LegacyGT.com

When did you know it was time to sell your 4th gen?

At a decade, the LGT is showing signs of being in the middle of the "fix and repair old or worn-out parts" phase of ownership. :lol:

Can't complain... Six years of running 320/360 to the wheels, had to happen at somepoint.

For those with modified LGTs...when did you know it was time to move on?

I haven't learned yet...The wagon is still up on jacks waiting for the junkyard tranny to go in.

I posted the other day, even while driving my 09 Spec B and thinking how nice it is...it's still not the wagon...I miss it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It's time to replace when you no longer wish to invest in fixing it.

What needs to be replaced on the car? Mileage?

I still have no idea what I'd replace my wagon with. I could rebuild my entire car for what buying a 'better' wagon would cost.

When a part breaking is no longer viewed as "time to upgrade to a better part".

As long as you enjoy driving the car and you have fun modding it, you should keep it. When the car becomes a drag to work on it's time to get rid of it(speaking of my previous car).

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

It's time to replace when you no longer wish to invest in fixing it.

What needs to be replaced on the car? Mileage?

I still have no idea what I'd replace my wagon with. I could rebuild my entire car for what the cost of buying something 'better' would cost.

. . And then there's that angle. They truly do not make cars like these anymore, and, for the price to performance ratio, I don't really care to spend the money for something better. What I'd spend in rebuilding the transmission, or doing another engine rebuild is only a mere down payment on something else I'd rather drive, plus higher monthly payments.

Yes, the nickel-and-dime parts suck, especially when it feels like it never ends. For instance, I just rebooted a CV this weekend, and I fully expect I'll have to do the other side at some point, too. Then there's brakes, and suspension, and upgrades, and on and on and on. .

But at the end of the day, where else will you find a turbo AWD sedan (or wagon) that's (mostly) practical, gets OK mileage and doesn't get you undue attention on the freeway? AND one that's fun to drive?

It's time to sell when it you have a nagging issue like the air pump :lol: Man that damn system! But seriously when you think about a "new" car and payments and higher taxes (in VA we have PP taxes :mad:) $600 suspenion overhaul (Konis + used springs or a deal) isnt that bad. Even when the engine fails after thousands of miles of "proper care" that cost is still lower.

OR

When you get more than you expected in an offer and are kinda tired of worrying about the engine to fail after thousands of miles of "proper care" :)

Echoing my thoughts exactly... There is nothing else on the market that is similar, so I would be trading in the performance for practical matters, probably in the form of a 6MT Forester. Just seeing what others have to say that have made the switch. A personal choice I know; just curious.

To answer some some questions, Over the past 30 months it is been brakes, rebuild, LCA bushings, steering rack, output shaft bearing, and now I am looking at exhaust manifold (MadDad V2) slip joint leak/replacement.

Spending more time racing other things than the car, particularly when one track day costs almost as much as full season of bike/kayak/running races combined.

Thanks for the feedback so far...

• Moderators

My car is an '05 and will only have 80k on it after I drive home this evening. At this point, it's probably worth more in parts than it is in a private sale :lol: Guess I missed the boat on the "right time to sell" :lol:

What other AWD vehicle w/ ~350+ HP could I have for even remotely close to the same amount of money? Some things would be nice like factory tech options, HIDs, and a larger back seat, but other than that...?

If I had known that I was going to do a full 6mt swap, I would have ponied up for an 08/09 model as a starting platform, but oh well.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
What about the 08/09 model do you like better? Just that it's newer?

Plus, you found a car with no rust...

Yeah, it just would have been an '08/09 OBXT--the interior leather is nicer in my experience and it would be lower mileage, that's really it. Don't really care about SI-drive.

But yes, my car was rust free. Worth it.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Bought my first new Subaru in the fall of 1981 and presently we have a 2004 Legacy 35th, 05 Legacy I, 05 Legacy GT (son) and a 2010 Forester (Wife). My idea to upgrade would be to a clean 08-09 Legacy. Subaru has nothing with the size and sport appeal to lure me back since, the 2010 Legacy debut, otherwise I would go else where.

. . And then there's that angle. They truly do not make cars like these anymore, and, for the price to performance ratio, I don't really care to spend the money for something better. What I'd spend in rebuilding the transmission, or doing another engine rebuild is only a mere down payment on something else I'd rather drive, plus higher monthly payments.

Yes, the nickel-and-dime parts suck, especially when it feels like it never ends. For instance, I just rebooted a CV this weekend, and I fully expect I'll have to do the other side at some point, too. Then there's brakes, and suspension, and upgrades, and on and on and on. .

But at the end of the day, where else will you find a turbo AWD sedan (or wagon) that's (mostly) practical, gets OK mileage and doesn't get you undue attention on the freeway? AND one that's fun to drive?

It looks damn good, too, and its appearance has and will continue to age well. People still ask me if it's a new car, even though it's currently 6-7 years and 102,000 miles old. It's rare to have that, and to receive compliments all the way from car guys who know what it is to single 20-something women/girls who have no idea what it is to middle aged men and women to my 89 year old grandma. If this thing had said "Toyota" on the back, it would have sold hundreds and hundreds of thousands of units. I ******* love this car. It's also nice having the unique feeling in driving a vehicle that almost no one else has, and that you hardly ever see out on the road.

The only thing close to it on the market these days is the Audi A3/S3, but I'd never want to buy one because of the stupidly terrible reliability and inevitable repair bills if I chose to keep it past the warranty period.

This past June I let my Audi buddy, he has a S4 after selling his S8 and has a Cayman as his toy, drive the wagon. He said he was pleasently surprised with how good it felt. That was with all our gear in it for working the Mt Washington Hill climb. He also weigh's in at around 250lbs.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

RUST! If I love a car, I'll rebuild the motor/tranny, replace susp parts, etc for as long as I can get them.

But in NY state, with all the salt we use on the roads, there comes a time that you get tired of having your body guy fix rust spots.

• 1 month later...

In lieu of a separate thread about "When did you know it was time to sell your 4th gen and then decide not to sell it"...

We had actually made up our minds to sell the Legacy this fall, thinking it was time to get something with better MPG. My driving pattern changed this year and turned to mostly city miles which is just terrible mileage here in Chicago, on top of that we had 2 10 year old turbo Subarus and were getting a bit worried about the maintenance and repairs, although aside from a WRX clutch that died on a trip they've both been really solid cars.

We were thinking new Mazda3, Mazda5 etc since the newer Subarus just don't do it for me. Had a classified ad up and everything. Decided to spend some time prepping the car for sale and while doing test drives on potential replacements realized nothing comes remotely close and decided to keep the GT, for at least another winter. I think it was one day in particular in which I had to carry the car seat, plus a bunch of 7' boxes, and actually had a great patch of roads to let the car loose (minus car seat occupant and boxes of course) and actually got to enjoy and use the car the way it's meant to work. There really isn't anything that offers this much usable space in an attractive non-SUV package, while being superb in weather and fast all the time. That and every single new car I looked at looked weird inside compared to the Legacy. Digital gauges are freaking terrible, and a blue light does not replace a coolant temp gauge!

Happy to rock the fastwagen for a while longer. Anybody had similar story?

Almost allof us have a similar story. Unfortunately, they just don't make exciting cars anymore, and, even for a ten-year-old vehicle, it still holds its own today. It's very hard to find something as fast, comfortable and good-looking for the price.

Archived