LegacyGT.com

grounding kit

I'm no expert, and I'm a n00b here, but a grounding kit's purpose is to centralize all grounding points to a single one in an attempt to «clean up» the electrical flow in the car.

It's supposed to give a cleaner electrical input to spark plug wires, therefore a truer, better spark, in turn delivering better ignition. fact or fiction? Some claim as much as 6 rwhp on 350Z.

Cars with an electrical throttle body (as opposed to the classic, cable-operated one) report better throttl response by grounding that single component.

I had started installing one in my Z3 back in the day, but nevr got around to running the wire from the rear mounted battery to my front mounted grounding point, so...

Before I had my Legacy, I owned a 2001 Integra GSR. I made a grounding kit myself using 4 ga wire and installed it on my GSR. I noticed about a 2MPG increase in fuel mileage, the head lights were much brighter and the engine turned over much faster when starting. Before I sold the car, I pulled all the grounding wires out for my next car.

I installed the ground wires on my Legacy and noticed NO difference at all over the stock grounding system.

Before I had my Legacy, I owned a 2001 Integra GSR. I made a grounding kit myself using 4 ga wire and installed it on my GSR. I noticed about a 2MPG increase in fuel mileage, the head lights were much brighter and the engine turned over much faster when starting. Before I sold the car, I pulled all the grounding wires out for my next car.

I installed the ground wires on my Legacy and noticed NO difference at all over the stock grounding system.

Similar story here. Used grounding wires on previous vehicles, last one being a Hyundai Elantra GT (I know :lol:, but it was actually a great little car) that had a small but annoying dip in the powerband. I did the same and made my own grounding kit using 4 ga wire. It cured the hesitation, and did give me a few extra mpgs. Overall it completely smoothed out the motor. The whole premise is to give the motor a cleaner and stronger ground which seemed to work especially well when the grounds were placed around the distributor or coil packs.

One thing I learned about the LGT though, everything I used to know about tips and tricks to mod an N/A motor went totally out the window. For example, first thing I thought about getting for my LGT without doing any research was a cold air intake. Boy was I wrong. I think the ground wires are the same in this instance. Something that may have worked on other vehicles, doesn't appear to have any use for the LGT.

Archived