LegacyGT.com

legacy GT turbo issues

Ok.... have a few questions. Had to get a new turbo for my 05 Legacy GT. Had it under warranty at my local car dealership. The mechanic also told me that due to much oil in cats that i should get new ones. I bought a invidia up and down pipes,catless, had them installed (by same mechanic). Well he installed the turbo and test drove it, he said at about 2500RPMs right when boost kicked on it started to make a noise. So he went back to shop and took off turbo. The exhaust side of main shaft is loose. Shoulnt be right? Not sure what to. The mechanic says he wants to do a oil pressure test on car just to make sure its getting oil. Oh sorry forgot to mention the this is the second turbo he installed. After he installed the first he drove the car with my ruined cats and blew turbo immediatly.

Just asking for a few tips on what you think could be causing the turbo's to blow. Thanks for anything.....

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well..... Mechanic clearly seems to be part of the issue....

Did you do any double checks after the 1st blown turbo? Drop the pan? Compression Tests?

When the Turbo blows there is a possibility that the shavings can clog up oil passages/galleys, and you may have a much bigger problems.

Both times my Turbo went the VERY FIRST task was to drop the oil the pan and inspect for metal shavings.... After that compression test.... After the 2nd Turbo - all oiling components were replaced.....

I suspect you have an oil pressure issue - which could mean a new short block...

What about the screens in the Banjo Bolts? Did you change those or remove them? If they were clogged and caused oil starvation to the 1st Turbo and were not replaced they could be causing oil starvation:mad:

I dont think he checked the pan after the first turbo. I will have to call him tomorrw and ask him to do that. The banjo bolt was a new one that he put in. Came with the new turbo. Also telling him to take out the screen of the banjo bolt. Damn i really dont want to replace the short block. From what i could see from the old banjo bolt it looked ok. Just worried about the "shavings" being part of the 2nd turbo blowing.

Wow hey wrestler your a lot of help. I know I need a new mechanic. Hard to when the car has a warranty at that place. Telling them to change and check pan and take screen out of banjo bolt. Then ill get a new turbo and see if that fixes it. If it has same problem im taking it somewhere else. Thanks grovlet for the helpful info.

ignore wrestler he's a DIY nightmare creator

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/need-help-its-urgent-and-my-cars-jacked-194302.html

find a new mechanic before your engine goes next, it may already be too late

have it towed

good luck

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

nope. no oil pressure sensor in the car for it to use.

you didn't mention a warranty but I'd still want to take it elsewhere... they may inadvertently take out something else (collateral damage) that ISN'T covered by the warranty. and it may cost you more than just to leave now.

if you insist on them doing the work, have them put in everything like they should, but then I'd never go van to them ever again. and I'd go to another mechanic immediately after the work is done and have them give the car a thorough checking over for all the suggested items above.

One big question I have is did you see the condition of both blown turbos? Did they break apart? Taking the Banjo bolt filter out wont solve the problem it will just eliminate the potential of oil starvation from them getting clogged. What kind of dealer ie Subaru, other make, or general used? Also type of warranty?

The main shafts were just broke. Only seen the stock one. And they said it was the same exact thing. Its a ford/toyota dealeeship. Not sure the name of the warranty. Was covering bumper to bumper for 10k miles or 1 year. I knoe it wont solve the issue but he seems to think its not getting oil. He is supposed to be doing a oil pressure test today unless i stop him. Thinking i was just gonna have them order a turbo and install and just give me my car back. Take it somewhere else

Ask them to send it to a subaru dealer if the warraty is thru them. Typically they will send it out to someone that knows better. I had an issue with repairs done by a chev dealer on my wifes for so after a quick complaint i got them to send it to the ford dealer. Obviously the Mechanic is clueless and the repair costs are gonna keep going up untill it is done right! If no Subaru dealer nearby then find a reputable subaru mechanic nearby just ask around in your regional forum there has to be one fairly close! Allow him to check pressure but he needs to check oil for metal shavings or turbos are gonna keep failing and soon so will the engine!

Ok. Tyvm. Im gonna call them in just a few mins. The turbo is covered under subaru, hopefully they cover the 3rd turbo. The nearest subaru dealer is about 30 miles away. Ill see about getting it towed up there or jist check a few places near my town.

Well took off the oil pump, warranty place advised it. Found out that there are metal shavings and little scrapes in the oil pump. warranty place also wanted pan dropped. also metal shavings in it and in the pickup pipe. Inspector coming Monday or Tuesday to make sure its still under warranty. Doesn't sound good to me at all. Just hoping that the damn thing is under warranty. Looks like new pump, oil lines, not sure about the motor and how damaged it is.

Don't know how they would think that it is caused by the turbo, but we will see...

turbo explodes and sends metal into the motor

It is a fairly common issue with these cars, do some poking around

on this site to hear the horror stories.

good luck and keep us posted

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

If your engine has been run long enough to blow a second turbo with shavings in the oil I would start to question the longevity of your rod bearings.

I would be pushing for a new shortblock personally, especially if its covered under warranty. Don't take it out of their hands, just make them take it to a suba dealer. If you bite the bullet for a while you might come out pretty well.

Archived