LegacyGT.com

Providence, RI.... what to do

Magic Marker

So I'm thinking of taking my wife up to Providence for a weekend in March/ April and staying in the Providence Downtown Marriott.

Besides relaxing in the hotel, what else can we do in that area? How's the weather that time of year? I'm open to pretty much anything. Please throw me some ideas....

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

Yeah, there's the mall (with Dave and Busters). Fire and Ice is also a great place to grab a bite to eat. There's also a zoo not too far from where the mall is that my wife continually talks about (she's from RI). If you're driving to RI, you could spend a day in Newport (about 30 minutes south of Providence); it's a pretty big tourist town. There are about 7 different mansions that you can tour there (The Breakers is freaking insane and is the grandest in Newport).

I'm sure I could get more suggestions if I asked my wife.

Providence downtown is nice area for walking around if the weather is nice. Check the schedule for Water Fire ( http://waterfire.org/ ), it's always nice esspecially if it is a dance night. Brown University area is also nice for walking, you generally do not need the car around downtown. There is plenty of great places to eat, starting from the front of the Providence Mall, few great bars right accross the mall, Trinity brew house of you are fool for fresh brew beers (you see the process/equipment through the glass wall sitting at the bar), few really good restaurants ($$ to $$$), if you are OK with more pedestrian food then checkout Fellini's pizzeria (open until what, 4AM usually, BYOB is OK) and Coffee Exchange coffee house on Wickenden street ( http://sustainablecoffee.com/about-us/our-mission.html ); also some good Asian/Indian food there, and Wickenden pub (known as Wick with locals ;) ). Wick is bring your own food place, their specialty is beer ;)

I wouldn't hang out much in the mall really if the weather is nice; downtown simply has too much to offer.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

And since I said " if the weather is nice" I'll expand on that - Prov is windy place and in March/April can be bit cold to NJ people. Also weather changes so just dress in layers for the weather. Don't cross over the I95 through the bridges - nothing to see there really :)

Providence has some well known theatre life as well if you are into this kind of stuff.

And if you have time go down to Newport, park at visitors center and have a nice walk in historical downtown, again be aware this IS water front so may be breezy (girls tend to hate cold&wind). also too many good places to eat& drink to list them all (Mud tavern is one), Red Parrot is good there are plenty others not any worse but less exposed/crowded. Church where Kennedy wed is just one block up the hill from Red Parrot. I would suggest to do the Cliff Walk but I am not sure it got repaired since Sandy - same goes for Ocean drive (you'd see most of the mantions - this is a car drive).

Plan to spend at least half a day in Newport including travel from Providence. Toll bridge is kind of steep price ($4 each way) but hey Newport is worth it.

Good luck and have fun! Take some pics at the State House :) Also check that there are no races in downtown that weekend unless you like crazy runners crowd :) ( coolrunning.com is a good place for schedules and such)

Providence downtown is nice area for walking around if the weather is nice. Check the schedule for Water Fire ( http://waterfire.org/ ), it's always nice esspecially if it is a dance night. Brown University area is also nice for walking, you generally do not need the car around downtown. There is plenty of great places to eat, starting from the front of the Providence Mall, few great bars right accross the mall, Trinity brew house of you are fool for fresh brew beers (you see the process/equipment through the glass wall sitting at the bar), few really good restaurants ($$ to $$$), if you are OK with more pedestrian food then checkout Fellini's pizzeria (open until what, 4AM usually, BYOB is OK) and Coffee Exchange coffee house on Wickenden street ( http://sustainablecoffee.com/about-us/our-mission.html ); also some good Asian/Indian food there, and Wickenden pub (known as Wick with locals ;) ). Wick is bring your own food place, their specialty is beer ;)

I wouldn't hang out much in the mall really if the weather is nice; downtown simply has too much to offer.

Yes, the water fires in Providence are amazing. Not sure of the schedule and if they are open that time of year, but definitely a must if you're in the area.

Also as mentioned earlier, Fire & Ice is an interesting place.

There is a lot to do around the town, I know in the summer there's always people walking and there's a lot of stores and what not.

Providence Place Mall is exceptionally big and interesting as well.

Also, someone did mention Newport, that is a really cool place to visit, all the shops and all the fun things to do make it a pleasure to spend a day there.

Any suggestions about Newport, RI?

If you don't do one of these, you're doing it wrong.

http://www.newportmansions.org/explore

I suggest the Breakers; it is by far the most over-the-top house you will ever step foot in.

There's also the Tennis Hall of Fame, if you're tennis fans. And there's about a billion other touristy shops and restaurants. And there's a nice walking path along the coastal cliffs (it actually runs behind the Breakers), although I've yet to walk it myself.

Any suggestions about Newport, RI?

Historical downtown, mansion tours, Ocean drive, cliff walk, tennis hall (if open), bay cruises (not sure about the season though).

Purgatory Chasm is cool. Beaches are nice, (2nd beach is always cleaner than 1st). Water is generally clean, warm, and with decent sized waves.

A lot of places to eat, bars, restaurants, ice-cream, frozen yogurt.

A lot of stores to window shop. You can rent jet-skis, or rent those little buggy things and drive around.

If you're going to Providence for a visit... And you go to a chain restaurant fail.

Lots of cool small restaurants on Thayer Street (college type crowd).

If you want Italian.. Federal Hill (which most of the restaurants are on Atwells Ave)

(Caserta Pizza is slamming)

If you want to go to the beach for like.. Beach beach, The Newport beaches smell bad.

But lots of nice restaurants/things to do in Newport but it can be pricey.

Check out Naragansett Beach and head down to Point Judith. (Georges has the best Clamcakes & Rhode Island Chowder)

If you're looking for a nice drive, head down RT 6 Bear right onto RT 101. A ways down take a right onto RT 94. Then take a Left onto RT 44 which will eventually take you to I395. Take I395 south back to RT 6. It's not a long drive, but it's scenic and quiet great for a spirited drive.

Also as spc2125 stated Writes Chicken Farm which is on RT 102. If you take RT 146N out of Providence then take RT 102. Fantastic family style dinner. Salad, french fries, Pasta w/ Gravy (red sauce), and fall off the bone chicken.

Also Take SubOperator's knowledge... It's very accurate.

But really, if you go to a chain restaurant instead of a local one you're REALLY missing out.

Hope the weather is nice. Enjoy your time up here!

Archived