LegacyGT.com

Oil changes without jacking up the car?

Hey all,

I live in an apartment, so have no garage, or room to keep a full sized jack/etc.

In the past I've done oil changes at friends' garages, but it's starting to be a hassle since I'm commuting a lot more for work.

How easily can you change the oil in an LGT without jacking up the car? I only have an emergency spare tire jack, and no jack stands, so it would be a bit of a PITA.

I don't really want to buy all that stuff either, because I have a tiny apartment and nowhere to store extra junk.

Any cheater/simpler ways to change oil? (With standard oil I might just pay someone else to do it since it's cheap with a coupon, but synthetic is damn expensive - like $50 instead of $25 on my own).

On a stock springs, it should be fairly easy to reach down and take the plug out. Make sure the oil pan is directly in path of the oil before pulling the plug. I'm sure the landlords wouldn't like oil every where.
My wife's balls are delicious.

you can buy a ramp and drive the car up the ramp

but don't get under the car with just a scissor jack...or any jack for that matter

Ramps. No need to jack up the car, you just drive up them. I understand you don't have much space, but seriously - you can get ones that stack together, and they take up so little space. I've been using ramps to change my oil for a long time. (Except on my Tacoma, I could just walk under that thing :rolleyes:)

i made a set of mini-ramps for just this sort of thing. Each are three pieces of 2x8 lumber in a "step" config. I put a small piece of wood at the end of the top step so i don't overshoot. I can send dimensions if interested.

x2

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I made some ramps out of 2x12. I'll get 3" of lift just using them, but they connect with a set of rhino ramps if I need more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Archived