LegacyGT.com

STI Short Throw Shifter being installed

kanoswrx

Just got word I can drop my car off at the dealer on monday to get my STI Short Throw shifter installed. Can't wait, I loved the Short throw shifter in the WRX and the Legacy could really use one I think. I found myself grinding gears because I would release the clutch to soon as I was used to my WRX's short shifting. Anyways I will be sure to do a little write up once its installed :)

I test drove a 2.5i w/ stock shifter and a GT w/ the short shifter back to back last weekend. The short shifter gave noticably shorter shifts, although it also definitely felt "notchier". The salesman said the stock GT shifter kinda fell in between the two. I'll have to try the stock GT shift to make sure, but he was saying although the STi shift was nice, he didn't feel it was $300+/- nice... So yeah, please post a back-to-back comparison when you get it! Thanks! Stefan

Yeah sorry people, I posted it in this forum, but someone decided to move it to Bling Bling, if the moderator who did that could please explain why, I would appreciate it. Its NOT a bling/bling mod!!! See all these people who got lost because it was moved.... Sorry for ranting, I am usually cool about everything.

A short shifter is bling. It's a feel mod. It does nothing for performance, because the transmission does what it is going to do, irrespective of shifter throws. You can shorten them to inch-long travel, but the transmission isn't shifting any faster, which means that a short shifter isn't doing anything to shave time, or improve performance. They can feel better. Also note that hopping in two GTs, one with the short shifter and one without, does indeed verify the 30% throw length reduction claimed by Subaru. 30% isn't a lot. You notice it, but you don't go from one to the other and say "Wow, what a difference." The stock GT shifter is smooth, but don't mistake that smoothness for a lack of precision. The short shifter adds some mechanical feel, for that "click, click" that feels sporty and precise. But for a shifter to improve precision, it will come with a stiffer bushing, to start with. The STi short throw bushing isn't any stiffer than the stocker. It wasn't on the WRX, and it isn't on the Legacy. I ran the STi short shifter on my WRX, with Kartboy bushings. Very smooth, but more mechanical than the stock WRX shifter, which is indeed sloppy, unlike the GT stock shifter. Adding the STi transmission mount smoothed out the feel of the STi/Kartboy bushing combo, to the point where it "felt" dramatically better than the stock shifter. The GT's shifter is a large order of magnitude better than the WRX's stock shifter. Kartboy bushing might add some feel to it. It might also make it feel incongruous with the well-lubricated whole that is the stock GT. Be sure you know what you're after before you go in. A friend has the STi short shifter, and he likes it. Unless it smooths out a LOT, I don't. But it is feel, not performance, which slides it neatly into the "bling" category. Sorry. Kevin p.s. No, I didn't move it. I don't have moderator powers, thank the stars.

I still disagree with the bling/bling category, if anything atleast it should have been put in interior. If it was bling/bling it would be some kind of visual addition, but a STI STS is far from bling/bling. I can't even see it. I guess it all depends on your personal preference of shifting style. I felt the stock shifter in the legacy was good, but to sloppy for my tastes. I perfer it to be smooth and percise, thats something I didn't get with the stock shifter. It was smooth, but wobbly and soft. I found myself grinding gears with the stock shifter, probably because I wasn't used to such long throws (and I have been driving a manual for years, not to mention racing cars for a couple years too). Once I got the STI STS installed I had no more problems. So in my mind the STS is no where near a bling bling mod, but a performance mod, as it improved my shifting performance. Sure it could have been my fault, but it also doesnt' take away from the fact a part can make you and the car perform better. Also seeing how a few people got lost and couldn't find my review means that it doesn't belong in Bling/Bling. Posts should be where people expect them, and hardly anyone expected it to be there. Mods should realize that, and if they don't thats a problem.

I am not even going to start in this "debate", but I do believe that if the length of throws are shorter, then the car will shift faster and the power will reach the ground quicker. Assuming that the tranny isn't the limiting factor.. and I don't think that it is. Seems less of a limiting factor than the WRX tranny. The GT's extra synchro really seems to help that out a lot.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']I am not even going to start in this "debate", but I do believe that if the length of throws are shorter, then the car will shift faster and the power will reach the ground quicker. Assuming that the tranny isn't the limiting factor.. and I don't think that it is. Seems less of a limiting factor than the WRX tranny. The GT's extra synchro really seems to help that out a lot.[/quote] No. It can't happen. The short throw just changes the length of the lever throw. It alters the transmission not an iota, so the car cannot physically shift faster, as that would mean the transmission would have to speed up, which would make the short shifter not only a feel mod, but magical. Think about it for just a second... Kevin

[quote name='wunderkind']IIRC, in the SOLO II handbook a short shifter is considered a 1-point mod. Unlike a Kamikaze bodykit.[/quote] Well there it is, nice find. Guess this proves its not bling bling :) ah well can't force the mods to move it, they are allways right.... I really feel bad fighting over this, I have over 4000 posts on clubwrx.net and never had to argue this hard to get a post where it was supposed to be.

[quote name='gtguy'][quote name='Dr. Zevil']I am not even going to start in this "debate", but I do believe that if the length of throws are shorter, then the car will shift faster and the power will reach the ground quicker. Assuming that the tranny isn't the limiting factor.. and I don't think that it is. Seems less of a limiting factor than the WRX tranny. The GT's extra synchro really seems to help that out a lot.[/quote] No. It can't happen. The short throw just changes the length of the lever throw. It alters the transmission not an iota, so the car cannot physically shift faster, as that would mean the transmission would have to speed up, which would make the short shifter not only a feel mod, but magical. Think about it for just a second... Kevin[/quote] Not saying that it's not for feel, but you should think about it... the faster you get the car into gear and don't have your foot on the clutch, the quicker the car will be. Perhaps we are just thinking about it in different light. I am having a hard time understanding why you don't think that the shifting time between gears doesn't effect performance. Enlighten me.

OK that notation from above about SOLO II mods are from my Canadian handbook. So I did some research for you yanks... [url]http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=174189&perpage=25&pagenumber=1[/url] this link above basically short-shifter is considered a mod and will bump you from stock class to STS. However it is not easy to spot a short shifter kit anyways....

Archived