LegacyGT.com

97 legacy GT sedan power antenna

timpappas

My power antenna stopped working some time ago, so I yanked it all the way up, and pulled the power cord from it. Well, over the weekend some F*CK broke off all the antenna's in my neighborhood...Anyone ever replace them on the legacy GT Sedan? Where is the best place to buy a replacement? Dealer, Online? Ebay has nothing at this time..Thanks..

Tim

I'll bet there is a thread here with the details if, you do a search. I had the dealer replace one under warranty and should replace the second one. In both cases, the gears stripped out on me. The motors fine the grears are a pice of crap. I took a look at it last summer and it looks to be a pain since you need to remove one of the interior panels. I hate doing this since, they never seem to go back perfectly in position.

I'll ask a followup question, anyone had luck with one of those flexible "whip" style inserts?

I think any generic replacement would work, just being a bit careful that the space is a bit constricted though these are not big hulking items.

Sorry, nothing definitive just a chance to post another question.

I am gonna goto autozone and look. My car is 9 yrs old w/ 166k on it...I dont want to give anyone a coronary when i ask them to warranty it...haha. They quoted me $52 at the dealer for a replacement mast and telescoping shell. $181 for the entire assy. Ill try autozone for a whip style and let everyone know how it goes. These things are generally sh*tty i think and are prone to a lot of problems.

P.S. If i ever find out who broke it off to begin with, ill be sure to post the pics of the injuries i inflict on them...

removal wasnt bad at all. 1 bolt, power harness was already removed to stop the grinding months ago. Antenna cable slid right off. It is nice b/c it has a female end right there for when you replace it, there is no splicing of the antenna coax cable. I am going to give the autozone one a shot. it is a 3 wire hookup for the electircal (same as harness in vehicle) and it comes with a variety of mounts (angle degrees) for securing it to the outside of the quarter panel.

install is done...i now have FM reception...I picked up the universal power antenna kit at Autozone for $50. took me about 45 min to get it straight. was not a direct bolt on, had to drill a hole and use a bracket to hold the base of the antenna in place. workin like a charm!

what was your quote from the dealer? Mine was $181 for the entire Power Antenna Assy. I thought that was way out of line. I got mine @ Autozone for $50, and with a few minor mods, it works no differently than a factory one. Something to think about to save $130.

Any hints on the inside panel covering the space the antenna sits? I looked quickly once and it wasn't obvious how that gets removed - clips, screws? I know you need to push the back seat down and get it out of the way.

Thanks,

yours is the Outback Wagon Correct? Mine is a sedan. All i had to do was go in through the trunk. Pop out the pop clips holding the moldings in. Disconnect the power harness from the antenna. Take out the 1 bold holding the antenna into the inside of the rear quarter panel, then pull off the female end of the antenna cable running to the stereo (this slides right off with some force).

I am not too familiar with the hatch area of the OBWs, but from what I remember from my older Subaru wagons, there was kind of a glove box compartment in the side of the trunk (not sure which side). I would start there and look for screws or pop nuts holding the plastic moldings up, and just start taking it apart until I got access into the inside of the rear quarter panel. From there it should be cake.

let me know if i can be of any more assistance.

Archived