Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

Ahhh you answered all my questions exactly how I hoped :) Wonderful! I have a feeling I am going to go this route. A few more questions :)

Do you have any pics of the setup outside of the computer? I particularly want to see how big the case is and how much room is left inside of it. Did the Mobo come with the fan, or you added it yourself?

Also, if you're using the M3-ATX, how come you're making another startup/shutdown controller? I'm assuming the factory PSU that you mention is the one that came with the Artigo kit?

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah the factory psu is the 60 watt one that came with the artigo kit. It's really not bad, but it has a few problems - namely not a whole lot of overhead for adding extras, you have to find a regulated 12v power source, and it doesn't have any extra headers for sata, or ata or anything. The artigo kit assumes you will use a pata laptop drive, which is what i did, but some people might demand sata and then you'd have to find a new psu to provide sata power.

As for my startup/shutdown controller, i wanted a different setting then the m3 provided, but i'm reprogramming the m3 for a different setting (that's why i got this one). The other reason was it's small enough to fit in the artigo case once you remove the artigo psu. I'll try and take pics this afternoon and post.

BTW the motherboard comes with the heatsink/fan, but when i've had it inside my house, i've disconnected the fan and it's silent, though the heatsink does get slightly warmer to the touch.

Interesting. I definitely think I am going to go the route that you went. It seems to be the best solution for me. I was planning on going SATA as well. I don't think it should be a big deal. I am thinking that if I order the parts separately everything should be fine.

What is the setting with the M3 that you are not liking? You using a Lilliput or Xenarc screen?

edit: Do you have any issues with hibernate/standby and coming out of it?

Edited by nemo

I'm just changing the startup delay to 5 seconds, and the shutdown delay to 15 min - a lot of times i go places for <15 mins and i don't want the machine to turn off if i'm only going to be gone for a short while, but i also don't want it to stay on for 30. Hibernate is working super well for me thus far - with RC1 of centrafuse i was having issues waking up the obd serial cable, but RC2 i haven't had any problems.

Awesome awesome awesome. I looked at the Artigo kit and it is a bit pricey, but I think it might be worth it considering it seems that the Artigo case is the smallest of what is out there. A separate case seems to run ~$100 anyways.

Got any regrets with the lilliput? I haven't found a definitive answer on whether to go Lilliput vs Xenarc.

Also... I'm looking at a picture of the PX, and I don't seem to see where the M3-ATX would go. In that linked picture, would it get plugged into the set of jumpers directly under the center of the fan?

Edited by nemo

The pico board isn't big enough for the regualar atx plug, so it uses a smaller one, but includes an adapter. The power switch headers are right underneath the fan with all the others (DVI, USB, COM, ETC)

It'll make more sense when i take pics tonight and post them :)

oh , and as for case - in hindsight, i probably would have made my own seeing how the psu that was intended for it lasted all of a few hours :lol:

oh, and i love my lilliput :) There's all kinds of threads on the lilliput xenarc debate on mp3car.com

Looks like this is the setup I want to get... Just dont have the funds yet ;) lol

How does the computer do speed wise. I'm looking at running MP3's while doing nav... But overall I'm looking to get nav, bluetooth phone connection, sirius radio, mp3's and dvd... Possibly OBDII in the future, but that'll be later. I was looking at the http://store.mp3car.com/VIA_C7_2_0GHz_Processor_Mini_ITX_Express_p/mtb-022.htm 2ghz mini-itx one...

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

I think I am gonna go this route as well. Definitely. I think that case can slide right into the owner manual booklet slot in the glove compartment. I started pricing it at work just now... and this is what I've come up with:

Artigo Kit: $299.99

RAM/HDD: $86.98

Slim DVD: $49.99

M3-ATX: $79.99

BR-355 (GPS): $39.99

Lilliput: $200

Got prices from websites... everything + shipping came out to ~ $790

A tad more than what I wanted to spend. But if I can get everything into the glovebox, or behind the HVAC/Cubby, it will be worth it.

Edited by nemo
updated prices

so is Centrafuse RC2 worth the upgrade ?

definitely - RC 1 was so buggy, i ended up going back to 1.47 but RC2 has been running like a champ - i love it.

As for speed, it's still only a 1ghz processor, but with a gig of ddr533 it holds out really nice - i wouldn't use less then that if you're going to run SD or CF - maybe frodoplayer or RR, but with as cheap memory is these days, it's not worth it. I've had iguidance up, playing mp3s and i'll get a phone call and there's no lag at all. Really impressive for such a small package.

One other thing - i was originally going to put the Artigo setup in the glove box pocket but a few things stopped me:

I didn't want to open the glove box and see all my usb cables hanging out everywhere - it needed to look OEM or be hidden.

The pocket would need to either be cut or removed completely to string cables in your console. Removing the pocket left dead space that you could see around into the dash pretty easily - it also made the Heater blower louder when it was on (i thought it looked tacky) (BTW, if you decide to cut your pocket, and want another to go back to stock or incase you mess up, The king of parts sells them for $14 bucks :eek: and the part number is 66128AG02A)

Also, the artigo case will NOT sit side by side a 5.25" laptop DVD drive in the pocket without modification! It will either have to sit on top, or you'll have to flip the artigo case so that it's in length wise.

Thanks for the info.

I was planning on squeezing the Artigo in that pocket slot and see how it works. I don't mind cutting the pocket, especially if I can get a new one. If I can get the whole package hidden behind the HVAC unit like you did, I will probably end up doing that, and putting the CD drive in the glove compartment. I want it to look as clean and OEM as possible, but if I'd trade it off for the accessibility of having it in the glove compartment.

AHH

There was one more thing i was going to say about the PX10000 board:

It's ridiculously picky about memory, especially if you're going to get a 1gb stick. It uses laptop memory (200pin) and it MUST be low density. That means 64mb x 16 chips NOT 128mb x 8 chips (which a lot are) Just be careful, and if you're not sure, buy this stuff - it's cheap and is proven to work well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SAMSUNG-1GB-DDR2-533MHz-PC4200-200-Pin-SODIMM-Pico-ITX_W0QQitemZ140230025033QQihZ004QQcategoryZ158897QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

If you're looking for better prices on the components that you're looking for, let me know. I might be able to get you better prices :)

I'm absolutely looking for better prices. What can you come up with?

Alright - i'm nearly complete with my install - only a little bit of trouble shooting to go (i'll get to that)

First, the case: Something inportant to mention: The M3-ATX doesn't really fit in the case anymore that i re-installed the USB/audio card on the front. It's probably better that it's out of the case too for ventiliation purposes.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/alaskajoel/DSC07398.jpg

And the cable adapters:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/alaskajoel/DSC07400.jpg

This was the original PSU that i ripped out:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/alaskajoel/DSC07401.jpg

The space it's all getting shoved in:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/alaskajoel/DSC07402.jpg

Xp Loaded:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/alaskajoel/DSC07405.jpg

Centrafuse RC2 Loading:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/alaskajoel/DSC07407.jpg

Centrafuse RC2 Loaded:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/alaskajoel/DSC07411.jpg

The End Result?

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/alaskajoel/DSC07427.jpg

Alright, now for the problem solving. Someone needs to correct me if i'm wrong, because i may not entirely understand the M3-ATX power supply. The computer loads perfect, hybernates great, and resumes great almost every time. The problem is after Centrafuse is loaded and i'm playing music or something usually within 10-15 minutes, everything dies. The power supply just gives up, and i'm left with a blank screen. So i'll pull over, turn off the engine, wait a minute, turn the engine back on, and it'll boot again. It'll run fine for another 10-15 min or so, and then die again. Kinda weird, but i guess that's the nature of carputers.

