LegacyGT.com

How does the outback do on the highway?

Hows the car track on the highway? Is it pretty easy to drive hours on end without feeling fatigued?

I know with my wrx at the moment, is horrendous on the highway, i dont even want to take it on a short trip away.

It doesnt track straight, its got massive wind noise, and it just doesnt feel rock solid at 80MPH. Around the mountain passes its a king, but im talking long distance traveling.

Im looking for a replacment, and have the outback xt and legacy gt on my top list. Along with a acura TL-S.

I drive mine 100 miles per day, and really enjoy it. The long wheelbase really helps smooth things out.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I just got a 2008 Outback XT and I am amazed at how good it is. I am coming from a 2007 Honda Fit (which is really loud and noisy on the freeway) There are very few squeaks (nothing consistent) and it tracks well. Really no issues with it's highway manners.

I took my '05 OBXT with manual transmission on a 2800 mile road trip, mostly on Interstate highways. Smooth, quiet ride. Comfortable driving it all day.

Plenty of power.

Only one small issue: With the turbocharger it averaged about 24 MPG on the Interstate, with a maxium of 25.7 MPG. This was with the cruise control on, usually maintaining about 65-70 MPH.

By comparison, my '96 Impreza gets a steady 30 MPG under similar conditions, but it is more cramped and noisy.

I took my '05 OBXT with manual transmission on a 2800 mile road trip, mostly on Interstate highways. Smooth, quiet ride. Comfortable driving it all day.

Plenty of power.

Only one small issue: With the turbocharger it averaged about 24 MPG on the Interstate, with a maxium of 25.7 MPG. This was with the cruise control on, usually maintaining about 65-70 MPH.

By comparison, my '96 Impreza gets a steady 30 MPG under similar conditions, but it is more cramped and noisy.

just drove 1881 miles - virginia to the adirondacks, down to south carolina and back to virginia. the XT is nice, wife's only complaint was that the seats are lower than her liking and would prefer a higher ride... ;-( still better than her beamer's seats tho...

we have a 2yr old, tons of stuff and a yakima skybox. averaged 24mpg, with a custom map/tune -stealth stage2-

no fatique, if anything i wish i had newer tires but it wouldnt have been so quiet. i just put a legacy GT exhaust on the car, as opposed to a catless exhaust, so it's nice a QUIET considering what i came from....

i would highly suggest getting behind the XT, wagons cant be beat with the turbo

I'm an owner of an Outback xt and I worked for Acura for 1 1/2 years. The TL-S 05-08 is the closest you can get to the performance of the Legacy gt or outback xt. The power is more linear in the acura, but less explosive. I like the ride and handling of the acura, but I love the bad weather drivability of a subaru. The acura will have an issue with hard acceleration in slippery conditions unless you get thebest tires. I'm thinking the Legacy gt is the best option, but my goal of an outback with gt bilsteins just might be the best.

My ultimate suggestion is to test drive both on a rainy day and see which one you like best. Best of luck with your choice.

Wes.

I have an 06 Outback XT and have zero complaints about ride quality. I am on factory Legacy GT suspension and I still think its a really smooth ride.

We also have a 2011 Legacy and the Outback rides much better in my opinion.

Archived