LegacyGT.com

4k rpm humm

We just picked up a 2009 2.5se. Noticed yesterday an annoying humm starting at 4k Rpm and staying constant. It appears to be a little speed/rpm variable. Faster you go it changes pitch a little. It is only present when you are on the accelerator. Coasting it goes away. Almost sounds like a wheel bearing, but why only when you are on the gas pedal? Any suggestions?

Had a similar sound on my car. Sounded like it was comming from the drivers side but turned out to be passenger side wheel bearing. Repaired under warranty.

The faster I went the higher the pitch. Was speed variable not rpm. See if you can replicate the sound at same speed but different gears to confirm.

Well thats my guess anyways. :D

I drove a bit yesterday and today. Speed based, like I said earlier, not RPM. And only while slightly on the accelerator from 40-60, then it seems pretty constant (harder to hear though) above 60 on or off the pedal. Loudest at 50mph with a little gas pedal. Dont think we went that fast on the test drive. Will tell her to bring it by the dealer when she gets a chance. Kinda annoying at cruising speed.

Tell me about it... I don't usally have the stereo too loud so any strange sounds drive me batty. And once I hear it even turning up the stereo won't hide it from my ears! Shop had me back on the road same day. Good luck!

Archived