LegacyGT.com

different TOB design

GTTuner

Hoping someone can do me a favor. I am going to install one of these in my car. There are several companies that make universal hydraulic TOB's

I need to know the OD and the length of the snout on the 5 speed. If anyone has a trans out and can measure for me I would really be grateful.

Ok thanks for the help guys:rolleyes: , it seems there is someone out there using this http://www.tiltonracing.com/sites/default/files/editor_uploads/files/Tilton2012%20-%20HRB%20-%209000%20Series.pdf

in a late model 5 speed WRX trans. Once I get some details together I'm going to start some research and development with a local machine shop.

At this moment if anyone has a 5 speed that has failed, even with a damaged snout I would be interested in buying it just for R&D purposes. PM me if you have something.

read this; http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=142658

What's the benefit here? "WHY" are you trying to do this?

WHY NOT? :confused:

Where the hell have you been? Damn TOB failures on these cars is of epic proportions. It is the cheapest, crappiest design of any car I have ever owned. At this point what do we have to loose? I'm pulling my trans for the fifth time because of a noisy, failing TOB. I've owned manual trans cars all my life and never have I has so many problems with a clutch than in this car. If it wasn't for the clutch I would say this is the most reliable car I have ever owned. Period.

• Moderators

Where the hell have you been? Damn TOB failures on these cars is of epic proportions. It is the cheapest, crappiest design of any car I have ever owned. At this point what do we have to loose? I'm pulling my trans for the fifth time because of a noisy, failing TOB. I've owned manual trans cars all my life and never have I has so many problems with a clutch than in this car. If it wasn't for the clutch I would say this is the most reliable car I have ever owned. Period.

Reliability, got it. I just didn't know what the goal was here--makes sense from that perspective. I have to pull my trans again shortly as well, interested in what you come up with here.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

NA NA I have you beat, :) the wagons tranny's been out 8 times. But not one time for a TOB.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Reliability, got it. I just didn't know what the goal was here--makes sense from that perspective. I have to pull my trans again shortly as well, interested in what you come up with here.

Will keep you posted. :)

NA NA I have you beat, :) the wagons tranny's been out 8 times. But not one time for a TOB.

:lol::lol: Now you jinxed yourself!

By the way Max, would you believe me if I told you my car doesn't use oil? 66K since my rebuild and she is using 1/8 of a quart every 3-3500 miles.

1/8 of a qt is not bad, not like a Honda but that's pretty good. :)

My wagon has 21K on the ej257 and uses about 1/2 qt in 7000 mile oil change on the Amsoil 5w-40.

The Spec B uses about a 1/8 qt in that time, it has 51.6K, just did the oil change today. It had 6700 miles the last oil.

Actually I'm running the TSK3 TOB with on sleeve, I did grease the snout and had the Tech grease the snout when he put the tranny back in a couple weeks back.

Not sure you saw the inside of my tranny and the broken main shaft, you can see the snout here.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN5295_zps3025c9b3.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived