LegacyGT.com

EMPI Axles - Cheap replacement?

dr_sharp

Also, DTA even cheaper

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/SB2043-Premium-Axle-Drive-Assembly/dp/B007NZ91S2/ref=au_pf_ss_2?ie=UTF8&Make=Subaru%7C13&Model=Legacy%7C64&Year=2007%7C2007&carId=001&n=15684181&s=automotive]DTA SB2043 New Premium CV Axle (Drive Axle Assembly) : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

lol

I paid $80 bucks for some 100% new axle for the wagon over 2 years ago at the local Advance Auto parts. I have no idea what brand it is.

Works great.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yes...EMPI = cheap Chinese knock off.

They have been making vintage VW parts for years. Some of their stuff is just fine. Other stuff can be garbage. It seems that mainly their Quality Control is to blame. Sometimes parts get thru to the customer that should have been rejected....at least in the VW world.

Not sure how their subaru stuff is.

Raxles (Marty is a great guy) is a great company. I used them when I owned my passat, and had multiple friends that used them as well. Marty only uses OEM axle shafts, and all new cv joints, no re grinds, and uses high quality boots. Highly suggest them, never heard one complaint from a vw guy. He even sends a shipping label for you to send your core back to him

My front passenger axle needs to be replaced due to a torn boot that I have no idea how long it's been torn. I was quoted around $80 at Autozone, a few people here have said they have the Autozone (whatever brand it is) part and there are no issues.

What is Raxles charging?

I want to say for my passat, I paid around $190 or $200 shipped, plus $100 core if you don't have an OEM axle to ship back for a core. He doesn't charge the core up front though, he gives a couple weeks to ship the core back. If it's beyond that, I believe you can still send the core back and get the charge back.

Yes...EMPI = cheap Chinese knock off.

They have been making vintage VW parts for years. Some of their stuff is just fine. Other stuff can be garbage. It seems that mainly their Quality Control is to blame. Sometimes parts get thru to the customer that should have been rejected....at least in the VW world.

Agreed. Back in the 1960s and 70s, the original EMPI was known for high-quality aftermarket parts in the air-cooled VW world and, to this day, the original EMPI products still fetch top dollar. However, sometime during the late 1970s, the EMPI name was acquired by a company known as Mr. Bug and the new "EMPI" is just not the same. In fact, it's gotten much worse in recent years with some of their Chinese made parts. Here's a photo of a Chinese-made EMPI 1,700 lb. pressure plate that failed after less than 1,000 miles in my 1966 VW Karmann-Ghia:

253090_10151062371648932_971864727_n.jpg

• 2 months later...
I get Rebuilds from CV of Ochala. They design and manufacture CV axles themselves, as well as rebuilding auto axles. I have one on the way for my new to me 00 GT, after replacing both fronts on my last Legacy. I think it was $65 plus shipping from Florida with a $30 core charge if I don't send the old axle back. Great quality and service.

Archived