LegacyGT.com

1998 2.5L harmonic balancer / crank pulley failure - PICS

Driving home from work today (only a five mile drive) my AC stopped working. Popped the hood when I got home and saw pieces of belt everywhere. It seems that the harmonic balancer / crank pulley / whatever you want to call it has moved axially on the crank shaft, towards the motor, which put the belts out of alignment and caused them to fail. The pulley actually cut into the timing belt cover maybe an eight of an inch (look at the 'top right corner' of the pulley in the pic and you can see it). Looks like the hub and outer part of the pulley are actually two separate pieces connected by rubber and the rubber is what actually failed, so I'm hoping this just means a new pulley and belts are in order and there is no other damage.

Anyone ever see a failure like this? Any comments to my theory above? Other stuff to check for when I get around to pulling things apart and investigating further?

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x265/rmb2485/Legacy%20GT/d8041552.jpg

Yes I have. No damage, they are external accesories. Just replace crank pulley and belts.

Would be a perfect time to get a lightened pulley. Would free up a few horses for you.

Just make sure the new pulley is torqued to at least 100 ft lbs.

O.

I kept going back and forth about installing an aftermarket crank pulley. After seeing this and Googling about other crank pulley failures on Subaru's definitely makes me want to buy an aftermarket one. I'm thinking of going with the GrimmSpeed one as well.

• I Donated
You should be fine just replacing the belts and the pulley. You may want to pull off the timing cover and inspect the timing components for damage just to be on the safe side though.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

You should be fine just replacing the belts and the pulley. safe /QUOTE]

How so if it's separating?

Putting replacement belts on a bad pulley will only do the same thing again.

OTH the t belt is fine, It is not affected by the crank pulley.

While Grimmspeed's, Perrin and others are fine ank look real purty, if you are not trying to dress up the engine compartment, GimmickMotor Sports pulley ($90) will do just fine.

O.

OTH the t belt is fine, It is not affected by the crank pulley.

It's pretty darn close though in his situation :p

If I recall correctly, the T-Belt rides pretty close to the front of the timing covers, so there is a slight chance the pulley might be able to touch it, given that it slid back on the crankshaft and cut through the cover a little.

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably get around to pulling things apart tomorrow to completely assess the damage. NAPA has a stock replacement pulley for $62 (the dealer wants $170), so I'm just going to go with that. This car is just my daily driver, so the general idea is to put as little money into it as possible so I can spend more money on my Jeep and bikes. :icon_chee

It's pretty darn close though in his situation :p

If I recall correctly, the T-Belt rides pretty close to the front of the timing covers, so there is a slight chance the pulley might be able to touch it, given that it slid back on the crankshaft and cut through the cover a little.

Since Op is replacing crank this is really moot.

But, The crank pulley is torqued down with 100 plus ft lbs The back flange is on the crank. It's never going to get any closer.There is no way the crank can affect the t belt, unless it completely disintegrated and a piece went through the t cover completely.

O.

Since Op is replacing crank this is really moot.

But, The crank pulley is torqued down with 100 plus ft lbs The back flange is on the crank. It's never going to get any closer.There is no way the crank can affect the t belt, unless it completely disintegrated and a piece went through the t cover completely.

O.

When I called the dealer to ask about a pulley the first thing out of the guy's mouth was "did the rubber come apart?" The next was "which way did it walk?" And after I told him towards the motor, "Did it cut the timing belt?" He told me he's seen a few that moved far enough to cut the timing belt and destroy the motor.

I drove home four or so miles after the AC stopped working, so the timing belt should be fine. If it did make contact with the pulley, the car has 180,000 miles on it anyway so this will give me a good excuse to do some routine maintenance and replace the belt.

• I Donated

How so if it's separating?

Putting replacement belts on a bad pulley will only do the same thing again.

I said replace the belts and pulley. Meaning your two belts, AND the crank pulley.

You need to check your timing belt. I don't care if you think its ok. You asked for help on this, so you're obviously not 100% sure yourself. It might be a good idea to listen to the advise that I have given you and that the dealer gave you.

Just because you only drove it 4 miles and the AC didn't work doesn't mean the timing belt or any of its components didn't get damaged. It will only take a split second for the timing belt to fail. If the timing belt fails while the car is running, there is no stopping it. Instant damage will happen to the heads of the engine, and it is NOT a cheap fix.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Well, once the crank pulley is off, he'll pretty much be inspecting the area around it anyways. If the timing belt can be seen frayed and torn beneath the freshly cut hole in the timing cover, I'm sure he'll do something about it.

Checking the timing belt was never in question. I won't even be too upset if it did get damaged, because the car is due for a timing belt pretty soon anyway. I may do the timing belt even if it's fine, rather than take everything back apart in 20,000 miles to do it then. I may also drop the radiator so I can get an impact in there and for an excuse to flush the cooling system.

Didn't get around to the Subaru today tough. Maybe tomorrow.

I had the same kind of deal with mine, but it was a case where the tensioner backed out a hair on the timing belt, and the pulley was rubbing against the cover. The cover rubbed against the crank pulley and idler of the a/c, and the belt didn't like that. I've never heard of a crank pulley moving axially towards the engine, but I have seen them loosen and go out of balance.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to pulling things apart today. The crank pulley itself and the timing belt cover contacted the timing belt idlers, and two of them have a noticeable amount of axial play in their bearings. There is also a shiny strip along the back side of the timing belt and some small cuts along this strip, which I'm guessing is from either a piece of the accessory belts or melted timing belt cover getting wedged between an idler and the belt. The alternator, power steering and air conditioning compressor pulleys and everything else look fine.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x265/rmb2485/Legacy%20GT/IMG_0192.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x265/rmb2485/Legacy%20GT/IMG_0194.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x265/rmb2485/Legacy%20GT/IMG_0193.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x265/rmb2485/Legacy%20GT/IMG_0195.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x265/rmb2485/Legacy%20GT/IMG_0196.jpg

So, a timing belt kit, center timing belt cover, crank pulley, and accessory belts are in order. I'll pull the radiator for more room to work, so I'll also flush the cooling system and replace the thermostat and radiator hoses while I'm there. With any luck I can keep this whole mess below $300 in parts and get the Subaru back on the road in a couple weeks.

Good to know that the repair is simply replacement.

The shiny spot is from your idler.

Now that you have it apart and see how recessed the t belt is, even though the cover is trash, the t belt itself is fine.

If you can, tis much cheaper to get the cover from a junk yard, it is not a structural piece and doesn't have to be pretty and they clean up well with either gas or brake cleaner.

Make sure you line up your timing marks before you remove the belt. It'll make your life a lot easier.

O.

• 1 year later...

Just had this happen on my 97 Outback.. a clue for me to hint at was I was getting misfires on all 4 cylinders.. So just as I was getting on the on-ramp going into a curve I lost my power steering and my dash lights all came on, I knew I dropped the belt, so I pull over when safe and that's when I saw the crank pulley moving up and down.

Also just as I was about to pull off I heard more rubber come from it.

I was able to make it home (8 miles away) I'm going to get a lightweight pulley which I've long have put off but now this gives me a reason to :)

I think the key should be find because the bolt never backed off at all.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S6wZZEkaAA]Failed Subaru crank pulley - YouTube[/ame]

Archived