LegacyGT.com

Getting close to 100K???

I am getting up clost to 100K mark, I want to do the Timing belt, Water pump, and Tensors (sorry Spelling sucks). I need to know if the the legacy GT Gates kit with the water pump will work or is it different. I did look in the 2.5I FAQ and saw nothing about it. So is there a seperate Gates kit or not? Thanks

I am getting up clost to 100K mark, I want to do the Timing belt, Water pump, and Tensors (sorry Spelling sucks). I need to know if the the legacy GT Gates kit with the water pump will work or is it different. I did look in the 2.5I FAQ and saw nothing about it. So is there a seperate Gates kit or not? Thanks

Here I just did this and you should follow the same path :

Just ordered a basic front engine reseal and Timing kit from http://www.RockAuto.com

GATES Part # K050344

Alternator and Power Steering

$10.56

GATES Part # K040332

Air Conditioning

$10.72

FEL-PRO Part # TCS46009

Crankshaft Front Seal Set

$7.35

FEL-PRO Part # TCS46008

Camshaft Front Seal Set

$5.59

TIMKEN Part # 710236

Oil Pump Seal

$4.72

GATES Part # TCKWP307A 6 Components

$198.79

With shipping I paid $237.79 The dealer wanted 2.5x MORE for the same parts.

Will do the whole job on the weekend the parts hit my doorstep should be fun!

• 2 weeks later...
^ is this a problem for the NA's? I'm at 199,400 on my GT and this hasn't been an issue for me.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

• I Donated

Skip the cam seals. Not worth it unless you're taking the pulleys off for some other reason. Also skip the oil pump seal, and the accessory belts are easy enough to change sometime else that you should only do them if they're in bad shape. And I'm assuming the Gates kit includes the water pump.

c-lo, I have seen reports of HG issues on higher-mileage EJ253s.

Skip the cam seals. Not worth it unless you're taking the pulleys off for some other reason. Also skip the oil pump seal, and the accessory belts are easy enough to change sometime else that you should only do them if they're in bad shape. And I'm assuming the Gates kit includes the water pump.

c-lo, I have seen reports of HG issues on higher-mileage EJ253s.

So when the cams seals start weeping at 122k he will have to pay the same labor to get them fixed???

Don't skip the cams seals the shop doing the work can get the gear off and seals installed and the seals are $5 great insurance against touching the front engine for another 100K

I mean, I guess if you are having the work done for you, but it's too easy to screw things up getting the cam gears off if you're doing it yourself.

very true i tapped one in crooked on the RS once and while trying to fix it (after driving and dumping oil all inside the timing cover ) I cracked the gear.

^ is this a problem for the NA's? I'm at 199,400 on my GT and this hasn't been an issue for me.

It's a problem with subbies across the board according to the 40-year mechanic I used to work with.

• I Donated
very true i tapped one in crooked on the RS once and while trying to fix it (after driving and dumping oil all inside the timing cover ) I cracked the gear.

As I said,

Not worth it unless you're taking the pulleys off for some other reason.

Basically, you created a problem that wasn't there before by replacing the seal, and then created yet another problem (that cost money) trying to fix that problem. The chances of the seal starting to leak were low enough that you probably would never have incurred those problems otherwise.

Archived