LegacyGT.com

Nasty oil/coolant smell in cab?

I wonder if anybody would have an idea on my problem. I have a nasty smell reaching the cab by the HVAC system. I don't have to run the car very long to smell it now. It's getting worst. As long the car is moving I'm OK. When I stop, it gets in the cab. I had no oil spill on the engine for more then a year. Usually the Quick Lube place does a mess every time they play there. I'm watching them closely now...

May I have a head gasket leak? My coolant level may have lowered a little since few month.

I'm 90 000miles on it so I'm due to replace the timing belt anyway. I guess the dealer could figure it out quick enough and to do both job in once?

You could check the oil level. I went for a quickie once and the store added like 2 extra quarts. The dip stick can be confusing. After checkng the oil level myself, the store re-did the oil change to the correct level and, the smell went away.

I wonder if anybody would have an idea on my problem. I have a nasty smell reaching the cab by the HVAC system. I don't have to run the car very long to smell it now. It's getting worst. As long the car is moving I'm OK. When I stop, it gets in the cab. I had no oil spill on the engine for more then a year. Usually the Quick Lube place does a mess every time they play there. I'm watching them closely now...

May I have a head gasket leak? My coolant level may have lowered a little since few month.

I'm 90 000miles on it so I'm due to replace the timing belt anyway. I guess the dealer could figure it out quick enough and to do both job in once?

My 05 does this too. Stinks horribly when I stop at a light. It goes away when the HVAC is put on recirculate, but I really wish I knew what caused it.

samr here!!!!!!!

Check the front inner CV boots, when they open up, they spray the grease all over the place, including the exhaust. It cooks on there and you get a horrible stench coming in through the fresh air vents when you are stopped, but it goes away when you are moving because you are getting fresh air flowing into the car..

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

Thanks Scott for the hint.

That makes big sense and match perfectly the symptoms I have. I had inspected the boots in early fall but it has been so cold this winter up here that it's a very possible scenario with the mileage I have on them already. I will get the car on the ramp this afternoon and check it out.

Just had my vehicle in the shop 2 months ago, and both cv boots were replaced. I wonder if it will eventually go away:confused: Smells horrible:lol:

Once all of the grease burns off, or you could speed the process up by getting in there and cleaning it up..

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Thanks Scott for the hint.

That makes big sense and match perfectly the symptoms I have. I had inspected the boots in early fall but it has been so cold this winter up here that it's a very possible scenario with the mileage I have on them already. I will get the car on the ramp this afternoon and check it out.

My Pleasure. Another hint if I may, its easier to inspect the inner boots from the top side, just pop the hood and look down at them. Since the axle angles downward, the split is usually more obvious from the top anyway, and its alot better than laying under the car this time of year..

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Well, I did this verification from underneath and from the top and all CV boots are fine. No splash whatsoever on the exhaust manifold.

I rather found a slights leak of tranny fluid on the hose clamps going to the radiator. I will have to replace these spring loaded clamp by screw down clamp.

I also seen a slight oil leak on driver side engine block on the bottom. It might be the engine head seal, not too sure. I'm not too familiar with boxer engine yet. My engine oil level has dropped a bit, nothing to worry. I will clean the zone with break cleaner and watch for leak rate in the coming weeks.

To be continued!

• 4 weeks later...

Been trying to figure this problem out also ?

Dealer checked today and saw no leaks. Wax or oil or grease smell in cabin on start up. Cabin recirculation air the smell goes away, under the hood there is no smell.

(ALSO our other Sub Leg '08 doesn't have this concern of the '09.)

ie. Winter conditions in NE, the dealer stated road salt and spray deicer by Highway depts. sometimes burns off from exhaust.

But that's not the case for all these folks who don't live in the NE winters. I would appreciate any ideas. Thx for the forum

Archived