LegacyGT.com

welding questions

• I Donated

Are you mig welding?

AS long as the ground is close to where you're welding (no more then 2ft away) you should be fine even leaving the battery connected.

I did custom exhaust for quite some time and never worried about disconnecting anything and never had a problem after welding.

If you want to be super safe though, just take the neg terminal off the battery.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

ok... thats what i was planning... i figured just have the ground near the bead....

just for s&g ill tell you all my plans for needing to weld:

reinforce front bumper. my bumper is held on at 2 points. by zipties... all the other stuff is gone or ripped off or rusted off.

my bumper has been hit by 5 plus trees and ran over and broke into 3 halves(haha 3 halves)

i stitched the bumper back together with zip ties.. and painted it... looks better then before... haha..

im also gonna put in some slash guards.. all the stock ones have been ripped and shredded off the car when mud running,

add support and mounting tabs for a skid plate

some other small things.

things i may do..

add some permanent strut tower bracing

• I Donated

sounds like you need to stop running into / over things lmao

just make sure there isn't any kind of electrical connection between your bead and ground and you should be just fine

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

yea.... i have taken my car though a freshly plowed 6 to 7 foot snow pile... but i had good reason. i was on a min maintained road going though like 8 inches of snow and then at the end the city had plowed back snow. in the middle of the road. so i just wiped it down the first. WOT boom. i didn't have my bumper then./// or else it would have fallen of im sure.

• 3 weeks later...
I was taught in trade school to always always disconnect the negative battery cable when welding on a car, especially with the new ones and all of the sensitive electronics. I have never seen first hand, any electronic damage caused by welding but better safe than sorry.

• 3 months later...
Until a few months ago i'd have completely agreed with everything said here i.e ~ was always told to disconnect battery's negative but after years of never bothering and not once had any electrical problems afterwards I wouldnt worry but I was replacing front crossmember on a Nissan Micra.When I finished and put it all back together I found the altenator was fried.I checked the whole charging,starting,ignition system and tested the altenator to find it was the altenator itself that was at fault.So it seems that afterall there is a good reason to disconnect !!!!

• I Donated

You found out immediately that the alternator was bad, or did you find out that it was bad a day later when the battery died?

When you're welding, you will harm electricals if they are BETWEEN your hot and ground (like with mig welding, between your wire and ground clip).

So yeah, if the alternator was caught in the welding current, or even some wiring, I wouldn't surprised if it was damaged. If you would have been more careful however, I think that the damage could have been avoided.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Archived