LegacyGT.com

What happened!?

:confused:Hi, I have a 97 Legacy GT wagon. About 2 weeks ago on a cold day I went to start my car. All winter long when I have started the car, it has died shortly after starting it, so you need to sit with your foot on the gas a little bit or else it would shut off. Well 2 weeks ago I was doing this and the car died a few times and I restarted it a couple of times. Well after the first few attempts the car sounded like it wasn't firing right. so I shut it off, restarted it and it continuted to keep doing it. So I decided to drive it home in hopes that it would go away after warming up a bit, I also has to be to work in an hour so no time to waste. The car would only go about 40... in 5th gear... at high RPM's. It's been parked since, with the exception of starting it trying to figgure out if i was something obvious that could be seen that was broken. Is it the head gasket? or some other problem? I would really like to get the car running again! Just need to know forsure whats wrong with it first. Any help would be much appreciated! thank you!

Can you reply with any maintenance that has been done on it in the last few months/years? For example, spark plugs/wires, belts, filters, etc.

Also, can you state the mileage and transmission type? Any indicator lights on (check engine)?

Could be a stuck open IAC aka idle air control valve. They tend to get carbon up and get stuck which would allow too much air in and the engine will want to die. Any check engine lights?

check the timing.

check for an open or loose vac line. maybe the one going to the IAC.

the hard start sounds like an open vac line. it will start but you have to give it gas or it dies.

then it sounds like the timing jumped, hard to start, no power runs like crap.

do you have a CEL? check engine light.

with all of those changes all bets are off.

you have more experience than any one else.

but it still sounds like the timing is off.

did the trouble start when you made any of the changes mentioned above?

Archived