LegacyGT.com

What is a good replacement axle?

The 2nd axle I got was from Autopart International (206320) and was the correct one.

Got that from a PM that someone sent me after they were given the wrong axle from the auto parts store.

I posted that p/n back when I replaced one

Autopart Int is where Advance Auto Parts got my axle from.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The 2nd axle I got was from Autopart International (206320) and was the correct one.

Got that from a PM that someone sent me after they were given the wrong axle from the auto parts store.

I posted that p/n back when I replaced one

Autopart Int is where Advance Auto Parts got my axle from.

That was me :)

206320 is the correct one. Advance's computer is WRONG. Their system pulls up a 206319 which is not the same as our axles. They got it from Autopart International. Was $85

Do yourself a favor and pick up the $8 axle oil seal from the dealer also and replace it when you do the seal. They are different part numbers for the driver/passenger sides. I learned the hard way. Damaged the spring in the seal either on removal or install and had to redo the job again two days later with the new seal because I was dribbling tranny fluid. Simple piece of mind to change the seal at the same time and it's painless.

I put a GSP axle from Advanced Auto in my LGT wagon, and im thinking its causing alot of vibration at a stop. if you search for GSP Subaru other forums are reporting similar issues.

I plan on trying raxles or finding a used OEM axle.

I put a GSP axle from Advanced Auto in my LGT wagon, and im thinking its causing alot of vibration at a stop. if you search for GSP Subaru other forums are reporting similar issues.

I plan on trying raxles or finding a used OEM axle.

Can you tell us the p/n on that axle you got ?

The one I used was (206320) 100% new parts, not a re-man. No issues after over 2 years.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

The axle causes a vibration at a stop?

Remans tend to be better than new aftermarket axles. Remans are freshened up OEM axles so all the dimensions are correct. New axles aren't always built to OEM quality and are not always identical in dimensions to OEM ones.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Remans tend to be better than new aftermarket axles. Remans are freshened up OEM axles so all the dimensions are correct. New axles aren't always built to OEM quality and are not always identical in dimensions to OEM ones.

I guess you have never done a axle on a honda civic and used a re-man one.

With the Free life time replacement. I have changed as many as 4 before I got a good one.

yes shitty aftermarket axles can cause all kinds of vibrations in all kinds of different cars. Remans are not always better, as the parts are re-ground and can cause varying lengths in the axle causing some issues.

I had a torn boot on my passenger. My buddy who owns a shop insisted I just replaced the axle bc they're so cheap. So I had him order one for me. The cheap shitty axle (don't remember brand), caused all kinds of horrendous vibrations while in drive/gear at a stop, as soon as it was installed. Took that garbage axle out and replaced with a not so garbage empi axle for the same price. No vibrations with this one yet. When this one goes I'll just throw my oem axle back in with a fresh boot.

If I had more time before needing to replace it, I would've gone with a Raxle from Marty. He only uses new parts and oem shafts. Always received a fantastic product from them, and they're awesome to deal with as well.

So you guys are saying the bad axles cause vibrations.... at a stop?

I think it's mostly experienced in automatic cars. Never had a vibration while in drive at a stop. Put in cheap aftermarket axle, only thing changed, and the cabin/steering wheel vibrated like crazy. Take out and replace with different axle and vibration ceased. This is also been known to happen with vw's (where I've spent most of my car days), and apparently hondas as well. :lol:

Can you tell us the p/n on that axle you got ?

The one I used was (206320) 100% new parts, not a re-man. No issues after over 2 years.

The GSP from Advanced Auto went into my 5EAT LGT front passenger side.

Part# NCV66002

SKU# 10051717

It was 100% new axle Made in China.

Entire car vibrates at a stop. I guess I cant prove it until I swap the axle out again, but so far I found that if i turn the steering wheel when at a stop there will be some sweet spots where the vibration will stop or get alot worst. Another trick I found was to roll forward 1-2" and then stop again and all vibration would be gone.

Some links I found after searching around:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/20043-vibration-while-stopped-drive-following-axle-replacement-3.html

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/39615-vibration-under-load-stop-what-do.html

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/37399-vibration-idle-after-replacing-front-axles-solved-4.html

I'm still not seeing how an axle is causing a vibration when it's not moving.

The links Bbc84 has posted do show a common vibration issue, but no common solution. Some of the "explanations" for why a Chinese axle can cause a vibration at a stop are complete bull crap.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I don't have an "explanation" to satisfy you, but I can tell you this. Car has zero vibations, while moving or sitting still. Take out oem axle, put in cheap chinese axle. Vibrations like crazy while at a stop, slight vibrations in wheel at 80 mph. Next day replace cheap chinese axle with higher quality axle, and zero vibrations sitting/moving. The only variable ever changed was the axle.

I don't have an "explanation" to satisfy you, but I can tell you this. Car has zero vibations, while moving or sitting still. Take out oem axle, put in cheap chinese axle. Vibrations like crazy while at a stop, slight vibrations in wheel at 80 mph. Next day replace cheap chinese axle with higher quality axle, and zero vibrations sitting/moving. The only variable ever changed was the axle.

Harmonic imbalance? That would be about all I can think of for a non-moving part at a standstill?

Archived