LegacyGT.com

Before I Purchase

So I recently found a 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT with 90,450 miles on it. Since I am not familiar with Subarus, I was wondering if someone could tell me what to expect in the long run, maintence wise. Should I expect any issues to arise?

On a different subject, I have a question about replacing the head unit. Is it easy to do, or even do able? Would it be better to take it somewhere like a BestBuy to have them install? I'm not looking for much, just something that will let me plug my iPod in and stream music. Attached are two pictures of the current stereo unit. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/01/epe7e4e7.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/01/juqy3ypa.jpg

There's quite a bit to research but I will try to summarize. At a minimum I should be able to let you know what to search for:

Does the seller offer a warranty? If it has one available and has a history of honoring them, it is probably worth it for this car.

Was the turbo recently replaced?

You will be coming up on a timing belt replacement after your first year or two depending on the number of miles you put on. Drivetrain boots can tear around this age/mileage.

Mechanical things to check:

Presence of the turbo oil line "banjo bolt"

"Oil Pickup Tube" for cracks

A regular mechanical inspection should cover the rest. If you want piece of mind, a cylinder leak check should be performed.

Regarding the stereo, search "HU Swap", "2008 radio" or anything like that. The newer stereos can be swapped in and a wire harness is available through a private supplier "SVXdc" that will give you aux in. Expect to pay $200 to $400 for the newer stereo, depending on condition.

If you want to install your own headunit, you need a double din conversion kit for about $300 because the climate controls are built into the circuit board for the radio.

I love my car, but have had some issues. This board is a tremendous resource if you search.

Hope that gets you started. Search away!

*Edit: One more thing. Forget the manufacturer recommended oil change interval. 3k miles every time. Check your oil every other fill-up.

No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

The head unit is challenging to replace, because its integrated with the climate controls.

You basically have three options:

1) JBL Cleansweep connected to new amplifier

2) Put a second unit in the cubby above the clock, leaving the current unit disconnected.

3) Replace with a JDM headunit kit (~$300 for adapter). This gets you a dual DIN opening it place of the current radio. There's several guides on the forums to doing this, but if you're not doing it yourself, you're going to want someone more experienced that a Best Buy installer.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-dual-hvac-double-din-jdm-kit-thread-113589.html

If you want to swap the head unit, all the info you need is here.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-dual-hvac-double-din-jdm-kit-thread-113589.html

If you just want to be able to inegrate your iPod do the jazzy mod here. I have this and love it.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/plug-n-play-aux-mod-2005-6cd-radios-18504.html

I'm not a audio guy so I can't recommend anything but the car will(should) be reliable as long as you do the regular maintenance like you should.

It's a good idea to change out all the current fluid's and put fresh fluid of your choice in there. That's what I also do/

Just listen for signs of a bad wheel bearing from the rear as that's the only big thing. Everything else like transmission/engine/body. Just check and look like you would do any other car.

Timing belt coming up in 15k, so save up some $ if you do buy it

There's quite a bit to research but I will try to summarize. At a minimum I should be able to let you know what to search for:

Does the seller offer a warranty? If it has one available and has a history of honoring them, it is probably worth it for this car.

They said that they have an extended warranty available...I asked for information on it, but have not heard back. I sent the email at 6:00 PM, so I believe that's why.

Was the turbo recently replaced?

You will be coming up on a timing belt replacement after your first year or two depending on the number of miles you put on. Drivetrain boots can tear around this age/mileage.

Mechanical things to check:

Presence of the turbo oil line "banjo bolt"

"Oil Pickup Tube" for cracks

A regular mechanical inspection should cover the rest. If you want piece of mind, a cylinder leak check should be performed.

I am not sure about the turbo being replaced. How often should they be replaced? Are timing belts expensive to replace? And I will find information on the "banjo belt" as well as other items.

Regarding the stereo, search "HU Swap", "2008 radio" or anything like that. The newer stereos can be swapped in and a wire harness is available through a private supplier "SVXdc" that will give you aux in. Expect to pay $200 to $400 for the newer stereo, depending on condition.

If you want to install your own headunit, you need a double din conversion kit for about $300 because the climate controls are built into the circuit board for the radio.

Prior to my joining this forum, I Googled something to the effect of "2005 Legacy head unit replacement," and got mixed results...some saying yes, some saying no. Anyway, I am glad that I am able to replace it! I don't think I will be replacing the unit myself. Most likely I will either have a friend do it, or (most likely!) take it to a car stereo shop that's about half an hour south of me.

I love my car, but have had some issues. This board is a tremendous resource if you search.

Hope that gets you started. Search away!

Yes, after scanning through the various threads here, this seems like a good community.

*Edit: One more thing. Forget the manufacturer recommended oil change interval. 3k miles every time. Check your oil every other fill-up.

Is there a special oil required, or can I just take it to my local Valvoline like I do my current car? Again, thanks for your help!

I would be more concerned about the engine and any previous mods that are on it, than the stereo I would be installing.

have any pics of the engine? You'll want to take it to your mechanic or find a local subie shop / tuner to check it out. Make sure its got the right map for any parts that are put on.

torque impresses girrls, hp impresses flat-bills

The head unit is challenging to replace, because its integrated with the climate controls.

You basically have three options:

1) JBL Cleansweep connected to new amplifier

2) Put a second unit in the cubby above the clock, leaving the current unit disconnected.

3) Replace with a JDM headunit kit (~$300 for adapter). This gets you a dual DIN opening it place of the current radio. There's several guides on the forums to doing this, but if you're not doing it yourself, you're going to want someone more experienced that a Best Buy installer.

Is JDM Japanese Domestic Market? Thanks for the tip on the Best Buy installers. I've actually seen that link when I Googled this a few days ago.

i got sum bad news.....its an auto

Very true! Sadly the only manuals I've found in my area are either more than I want to pay, or have 150,000+ miles on it.

If you want to swap the head unit, all the info you need is here.

If you just want to be able to inegrate your iPod do the jazzy mod here. I have this and love it.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/plug-n-play-aux-mod-2005-6cd-radios-18504.html

Was that mod easy to install? It sounded complicated the first time I read it, but the second time it sounded relatively easy.

I'm not a audio guy so I can't recommend anything but the car will(should) be reliable as long as you do the regular maintenance like you should.

It's a good idea to change out all the current fluid's and put fresh fluid of your choice in there. That's what I also do/

Just listen for signs of a bad wheel bearing from the rear as that's the only big thing. Everything else like transmission/engine/body. Just check and look like you would do any other car.

Timing belt coming up in 15k, so save up some $ if you do buy it

That goes along with what I keep reading online...that Subarus are very reliable. It makes sense to change out all of the fluids. If for no other reason than I will know when they were replaced. So timing belts around 100,000-105,000? Are those expensive, and can they be done without taking it to a shop?

• I Donated Too
I love the Microphone shifter.

Hey, I have one of those.

I also have the Jazzy mod and put in a set of Polk components with an amp. Stock speakers are crap.

Archived