LegacyGT.com

Shuddering Problem

GTnutz

Just picked up a new Legacy GT :icon_bigg and the day after I took it home it started to loose power and shudders every time I put my foot into it at 3,800rpm's. This problem only happens when I want instant boost. If I roll the power on its fine. I have put 500 miles on it since I picked it up, as well as two full tanks of gas.

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem????????:confused:

If not its back to the dealer.:(

Thanks

Is your car cold or warm when this happens? If it isn't warmed up then it will do that kind of thing no matter how old your car is. As far as the stuttering goes, do a search on that. There are things the dealership can do to fix it.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

....but yeah I've found AP doesn't even help that at all.

+1

The off-the-shelf Cobb AccessPort maps seem to be an erratic and un-reliable fix, if at all, with many citations of return to "stuttering/studdering" after 0 to 500 miles.

A good, custom or even semi-custom map seems to have helped many, though.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

It shouldn't do it once it warms up. Subaru has a fix for it that they can provide. They send your ECM to SOA in New Jersey and then have it reflashed to fix the problem. It helped for about a thousand miles and then the problem came back. Then it disappeared altogether when I hit about 8000 miles. No problems since. All cars are going to hesitate a bit when the engine is cold and you try to whomp on it. You need to let it warm up before you try doing anything like that. Once it warms up then the stutter shouldn't be there.

Call your dealership and tell them about it. They may be aware of the issue and have the fix all ready for you.

OCDETAILS BLOG

It shouldn't do it once it warms up. Subaru has a fix for it that they can provide. They send your ECM to SOA in New Jersey and then have it reflashed to fix the problem. It helped for about a thousand miles and then the problem came back. Then it disappeared altogether when I hit about 8000 miles. No problems since. All cars are going to hesitate a bit when the engine is cold and you try to whomp on it. You need to let it warm up before you try doing anything like that. Once it warms up then the stutter shouldn't be there.

Call your dealership and tell them about it. They may be aware of the issue and have the fix all ready for you.

I heard that they stopped doing this. no?

^ I also heard that the SoA reflash fix is also either non-permanent or of variable success. :(

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

I haven't heard that they quit doing it. I suppose it could be true. It didn't really work all that well when they did mine. It worked at first and then it came back. Anyway, I had mine done in September I think, so as of then my dealership was still doing it.

OCDETAILS BLOG

So...buy an AP, UP and full catless 3" TBE with a Protune and your studdering will be GONE. I no longer have this annoyance. I attribute most of it to that ass stock catback. As soon as I did the CBE, no more studdering!!! :) The Protune smoothed things out even further. Mods FTW. Every stock LGT I've driven does it...mine even did it with UP, DP, AP Stg 2. Not anymore.

So the dealer really can’t help me?? Or I should say that they can help but the problem will most likely com back??

My only option is to buy an AP, UP, and a full TBE???? Nothing like buying a new car and having to through a bunch of performance parts at it to make it run right.

Thanks

GTnutz -

Not that you shouldn't go to your dealer - you should at least give the SoA-fix a try, as it just may work out for you. :)

What we're trying to say is that none of these seem to be a "sure-fire" fix. And that so far, the only thing that seems to have "cured" the issue without exception is a professional custom or semi-custom tune. However, that latter observation should note the fact that there have been far less samples of such vehicles to gather data from, and it could simply be an issue of there not being enough vehicles with such a modification to yet "see" one that has had that problem return.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived