LegacyGT.com

Groove on the rotor?

SUBBROS

Does anyone else have a groove running alongside their brake rotor? I dont know if this was done on purpose or not. I have it only on my drivers side front rotor. If this was done purposely, why only on rotor? Do I need to take it back to the dealership to get it checked out? The dealership was giving me some BS, so I dont think they know either.

SUBEBROS, let me first welcome you to the site. Thanks for coming onboard. 2ndly Yup get it checked out ASAP. A lot of the guys in the forum have had to take their GT's back with the same Issue. SUBE555 had to take his back, he is in the States and John who resides in Oz had to take his back. If they say to machine the brakes, SAY NO, U want new ones as this shouldnt happen especially on such a new and expensive vehicle. Looks like a World Wide Issue. Seth, did u happen to put this in yr letter to Subaru as well? SUBBROS, let us know how you get on at yr dealership. Best of luck with it Adam.

I have the same deep groove in my left front rotor. Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I also notice fairly heavy pulsing when I brake hard. Hopefully that's related to the groove and not warped rotors. Either way, I appreciate the advice to get the rotor replaced as it reinforces my thought.

Alright, I don't feel alone and it's others with the same left front rotor. Not something that should be 'normal' as I'm told by 2 different dealerships, they can't do anything about it I'm told. Unfortunate for Subaru, this visual flaw doesn't look good for Subaru build quality as EVERYONE notices it. It might not be detremental, but it sure is visible. I know scoring is possible from stones and such, but I've been told by a number of people who are mechanics that I know and regularly work on cars that it is way too deep for normal scoring by stones. Makes me wonder how much of the individial casting is flawed.

Hmm I noticed one groove about 1cm from the outside edge of the rotor, but it was on the passanger side of the vehicle. I am not really to worried about it, if this is as bad as it gets I will be very happy. My wrx wasn't as lucky, it had tons of deep grooves. Worst of all subaru didn't cover it, because I got new pads, the grooving started before I put new pads on, and even my friend in another wrx never changed pads and his was just as bad.

I'll see if I can get around to it when I get home. ;) I'm jetting from the lab right after this post, home for the weekend. I think it is extremely important to look down the road at things to come. If you don't look more than a few inches in front of you, you will always be stumbling along, look a full arms length and things are generally a bit more clear. I try to look 3-5 years down the road.

My groove seems a bit futher out on the rotor, and not as wide as that one. That one looks like one I got on my WRX when I installed new DBA rotors. What was happening was, the rotor was scratching these metal brake brackets on the caliper. Do you ever hear any grinding noises when turning? Try this test, find a place you can do slow full locking turns (about 5-10 mph) just going in circles. Try both directions and vary your speed a little to see if you hear any grinding noises. Also look at it afterwards to see if you can see any difference. I hate to say it, but it could be a wheel bearing issue, atleast this is what was causing my rotors to lean into the caliper causing that type of groove. The only thing is, your car is so new, I don't see how you could have a bad wheel bearing already, unless it was a bad part from the factory. If I were you I would atleast get this documented now by subaru, get them to sign something saying they atleast see the problem so they can't deny you coverage later, as they did with me (I only had 25k miles too, they called it abuse)

[quote name='SUBE555']Here is mine. This was taken after 370 miles. [img]http://homepage.mac.com/futureofx/.Pictures/NEWGT/ScoreZOut.JPG[/img] [img]http://homepage.mac.com/futureofx/.Pictures/NEWGT/ScoreZIn.JPG[/img][/quote] SUBE555, What brand of wheel locks are you using? I have a set of stock ones and they look like....well..CRAP! If you could get me a part number and who makes them, I would be greatfull. Regards, Chris

Factory wheel locks. I had the rotor looked at with 466 miles on the car (couldn't get it in until like a week after I had it- noticed it on second day.) The service slip reads as follows, word by word... INSPECT. CUSTOMER NOTICED A MARK ON THE LF ROTOR REMOVED THE BRAKE PADS AND INSPECTED THE ROTOR. THE ROTOR LOOKS NORMAL. *** That's what they put on the service ticket. I'll take a look at it. I should get my car up and clean the inside of the wheels soon anyhow before they get too dirty. I'll inspec it closer when I do that then.

[quote name='SUBE555']Factory wheel locks. I had the rotor looked at with 466 miles on the car (couldn't get it in until like a week after I had it- noticed it on second day.) The service slip reads as follows, word by word... INSPECT. CUSTOMER NOTICED A MARK ON THE LF ROTOR REMOVED THE BRAKE PADS AND INSPECTED THE ROTOR. THE ROTOR LOOKS NORMAL. *** That's what they put on the service ticket. I'll take a look at it. I should get my car up and clean the inside of the wheels soon anyhow before they get too dirty. I'll inspec it closer when I do that then.[/quote] Normal?? lol. Maybe it's subaru's version of slotted rotors. Ask them to machine the others to match. What a joke!
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

I have a similar marking on my front left rotor, but I ran my fingers over it and it doesn't appear to be a groove, only a white colored ring as it were. So it appears to be some sort of a discoloration. Should I be concerned that it might develop into a groove?

so i just got back from the dealer. they said they wouldnt replace the rotor cuz it was still under factory specs. meaning that they could machine it and there would still be enough rotor to not require a new replacement. i tried to hassle with them, but to no avail. my tech guy said that sometimes things get caught in the brake pad and cause those grooves. so i just had them check out the pads and rotors. they found some particle in there that was affecting it, so they sanded the pads. didnt have them machine the rotors though. they said it wouldnt do anything and that over time the pad would wear the rotor down so itll eventually become even. well, might as well have as much rotor as possible. replacing those are expensive.

My dealership didn't hassle me on the rotor groove at all. They told me they would replace it under warranty as it would reduce the life of the rotor to turn it. They said the cause was definitely a pad defect or incorrect original assembly. I was prepared for a fight and was happy to encounter common sense. I am getting the replacement rotor and pads this weekend.

Archived