I ripped everything apart again to make sure there's not a heat problem, and with it being a cool 60 degrees in my car, it still does it. The M3 says it's 120 watts, but i'm only using the 20 pin atx connector - not the sata, hard driver, or other connectors. Would this be overloading it if i only use that one plug? I'm going to try and unplug all of my other devices tommorow as this didn't happen until i put everything together for the final time (meaning i finally pluged in my dvd-rw, bluetooth, wireless mouse, wi-fi card, etc) I'm guessing i just overloaded it, but i really don't have a clue.

Other then that, it's great! If ya'll have any bright ideas, i'm all ears :D

(i guess the only other problem is i may be getting engaged by the end of the summer and need some extra coin...when that happens, MR. carputer is the first to get sold)

Alright - i'm nearly complete with my install - only a little bit of trouble shooting to go (i'll get to that)

First, the case: Something inportant to mention: The M3-ATX doesn't really fit in the case anymore that i re-installed the USB/audio card on the front. It's probably better that it's out of the case too for ventiliation purposes.

Alright, now for the problem solving. Someone needs to correct me if i'm wrong, because i may not entirely understand the M3-ATX power supply. The computer loads perfect, hybernates great, and resumes great almost every time. The problem is after Centrafuse is loaded and i'm playing music or something usually within 10-15 minutes, everything dies. The power supply just gives up, and i'm left with a blank screen. So i'll pull over, turn off the engine, wait a minute, turn the engine back on, and it'll boot again. It'll run fine for another 10-15 min or so, and then die again. Kinda weird, but i guess that's the nature of carputers.

I ripped everything apart again to make sure there's not a heat problem, and with it being a cool 60 degrees in my car, it still does it. The M3 says it's 120 watts, but i'm only using the 20 pin atx connector - not the sata, hard driver, or other connectors. Would this be overloading it if i only use that one plug? I'm going to try and unplug all of my other devices tommorow as this didn't happen until i put everything together for the final time (meaning i finally pluged in my dvd-rw, bluetooth, wireless mouse, wi-fi card, etc) I'm guessing i just overloaded it, but i really don't have a clue.

Other then that, it's great! If ya'll have any bright ideas, i'm all ears :D

(i guess the only other problem is i may be getting engaged by the end of the summer and need some extra coin...when that happens, MR. carputer is the first to get sold)

The M3 should be able to handle up to 120W. The PX board runs at ~13W. I can't imagine that the dvd-rw, bluetooth, mouse, etc are causing it to overload.

Try going into WinXPs administrative tools, and checking the system logs to see if there are any errors. That might give you a hint as to why it's shutting down. I would think though if it was a system error/failure, it would restart the computer automatically, or BSOD.

Maybe there is a loose wire/connection somewhere that's getting tugged on? I'd try asking over at mp3car forums, they'll probably have better answers than I will ;)

Oh, and if you want to get rid of Mr. Carputer now, I'll take it :lol:

A few things to check...

1) Your system standby/shutdown times for XP... All the power saving features

2) Doesnt the P/S have a mode that allows it to remain on and off for certain periods of time, some type of software or something that you can access all those features through. You might try that out and see if there is something in there.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

It could also be a voltage problem: the Carnetix PSU if the voltage drop below a predefined limit shut itself off. I don't know if the M3-ATX has something similar...

That is what I was thinking too, but from the little that I read I thought the M3 regulates the voltage. I might be wrong. Also, I thought the only time there was a real voltage fluctuation problem was during crank time.

The M3 will regulate voltages as low as 6 volts for a little while, but not more then a minute. I'm pretty sure that with only the carputer on this power line there deff. wouldn't be a reason for the voltage to drop to less then 12. I'm thinking i've got a soldier somewhere that isn't making a complete connection because it's only doing then when i'm driving - if i start the car and idle in one place it stays on.

The M3 will regulate voltages as low as 6 volts for a little while, but not more then a minute. I'm pretty sure that with only the carputer on this power line there deff. wouldn't be a reason for the voltage to drop to less then 12. I'm thinking i've got a soldier somewhere that isn't making a complete connection because it's only doing then when i'm driving - if i start the car and idle in one place it stays on.

That's what I am thinking as well. What are you using for your 12V source? What about your ground?