LegacyGT.com

Timing Belt Service: Driver side cams rotated

So I finally had some free time to do my timing belt service and it was all smooth sailing till i had to remove the belt after removing the second smooth idler on the bottom end.

I had both sides clamped down with the "bolt" method and a vice grip lightly holding the drivers side cams.

As soon as i carefully removed the belt from the crankshaft gear and the idler right next to it, the drivers side cams decided to fling all of the things holding them in place and freely rotate.

Good thing is that there's no damage whatsoever on the cams.

Right now i still have the belt hanging loose on the remaining tensioner and passenger side cams. They are still lined up as well as the crankshaft.

Can anybody give me an idea how to line them all up again? :spin:

As far as I can tell from the stuff found from googling this subject, I just rotate the top cam clockwise back to align the marks and the lower cam counter clockwise back to align with the top and side marks.

Is that really all i need to do at this point?

I'm thinking CCW, just back it up. It's been a long time since I did mine. Those cams are under load because the pitons are midway in the cylinders.

We were talking about this the other day in another thread here.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/timing-belt-jumping-skipping-teeth-question-230423.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

i rotated the upper cam CW and backed it a bit CCW when I was trying to align the belt marks. Same deal with the lower cam but CCW and backed it CW.

After getting the 4 cams, crank and T-belt marks all lined up, I gave the crank shaft two rotations by hand and the timing marks all lined up perfectly. I rotated the crank several times by hand and the timing marks always line up after the second rotation.

Does this mean I'm good to go?

It was relatively easy to turn the crank over with the exception of the feel of the force of the valve springs at some point during the rotation.

Yes, you should be good. You can start it up, without the covers and drive belts just to be safe. I'd make sure there was coolant, if you want start it before the covers are on. Coolant so you don't get any sensors throwing a code.

Bolt the crank pulley on.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived