LegacyGT.com

New Purolator Pureone Filter - Now with grit

I went to the autoparts store tonight to pick up oil and filter to change the oil. I looked on the shelf and what did I see? Purolator came out with a new Pureone filter design to replace the old Pureone Micronic filter. The new design covers the entire case with a "textured grip control" substance. The only problem, not only is the case covered with grit, but the grit is coming off the casing and is inside the filter!!! :eek: Think of it like trying to stay clean eating a powdered donut.

This is on Purolators website -

"Not only are PureONE filters 99.9% efficient, they’re also 100% covered in textured grip control. This product feature allows for optimum installation and easy removal. So put away your filter wrenches and pick up the one filter on the shelf that’s completely covered in grip texture."

They are right! The filter is 100% covered in textured grip control. Why would I change my oil only to introduce "grit" back into the engine via the filter?

Am I missing something here? :confused:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe you got one of the early prototypes:lol:. I just did a change and got one of those filters too. There was no free flying grit in the box or inside the filter on mine. The outside casing was covered with grit, but the top of it was shiny and new and not a spec inside the filter.
Let's kick this pig!

Damn, I hope so! Otherwise I will have to start buying Subaru filters...

BTW, I love your sig and use it on a regular basis. (Down Periscope) Everyone always looks at me funny though...

Can I confirm the part number is PL14612? I bought two and just installed one on my car.....such a small filter, freaks me out :)

Love Purolator Pure One. Mine was sparkly blue, no grit, no textured outside. $6 at pep boys.

Joe

Can I confirm the part number is PL14612? I bought two and just installed one on my car.....such a small filter, freaks me out :)

Love Purolator Pure One. Mine was sparkly blue, no grit, no textured outside. $6 at pep boys.

Joe

The blue ones were the old design. The new ones are yellow.

Joe

Same here. That's the ONLY oil filter Pep Boys has in stock for our cars. Fram doesn't make one or at least that Pep Boys keeps in inventory.

I might have to buy the Subie filter for $10 for now on.

Joe

PL14610 is the same diameter but about 1/2 to 3/4 " longer. Thats the one ;) use.

^^^ I think most late model Honda/ Acura products use that size. For me it makes things easy in my house I have a 2003 Accord V6 , a 2006 honda civic and my 2005

Legacy Gt. I use the PL14610 for them all.

meh ive been using the bigger filter its a 14660 or 14460 something like those

discount advance stocks both filters, the lgt and the other one which i think is for a n/a

discount /advace is part of partsamerica.com

If the bigger filter for the Acura works for the Legacy 08, why do they only show us the smaller one?

I think the older 05-06 subaru filters were bigger than the current ones (same length, but wider/fatter around) , and from what I read they swapped to smaller diameter ones because the wider ones were too close to the exhaust manifold, maybe cooking oil? or just heating oil too much. The acura sized ones I use on my 08' is same diameter just 25% taller or so. Maybe it hangs too low for subaru to allow it? incase someone bottoms out and rams the filter into the ground? but by that time I think there would be bigger problems than that.

When I got my 08 and went to buy the filter for it, I was like wow, that's some small filter. My 97 LGT filter was about 50% bigger and they offered a high capacity filter for the 97 and I was looking for one for 08 but they don't have one. If the bigger one for the Acura works, I'll try that one, but i'm putting my trust in you guys.

I checked every brand and they are all the same small size.

I think the older 05-06 subaru filters were bigger than the current ones (same length, but wider/fatter around) , ...

Yep, pl14460. When I did our first oil change, the catalog did not have the 06 info, so I assumed '05 would be fine, not knowing the '06 header was different (non-turbo). I still use the pl14460.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

• 1 month later...
When I got my 08 and went to buy the filter for it, I was like wow, that's some small filter. My 97 LGT filter was about 50% bigger and they offered a high capacity filter for the 97 and I was looking for one for 08 but they don't have one. If the bigger one for the Acura works, I'll try that one, but i'm putting my trust in you guys.

I checked every brand and they are all the same small size.

My 05 LGT filter was half the size of my 02 Forester 2.5 N/A.

• 2 months later...

Archived