LegacyGT.com

Snow Rant

LegacyGTBiggie

Now im sorry... I normally dont give two sh#$s about this sort of thing. But after digging out 4-5 spots after our snow storm... I feel that if I leave a spot marked with something I should come home to a spot. I dont know or care if you agree. But to get home at 4am from a formal event... And have to go change... and shovel out another spot cause some inconciderate **** hole has NO respect... or park two blocks away and have to walk home...

I am tooo fraking tired to even rant... i HATE assholes.... :spin::spin::spin::spin:

I was in a bar tonight by my house where parking is very limited. This scary guy came in and said "Did anyone in here move a sawhorse to park in a spot?" Everyone said no so he goes "Well, if you did you can come to my house to get your license plate." I'd be calling the cops because there's no way I was going up to his house by myself!

Spot saving/stealing around here (Baltimore city) is no joke. I happened past a neighbor on my block who had his scissor jack in his hand about to change his tire. I stopped to say hello and offer my assistance- turns out he moved the trash can reserving a spot (on the street- all street parking) and the previous inhabitant of that spot had slashed his tire. This is not uncommon.

For those not familiar with this phenomenon here is a break down. I live in the city so all of the residential neighborhoods have parallel street parking. My area is particularly difficult to park even without snow. So with the major storms we received here in baltimore in the past couple weeks people had to spend 1-2 hours digging their car out. but not just their cars, they had to dig a path out to the middle of the road. The end result is a two way street that becomes a one way and mountainous ridges of snow along the sides. This leaves parking "pockets". People then decide that they can now take ownership of these "pockets" and place items such as saw horses, trash cans, laundry baskets etc (see attached picture). The general rule is don't steal someones space. There are instances of tire slashing, broken windows etc when these "thefts" occur.

I think it is BS to claim a street parking spot but I can understand the desire to do such. What I cannot understand is why people believe that they are justified in vandalizing and inflicting damage to cars that have stolen "their spot".

For perspective- my neighbors slashing happened in a relatively nice part of the city (mostly young professionals)- Imagine what goes down in the rougher areas. Hint- stabbings, beatings......

This was my first winter in the city where we actually got some snow, this was my first time experiencing this phenomenon.

I guess my main point is this. If you shovel a spot go ahead and try to save it. If someone takes that spot- nut up and dig yourself out another spot. It is pretty lame to expect that you can reserve your own personal spot on a public street or parking lot. Everyone else is in the same boat.

That said, I personally never "stole" a spot for fear of some asshole vandalizing my car.

Also, Just to put it out there- none of this post is specifically directed at the OP or anyone else who commented above- its just a general response to the underlying issue.

IMG_1207.thumb.jpg.0cd7c239a075a4a830ab1b452e8447cc.jpg

IMG_1208.thumb.jpg.f387aad32c754f1fde8e407f18887b60.jpg

Why bother shoveling the spot? The fresher the snow, the more fun to drive through it.

And driving through it is much less tiring than shoveling

Plus it gives you something to watch if someone is dumb enough to park there and then not be able to get out.

Why bother shoveling the spot? The fresher the snow, the more fun to drive through it.

One of the main reasons for owning my Subie ! Soooo much fun to drive into a snow-covered spot and watch the expressions when I pull out with no problem !

Besides.....here in the Bronx there is NO SPOT-SAVING. You move , you lost your spot...period. Be happy you live in an area where the HOPE your spot is still there is even a possibility ! :)

( Hell , with no snow....while backing into a spot , I've had people try to pull in head first behind me to steal it !! Crazy bad parking problem in my area.... )

GTBiggie....I really do feal your pain but.......be happy you aren't here in the Bronx....you'd probably have to do what I do. Rent a space in someones' driveway for $175.00 a month !

( And the people that rent their driveways rent to 5 or 6 cars at a time....the front spot closest to the street costs more)

Do it right the first time.........or don't bother doing it at all.

QUOTE=mwiener2;2839427]Why bother shoveling the spot? The fresher the snow, the more fun to drive through it.

Thats fine and good until the snow that you want to drive through is taller than your hood. I'd be willing to bet that your outback cannot drive through 3 feet of packed and plowed snow.

Archived