LegacyGT.com

How to find lost pop rivets

1) First you must lose a pop rivet. Author's method is to take off engine cover while slightly intoxicated so as to "look at the turbo piping".

2) Once you've determined the pop rivet to not have fallen through to the ground and not to be visible from the top of the engine bay, go back and strategize (possibly waiting until next day to fully sober, if applicable).

3) Crawl under car and reach around over the engine bay cover, blindly groping for pop rivet. If pop rivet found, go to step 11.

4) Remove engine oil filter cover, blindly grope around in new hole. If pop rivet found, go to step 11.

5) Back out onto sloped driveway.

6) Place car into reverse

7) Accelerate backwards, brake suddenly

8) Place car into drive

9) Accelerate forwards, brake suddenly

10) Get out of car and check for fallen pop rivet. If none found, go to step 6.

11) Return car to parking spot and replace all covers and pop rivets

12) DO NOT drop a pop rivet while doing this. If you do so, return to step 2.

Sorry, no walkthrough pics, but you get the idea :p.

ROFLMAO! :lol:

<----- check my "Title." ;)

Remember to look at all your A/C and other "hard" lines, too - they love to launch themselves into those lines, and then get caught between the line and the body/frame. :mad:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Better yet,

Check the radiator fan housing, one of those bastards fell in there and I tried for an hour to get it out but finally ended up under the engine somewhere.

Also, check the ancillary belts/pulleys, you wouldn't want one of em to get stuck there.

I keed I keeed

i meant to ask the mechanic at the dealership for a handful of these -- i've lost a few as well, (ran over 5 of them after an oil change also) and had to cannablize them from other parts of the car to go back into the engine.

That is great!

I just had the oil change place reimburse me for the 2 pop rivets by the air filter scoop and the 6 by the oil drain cover. The 18 yr old kid at the lube place destroyed them all. I went to find the manager when I heard him trying to install them on the underpan with a rubber mallet!:lol:

$11.01 for 8 of um. (My family is staying with my parents while our new house is being completed, this was my last oil change not performed by me!)

Check the radiator fan housing, one of those bastards fell in there and I tried for an hour to get it out but finally ended up under the engine somewhere.

Ah what fun that was, between radiator and frame. Thankfully wife came out to look for me as I had been out in the garage(mantown) for hours and my beer was way past empty. The end result was I bloodied my knuckles and raised my blood presure but dammit I got it out.

Ask parts guy at dealer for spare pop-its, mine gave me a handful of assorted sizes(freebie). There are about 20 that hold the bumber of the WRX.:rolleyes:

muahahahah.....i dropped one into the radiator fan...thank god it wasnt running. took some tricky finger work to get out

i also landed one near just under the intake hose from the intercooler to the throttle body...damn i have good aim

• 2 weeks later...
And the last step: If you still can't find it, it obviously went to the same dimension as lost socks do...I went to the dealer to get a new one, they charged me a buck but had to order it?????

Here is what I am going to do the next time I loose a pop rivit.

Loiter outside my dealerships maintenance bays and when I see one fall to the floor while a technician is doing an oil change, sprint in and grab it and run like hell!:lol:

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
We should mention there are two types of popits. The first is the ones with the screw heads. These, when loosened, just build your confidence up that the are easier to take off. The second have the fixed head and fly away screaming when the proper amount of force is used to remove them.

Haha... I need to find some of the screw-headed ones. I have a rattling splash guard...oh my! Two are missing from the splash guard thanks to an orange cone. :D Might as well replace the two missing ones from the engine cover as well. Lost one to the engine, and one to busting it, hehe.

Anybody have a part number if I take a run to an auto parts store?

-B

• 8 months later...
No no no no no no

I have an easier way.

1. go to your local meat.

2. wait for Jedi to be distracted

3. steal his pops its (he always leaves his hood up)

can you steal some from him and email them to me? :wub:

This Space For Rent

1. go to your local meat....

I have no response to this...

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

• 2 weeks later...
1) First you must lose a pop rivet. Author's method is to take off engine cover while slightly intoxicated so as to "look at the turbo piping".

2) Once you've determined the pop rivet to not have fallen through to the ground and not to be visible from the top of the engine bay, go back and strategize (possibly waiting until next day to fully sober, if applicable).

3) Crawl under car and reach around over the engine bay cover, blindly groping for pop rivet. If pop rivet found, go to step 11.

4) Remove engine oil filter cover, blindly grope around in new hole. If pop rivet found, go to step 11.

5) Back out onto sloped driveway.

6) Place car into reverse

7) Accelerate backwards, brake suddenly

8) Place car into drive

9) Accelerate forwards, brake suddenly

10) Get out of car and check for fallen pop rivet. If none found, go to step 6.

11) Return car to parking spot and replace all covers and pop rivets

12) DO NOT drop a pop rivet while doing this. If you do so, return to step 2.

Sorry, no walkthrough pics, but you get the idea :p.

HILARIOUS!!! I resemble all those remarks.

Archived