LegacyGT.com

Official 3.6R Mod List

Check clearance around all point of exhaust from front to back and make sure there is no stress or excess pulling at any mount points.

It is an installation issue and I experienced it myself several times when I first developed the product. It not the headers themselves, it's how the entire system is fitted.

Inspection and small adjustments will eliminate the rattle permanently

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check clearance around all point of exhaust from front to back and make sure there is no stress or excess pulling at any mount points. It is an installation issue and I experienced it myself several times when I first developed the product. It not the headers themselves, it's how the entire system is fitted. Inspection and small adjustments will eliminate the rattle permanently
The low RPM rattle issue was fixed on mine this past Saturday.

In my case it turned out to be a loose clamp on the mid pipe not too far upstream of the rear axle and diff. It must have vibrated loose over time or was not torqued down well enough the last time the exhaust was off the car.

While here, we inspected the entire exhaust like Tim suggests and found one other 'minor' issue. One of the Bank 2 exhaust port pins was pulled out and never threaded back in by the shop that had the headers off most recently. You can see it in the attached pics, the pin all the way over to the left... compare it to any to the right. We locked it with another nut and fed it back into the block.

Re-checked all points from exhaust ports to the muffler tips out back. Tightened all bolts, nuts, etc. And did a smoke test to check for leaks. None found.

She's as good as new, no rattles, no strange noises 800 to 6.4K RPM

20150829_084251_resized.thumb.jpg.cfb90580de0b79f4f0be8684bd33ab55.jpg

20150829_084259_resized.thumb.jpg.b3852b6c406e36ae0646f8f3fc31775c.jpg

20150829_085821_resized.thumb.jpg.58ac3f302480ac5a76a8f4135e66ee04.jpg

20150829_085828_resized.thumb.jpg.29922bc1628c357de9b216589e72d748.jpg

The low RPM rattle issue was fixed on mine this past Saturday.

In my case it turned out to be a loose clamp on the mid pipe not too far upstream of the rear axle and diff. It must have vibrated loose over time or was not torqued down well enough the last time the exhaust was off the car.

While here, we inspected the entire exhaust like Tim suggests and found one other 'minor' issue. One of the Bank 2 exhaust port pins was pulled out and never threaded back in by the shop that had the headers off most recently. You can see it in the attached pics, the pin all the way over to the left... compare it to any to the right. We locked it with another nut and fed it back into the block.

Re-checked all points from exhaust ports to the muffler tips out back. Tightened all bolts, nuts, etc. And did a smoke test to check for leaks. None found.

She's as good as new, no rattles, no strange noises 800 to 6.4K RPM

Thankyou for following the advice and getting the desired outcome. It is no different even on my own car - the system must be fault free to be rattle free.

Impressed!

Quick update on XRT (Xtreme Racing Tuning) e-tune progress.

We are on the 4th, 5th revision now and the car runs better than ever!

As smooth and linear as she was in stock form with less than 100 miles on the ODO,

but of course far far stronger.

Very crisp, quick throttle response all around

Great low and mid RPM torque and power delivery in any gear

Strong high RPM and WOT pulls (she pulls hard well above 6K RPM)

Butter smooth idle

Drastically better 5EAT behavior (gear selection, holding, engine braking, shifts in auto and manual mode)

Improved sensor readings and ranges (IAM, A/F Learn and Correct, MAF voltage vs g/sec scaling: happy engine, happy ECU)

Further refined engine sound (likely as a result of AVCS, base and max knock additive and cruise timing table changes)

The tune has rounded out all the mechanical mods and even stabilized Bank1 and Bank2 AFRs, especially at idle and under CL driving... exactly where I need and want them to match.

Hats off to Ed for his work! We are almost done I bet, just refining at this point.

As smooth and linear as she was in stock form with less than 100 miles on the ODO,

Butter smooth idle

Drastically better 5EAT behavior (gear selection, holding, engine braking, shifts in auto and manual mode)

Improved sensor readings and ranges (IAM, A/F Learn and Correct, MAF voltage vs g/sec scaling: happy engine, happy ECU)

Further refined engine sound (likely as a result of AVCS, base and max knock additive and cruise timing table changes)

The tune has rounded out all the mechanical mods and even stabilized Bank1 and Bank2 AFRs, especially at idle and under CL driving... exactly where I need and want them to match.

Hats off to Ed for his work! We are almost done I bet, just refining at this point.

No matter who does the job, an outcome of happiness is the best outcome of all

Butter smooth idle

How did the tune change your fuel economy overall? I'm using 89 tune now using EcuTek(278hp/276lb) with the headers installed and seen fuel consumption take a hit. Still make long road trips from Toronto to Chicago every year, so I'm interested if your changes and it effect on your economy.

Edited by JT_36R

Hey JT_36R. Thus far its fairly consistent, I'm averaging 23mpg in mixed (mostly city) driving. All highway I typically see 29mpg now.

Keep in mind we are still working through the revisions and I'm flashing, resetting my ECU every couple of days... plus not driving it each day. So with each revision the ECU has a. limited time to re-learn (enough for the tune, perhaps not enough for stable MPG stats) b. is learning as the MPG stats build up (which I bet isn't helping them stay high).

Same here. I haven't been driving mine much. I take the train a lot or need drive my wife's 2015 Forester Touring; great car btw. The new 2.5/CVT are mated well.

Just went I thought the tune was over, Edward contacted me with some rapid fire updates. It was like he read my mind solving an irking issue I was having with power delivery at low rpm between 1400-2000. In 4-5 gear there was some power loss too.

Much of that is solved and then of course more timing and ignition :) on 92 octane. Still logging to refine the car if I can just get to actually have time drive it.:lol:

Seriously Edward needs a standing ovation

Hey JT_36R. Thus far its fairly consistent, I'm averaging 23mpg in mixed (mostly city) driving. All highway I typically see 29mpg now.

Keep in mind we are still working through the revisions and I'm flashing, resetting my ECU every couple of days... plus not driving it each day. So with each revision the ECU has a. limited time to re-learn (enough for the tune, perhaps not enough for stable MPG stats) b. is learning as the MPG stats build up (which I bet isn't helping them stay high).

FYI...I have 2 cases, that is 24 quarts of Motul Multi ATF.

Any buyers? I have it listed here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ca-northern-damd-steering-wheel-fortune-coilovers-hks-funnel-afe-242380.html

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Yup, we talked about them at some point. Mucho dinero. I will try to find the link.

Update: it was actually the set of plasma coil packs for the 3.0R and 3.6R.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5125195&postcount=733

Coming back to injectors, Supercharged 3.6Rs need bigger injectors, I believe they source them from a 2008+ STI. They fit without issue but require a tune (injector size, PW, DC scaling).

For NA, I doubt you need bigger injectors. Ive never seen either my fuel pump or injector DC exceed 70%.

Now, some nice aftermarket units might be nice but the stock ones are good enough... most importantly they just need to work properly.

Edited by Perscitus