LegacyGT.com

How many miles are on your 2nd gen Legacy?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello, New guy here.

I bought a '98 Legacy Limited last September with 238,000 miles. At present it has 242,000.

The best (only) picture I have at the moment is the one in the avatar. Really, It's there under the snow!

It runs really good but still needs quite a bit of work before I drive it up to Fairbanks this June.

I really would like to make contact with legacy LIMITED owners. There a number of things slightly different in the Limited - not shown in the service manual I have. I'll post the problems later.

Edited by Dave S

Hello, New guy here.

I bought a '98 Legacy Limited last September with 238,000 miles. At present it has 242,000.

The best (only) picture I have at the moment is the one in the avatar. Really, It's there under the snow!

It runs really good but still needs quite a bit of work before I drive it up to Fairbanks this June.

I really would like to make contact with legacy LIMITED owners. There a number of things slightly different in the Limited - not shown in the service manual I have. I'll post the problems later.

What questions do you have? I've got a 99 OBL

Thanks Guys. I really appreciate your generous offer of help.

So after I bought the car the first thing I did was take it to my favorite tire store to get a FREE inspection of everything under the car.

Side note: Almost anything that is R & R (remove and replace) I do myself. Alignment and calibration I pay someone with the right equipment to do it.

So when I came back a couple hours later my first question was;

“So why is the ABS LIGHT ON?”

Service rep: “Well sir, we did look into that. There were no error codes. So we think it's a missing ABS relay, but we couldn't find that either. It's not in the relay box where all the other relays are.”

Second “professional” mechanic; “Hey, I've got a super-duper code reader. Pulls out all the hidden codes.”

It did pull out 2 codes. Nothing related to the ABS.

Then I went to my Master Mechanic (no bragging – he really is good):

I explained the problem to him. His response:

“Dad, I don't do that stuff. Take it to a Subaru Dealer. Have their mechanic tell you where it is.”

So I went to the dealer. (PS: I seldom ever spend money at the Dealer)

Rule number one; customers can NOT talk directly to a mechanic. Explained problem to a “senior service writer”. He goes off, comes back in about 15 minutes. “The relay is somewhere around ABS hydraulic control block.” “Do you know where that is?” “Yes, I do”

NOT there. NOPE! No such luck.

So, Why is the ABS light on? That's my first question.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

PPS:

I did use the search box on this forum and after about and hour gave up and then signed up because I got the impression there were a bunch of really knowledgeable people here.

From searching I learned not to ask where to get a replacement cup holder. (LOL)

My Subi also originally came with a power antenna. It was missing altogether. Installing a new was easy. Making a strong custom support bracket for the bottom was a b*tch. But it's done.

Dave - it's likely that the tone ring or the rotation (ABS) sensor are missing or bad.

Tone Ring for the front axle is #11 in this photo

http://static.opposedforces.com/epc_img/366494928001.png

Or item #15 in this rear axle drawing.

http://static.opposedforces.com/epc_img/366494928101.png

The actual sensor itself is item # 1 in this drawing of the front and rear axles

http://static.opposedforces.com/epc_img/366494926707.png

That's where I'd start. GL and keep us posted.

And item #

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

^ Sometimes, if snow and/or ice cakes around the hub, the sensor mis-reads the tone ring turns so it could be environmental as well. Check out the area, and whether the sensor is loose or missing.

The reason the ABS light is on is that there is an error in the system - it's not reading one of the parameters correctly - which is why I think it's sensor-related. It won't always generate an error code in the computer.

You might find the attached useful in troubleshooting.

MSA5TCD98L21130.pdf

Another new member here. 140,xxx on the odometer. The car looks great inside and out, but there is definitely work that needs to be done to the motor. The mileage really sucks! Probably getting 18-19MPG highway. Luckily i found the MPG sticky, so I'll start on narrowing down the culprits. This forum has a lot of good info and is a great resource for Legacy owners. Search function is my friend!! Edited by Jeff98GT

Thanks SBT; I shall check it out first chance I get.

Wouldn't a missing or bad tone ring generate an error code?

My 99 Legacy L sedan only displays the ABS light, not an error code:

My tone rings have some of the cogs rusted away on a couple wheels and the others are currently in the process of rusting away; all 4 need to be replaced but I don't think it's worth it because the car is rusty and I will probably be parting it out sometime later this year when I buy another car. My ABS activates at speeds lower than ~25mph; this goes on for a few miles every time I drive the car. After the first couple miles, the ABS light comes on when the car finally realizes something is wrong and disables it. I really need to remove the ABS fuse...

I can't seem to find replacement tone rings that look right. Mine have the cogs on the side of the ring; all the ones that I've been able to find have the cogs along the outside like this:

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mBFVxte3UsGIZFnOgRJlBlQ.jpg

Look under Suspension at both front and rear axles, here. Think the tone ring is the same for both axles.

I saw your earlier post with those diagrams; #11 and #15 do look the same in the diagrams and on the car. However, even the diagrams show the cogs on the side of the ring; what I was confused about is why I can only find ones with the cogs on the outside edge of the ring.

I don't mean to be a part of this thread-jacking... lol

Great suggestion here, especially since you're not looking to spend a lot of coin on yours

And, BOT - my 98 BD GT 5MT has 81K on it. my 98 BD GT 4EAT has 119K on it.

Great suggestion here, especially since you're not looking to spend a lot of coin on yours

And, BOT - my 98 BD GT 5MT has 81K on it. my 98 BD GT 4EAT has 119K on it.

Would still be a lot of work for a car that I'm going to get rid of in a little while; given I can find a good deal on one of the cars I'm looking to buy at the end of summer.

I'll make threads (with pictures and videos) on changing the fuel filler neck and replacing the rear steel brake lines when I have time to work on them; probably won't be able to start on them for another 3-4 weeks. If you happen to notice the threads when I get them up, you'll probably be able to see how rusty my Legacy is and why it's not really worth fixing anything more than is necessary to make it run.

To stay slightly on topic, we also have 2 Impreza L Wagons:

1998 Impreza: 236,000 miles; we are currently installing a new timing belt, water pump, radiator, and eventually, one of the rear wheel bearings.

1999 Impreza: forget mileage...