LegacyGT.com

98lgt swapping 2.0 questions

Still new to the forums so if I'm in the wrong area move it.

I have a 98 lgt that blew hd bought the car this way with the engine out. Engine sat around for a long enough time period for substancial rust to build up on the cyl walls. So I have a 95 jdm legacy 2 step engine I can toss in for the mean time. Replacing the intake manifold injectors throttle body with my 2.5 junk. I was wanting to know should I change any of the other sensors on the engine. What I have found in my research is the engine will run it ill just be terrible with fuel milage until the engine adapts. Any input or adive is apriciated.

Adam

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost positive that the swap is illegal. The JDM 2.0 doesn't comply with the states and their emissions codes, so it can't be legally done and passed for a daily driver. Actually...you can't do that at all, even if it was a USDM engine. Then it'd be an OBD1, and it's illegal anyway to throw an OBD1 compliant engine into an OBD2 chassis.

That's what I've gathered...if anyone else wants to chime in, be my guest.

"jdm legacy 2 step engine" <-What is this?

You'd have to swap over all of the OBD2 sensors & OBD2 compliant parts from your 2.5 onto your 2.0.

If your 2L is SOHC, it will be kind of a slug at high rpms.

If it's DOHC, it will be decent.

If it's turbocharged, wiring & a new ECU will be involved with the swap.

Your ECU will adapt to the new engine though it may run rich.

You should find another 2.5 engine & save yourself the hassle...

This could be done if you found ej22 heads/intake mani from OBD II legacy/impreza. This would change your compression ratio and bring maybe a little more air flow in. If you know what you are doing and can read and interpret wiring diagrams then do it, document it and let us be jealous lol.

This could be done if you found ej22 heads/intake mani from OBD II legacy/impreza. This would change your compression ratio and bring maybe a little more air flow in. If you know what you are doing and can read and interpret wiring diagrams then do it, document it and let us be jealous lol.

That's cool, I had heard alot about swapping ej22 heads to other blocks, but never to the 2.0t. And I think when he says 2 step jdm engine, he means twin turbo?

• I Donated
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost positive that the swap is illegal. The JDM 2.0 doesn't comply with the states and their emissions codes, so it can't be legally done and passed for a daily driver. Actually...you can't do that at all, even if it was a USDM engine. Then it'd be an OBD1, and it's illegal anyway to throw an OBD1 compliant engine into an OBD2 chassis.

That's what I've gathered...if anyone else wants to chime in, be my guest.

You can put any engine into any car, as long as you can get it to meet emission standards. Tons of people do it legally all the time. I have a friend that is running an EJ20R in his BD Legacy and is able to get emissions and tags without a problem

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated
depends alot on your state too, like cali for example.. you cant pass emissions if you have grey floormats

yes because the grey floormats deplete the ozone layer lol

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

lol

broknindarkagain, to swap anything other than an obdII engine in would be a lot of hassle that people aren't willing to go through from what I've heard. To get it up to code in order to pass emissions and whatnot just seems like a hassle, unless you're absolutely set on creating a monster with this engine and want it to stay there forever. I'm getting that the OP just wants to throw this guy in for the time being while he finds another engine. But if he wants it to be there for the rest of the time he owns the car...then go about it the right way. Either way, sounds like a complex project that'd be way over my head :p

Sorry about abandoning my thread for a while. Emissions dosnt matter as we don't have echeck he and yes swapping this engine in s technically illegal but I'm just using this engine as a temp until my 2.5 is rebuilt.

Last question I have is do I have to change my cam and crank sensor. They both are the same connector but resstance wise I'm not sure. Its going in today so hopefully ill have it running by mid afternoon.

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

Word lol sorry again busy with work, had it up and running by 7 that night. Ran into one issue, idk if it the csp was bad or wrong but swaped with the old sensor for the old ej25 and ran like a raped date on cocaine, other than the fact I was sucking down fuel like a diesel.

Now I'm averaging about 18 city and 24 hwy.

Ill try to get pics up sometime when I'm not so busy.

Thanks again.

The half chinese kid

Archived