LegacyGT.com

Is there a steering rack with a quicker ratio that fits our cars?

Hugo L.

In short, I find the steering in my '05 not to be quick enough. Would it be possible to use one off another Subaru that would be a direct bolt-on?

If so, from which car?

Are you looking for a quicker response? I would look into bushings if thats the case. My steering almost feels slow/numb compared to itsme's LGT. Also, my RX8 was like his, both of which have stiffer bushings and it was much better handeling feel. But be warned, those little bumps that you hit may pull your tire, and if your not holding on you could hit a curb(almost did that with my RX8!)

Maybe it's just response, yeah, but mostly, I feel like I have to turn the steering wheel forever to get the wheels to turn enough. In other words, to turn the wheels a certain amount, I feel like I should only have to turn the sterring wheel, say, 75°, instead of a full quarter turn.

There is somebody on here who did it a while back. It was a box that was added to the column ( cut and weld?)
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

I'd LOVE to ship my rack to Q-Rack, but they want some $1300 to re-gear a rack.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I would personally start with bushings and go from there. like I said before night and day!

Ok, but which bushings? An anti-lift kit?

why can't you use a Sti rack? May need a STi crossmember and lengthen the coupler but that should be an option.

Ben

Well, that's what I'm enquiring about... ;)

why can't you use a Sti rack? May need a STi crossmember and lengthen the coupler but that should be an option.

Ben

I posted a thread about that a while back, but there wasn't much interest.

I wonder if an 08+ STi rack will fit, though. The Whiteline Steering Rack bushing part numbers are the same. KSR207.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Werent the 04-07 STi racks 13:1?

• 2 months later...

OP: You want an 11.5:1 Q-Rack. Period. End of story. I have one going in my STI next week.

There are other ways to quicken the steering, but they all either have serious compromises (e.g. column quickener) or just won't quicken it enough (e.g. STI rack).

I'm sure the 13:1 Subaru rack is good too but it's even more expensive than a Q-Rack, and slower.

To all of you suggesting a 2008+ USDM STI rack, at 15:1 it's exactly the same ratio. The STI does steer better, but I think it's due to the firmer suspension, wider wheels, and lack of rubber in the steering column (see below). The 2004-2007 USDM STI had the same or slightly slower ratio.

Edit: There is more to the steering ratio than the rack, but the rack is the only place you can change the ratio without side effects.

Speaking of improving the LGT's steering, take a look at these two Subaru steering column sections. On the left is from a WRX, on the right is from an STI. I bet the LGT has a rubber damper like the WRX. Getting rid of the rubber section, i.e. swapping for the STI version, ought to provide a noticeable improvement in steering feel.

http://www.ihavethememo.net/pics/wrx_vs_sti_steering_column.jpg

• 1 month later...
All 05+ Sti's use the same mounting system as the LGT, so it's possible.

Gambit: Where are you located? Is your LGT left-hand drive or right-hand drive?

Make sure you're really getting a 13:1 rack and it's LHD/RHD as appropriate. No USDM STI has ever been sold with one. Even most JDM and AUDM do not come with one AFAIK - only the Spec C and maybe some other special editions do.

In fact I'm not sure that any LHD STI's were ever sold with a 13:1 rack. Is there a such thing as a LHD Spec C? Prodrive make a 13:1 rack for LHD STI's but I'm not sure if it was ever used as a factory part. The Q-Rack is quicker and cheaper than the Prodrive one, so usually it makes more sense to get a Q-Rack unless you find a really good deal on a used Prodrive.

Also it seems more likely to me that a 2008-2011 STI rack would fit than a 2005-2007. The 2008+ Impreza has much more in common with the Legacy.

matt i am in Australia, with a 2008 GT spec B, RHD.

I have access to a RHD STI Spec C 13:1 steering rack from a Japspec GRB, which looks the same as an MY06 STI and the rack on the LGT MY05 3.0RB

here are some pics of the actual rack, that i may get if it fits.

1000000363.JPG

and

1000000362.JPG

I got this and its been my favorite mod.. http://landefabrication.com/steering.html

Pros--much quicker, firmer feeling steering, car is just plain fun to whip into turns, hardly ever need to take hands off wheel, they have put these in tons of rally/race cars, with 0 failures. you can buy this AND a spare column to turn it back to stock and still have $ left over instead of a q-rack.

cons--in ultra tight courses steering can be heavy.. after 2 yrs I have 3mm of "play" (which you never notice, from slight gear play) I was told zertz fitting and re-filing w/grease takes this away, for another 2 yrs.

just search "steering quickeners" outside of lgt or nasioc they are used all over motorsport.

Archived