LegacyGT.com

Speed Trap - Tobin Bridge inbound

Garandman

With construction on the Tobin Bridge, the speed limit is now 30 mph. So they are setting up with LIDAR in the tunnel at the bottom of the bridge. The traffic is usually going 50-60 so they can pull over just about anybody.

You have to slow down before you enter the tunnel.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

yup

My friend and i got pulled over comeing from the track (im sure the window numbers didnt help)

We were in the slow lane with a jetta infront going about 45-50 the jetta slammed its breaks so we changed lanes to avoid collision and got pulled over...

I've seen that speed trap a few times so far and luckily I haven't been caught yet since I usually go 50mph around that area. When I'm still a good distance from entering the tunnel I would look ahead at the cars entering to tunnel to see if they brake or not. If I see brake lights I will slow down to the speed limit.

I've seen them set up the speed trap after the tunnel one time before so even though you pass the underpass and see no cops, you gotta be careful theres not a trooper 1000 feet after the tunnel.

Is this an avisory speed sign (yellow or orange) or a real speed limit change (white sign that says "Speed Limit 30"? On normal roads the former is quite beatable in court (if you have the time to appeal the joke of a magistrate's hearing). The bridge is MassPort's domain which is a little different.

I don't travel the Tobin due to the $$$ but I am curious about what they're doing.

-Rob

• 1 month later...
Is this an avisory speed sign (yellow or orange) or a real speed limit change (white sign that says "Speed Limit 30"? On normal roads the former is quite beatable in court (if you have the time to appeal the joke of a magistrate's hearing). The bridge is MassPort's domain which is a little different.

I don't travel the Tobin due to the $$$ but I am curious about what they're doing.

-Rob

If I recall correctly there is now a white 30 sign at the bottom of the bridge on the left side.

I was stopped for doing 60 in a 30. Was in the right hand lane so he grabbed two guys passing me but I was the lead car.

Decided to fight it given the already absurd insurance rates here. Got lucky as the Magistrate that day dismissed 12 of 15 cases heard, including mine.

She also dismissed another guy for 66 in the same area.

There are few times when being old is good, but one of them is when going to court.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

as requested above, any thoughts on a lawyer to bring to court with you if you get caught driving on a suspended license?

friend in Cambridge needs an esq.

thx

My attorney told me not to take him to the magistrate hearing. He said the police get their hackles up. No one had an attorney.

If you don't agree with the finding of the Magistrate, you can appeal to a court.

But driving on a suspended license is a much, much more serious offense and may go straight to court. He should certainly get legal advice. The Mass Bar Association should be able to make a referral. And don't be surprised if the attorney asks for several thousand $$ up front, as they do for DWI cases.

Another referral site is http://www.dmv.org/ma-massachusetts/suspended-license.php

Who Dares Wins

スバル

My attorney told me not to take him to the magistrate hearing. He said the police get their hackles up. No one had an attorney.

If you don't agree with the finding of the Magistrate, you can appeal to a court.

But driving on a suspended license is a much, much more serious offense and may go straight to court. He should certainly get legal advice. The Mass Bar Association should be able to make a referral. And don't be surprised if the attorney asks for several thousand $$ up front, as they do for DWI cases.

Another referral site is http://www.dmv.org/ma-massachusetts/suspended-license.php

Question for you guys, would you pay $10 to have multiple attorney's respond to your request, in essentially a more competitive way that should net lower legal fees?

do you really want to find a lawyer that way??

When I needed to hire a designer, I posted the request on a site and got over 700 responses, worldwide of course, since it's a different type of business service that can be handled overseas. I constantly see/hear people looking for legal and accounting help, so I figured I'd get a site going for people to put in a request and have attys/accountants respond to them.

I wouldn't say it's a "low bidder, bottom of the barrel" way to hire an atty/accountant. In my opinion, their fees derive from the fact that most people are unable to easily get competitive quotes, and they're not often in obvious competition. You'd be free to pick and choose from among those that contact you. There are lots of independent, competent lawyers that just don't have the $ or the inclination to advertise on TV or send out solicitation to your home after you get a ticket. But, subscribing to an email list where they know the leads are "real" is free and easy for them.

Maybe I'm totally wrong, which is ok since I won't have a ton of money invested in it. However, my thought is $10 to get say, 10 to 100 attorneys in your state contacting you for your business would be a good value. In Texas a traffic lawyer is between $150-250 for a typical ticket. In MA, they all ask $1000+. My suspicion is that there is plenty of margin that can be cut into and still get quality results. Remember, it's not a murder trial, not everyone needs OJ's legal team or their rates.

Call up Mass Bar and get a referral.

It's free, but no better than throwing a dart at the yellow pages. How is that better than having attorneys actively looking for work that directly contact you with their credentials, etc?

Archived