LegacyGT.com

BMW style auto mirrors?

Sublimejoe

If anyone here has driven or owned a BMW in the past you will know of the super rad feature where the mirrors automatically go down so you can see the curb when the car is put in reverse.

Is this something that is in any way possible in our cars?

Funny, I have been thinking about other mods/products I could create for our cars. Off the top of my head...

It wouldn't be too tough but I don't know how I would make the mirror goto consistent stop positions. A timer based solution would get sloppy and end up not returning the mirror to where you want it to be after a few times I think. There is currently no way to detect the position of the mirror. I'll have to think more about it but I donno.

ps.. Thanks for thinking of me sigmafour. I've got parts to make 5 more of my sunroof module if anyone is interested: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/1-touch-close-sunroof-mod-final-sale-march-only-202417.html

• I Donated Too
Yes, good call. the motors would need to be changed to something with absolute positioning - would become a huge project. Also the BMW motors 'snap' to position - it's quite impressive. If you're going to go to all that trouble then you may as well throw in the folding JDM mirror trick too - and not just the JDM swap but incorporate the lot into one mod at that point since you'd be swapping all kinds of the internals - cool but I think it would become quite an undertaking.

Coming from a 2002 BMW E39 5 series, I would say yes, it's a neat little feature that helps especially with curb site parking. However the system is not without its glitch tho, if I pop out of the reverse too quick it sometimes doesn't return to its normal position.

I think the universal part refers more to the connections, not so much the function as it has the knobs to adjust up and down time. The key would be to program in some hysteresis compensation in case you pop it in and out of reverse quickly like ChaoticZen said. I might try that unit out. I had been thinking about making my own Arduino based unit for my Z and LGT, but a lack of free time has been killing me.

• 1 month later...

I've used the KP Technologies device before, put it in my SRT-4 for the reverse tilt down. It works pretty good. As has been pointed out the key to the tilt down is a "memory" mirror system that has position sensors which don't exist in a less luxurious car like a Subaru.

The KP timer thing does the trick, even if you think you adjust it perfect (it has separate up and down timer settings) it is not quite it will drift a bit over time, the unit has a feature where it will only activate when you shift to reverse twice in a few seconds, so you only use the feature when you need it, that way there is less drifting of the mirror position over time.

No reason to worry about a "universal" application, every mirror adjustment in every car works the same way...one common "ground" and one wire each for up/down side/side direction motors, the KP unit just taps into the up/down and ground wires from the switch.

Archived