER DOWN, myself and groff, during our swaps.. this is real-world info, not speculation.

for the rear diff:

hammer down is running a re-geared WRX unit

i am running a 2004 legacy auto 3.90 (just broke it :spin:), so i am swapping the 05 LGT LSD carrier into the 3.90 legacy housing

and groff is running an R180 and Spec.B Axels. (damn you! :lol:)

yea, sorry, didn't have any shout outs :lol:

Cost of parts (if possible, new, since that's more consistent) and approximate number of labor hours needed to swap to a 6mt?

Transmission including clutch assembly/flywheel, or do you need to purchase that seperately?

I'm wondering because I've seen plenty of clutch jobs run $1500 for parts and labor, and it seems like this could be an option if it's $2500-3000 and you plan on keeping the car for a long time.

Joe

So lets say I were to go the route of an 05 STi 6spd for my 05 Outback XT.

The outbacks have an R180 rear diff with a 4.444 final drive gear ratio.

Would this be compatible? There is an 05 STi at a salvage yard not too far from me that is nearly complete available for partout.