LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT Top Speed

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

65mph. 70 on some freeways :p

Um, looking at the gear ratios, it should be near 160mph theoretically, but I don't know if there is a lower aero limit (wrx is around 140mph IIRC) or electronic limitations in the ECU.

Some genuis on here took pix of his car hitting 150 or something.
That's Mr. Genuis to you, Master Jedi. And I was only doing 140 mph, not 150.

I can assure you that the Legacy is not aerodynamically limited. It is gearing limited. Meaning its not even horsepower limited. The Legacy will pull itself all the way to the rev-limiter in 5th gear on a flat run. Based on my "experiment" at 140 with about 1,500 rpms left on the tach, I would wager that the LGT can hit 155-160 mph before the engine runs out of gear. If it had a true OD (6th) gear it could probably pull farther up to about an aero/engine limit of maybe 175 mph. Just my opinion.

Actually it is gear limited to just about 150mph give or take 5 mph, I have gona just over 145mph in stock form, but wasn't exactly looking at the tach if you know what i mean. The LGT can definately be topped out without computer interaction other than the rev limiter.

Hey whats up all. Well i just bought a 2005 Legacy GT limited, i have not driven it yet though being that i am in Korea right now. I was dead set on the STI but my dad talked me out of it and into the legacy. I think this car has unlimited potential from what i have been reading. I hope so cause i got rid of an 2002 Ram Air 6sp, but i am in the military and going to Italy for a few years and there was no way i was taking it over there. And well i could not afford to have it just sit and buy another car. So i did the responsible thing i guess. Still kinda torn cause my TA was My baby. Anyways enough sab stories. What parts work on the Legacy that works on Legacy? And what is some good places to get parts from Japan? I do not know about you all but that Corazon Wide body kit looks awsome, also anybody put a set of 19s on the car yet? Somethiing like the HP racing EVO. Well looking forward to having fun with the car wel lthat is when ever it gets to italy seeing how they said its going to take up to 67 days to ship it......

chris

That's Mr. Genuis to you, Master Jedi. And I was only doing 140 mph, not 150.

I can assure you that the Legacy is not aerodynamically limited. It is gearing limited. Meaning its not even horsepower limited. The Legacy will pull itself all the way to the rev-limiter in 5th gear on a flat run. Based on my "experiment" at 140 with about 1,500 rpms left on the tach, I would wager that the LGT can hit 155-160 mph before the engine runs out of gear. If it had a true OD (6th) gear it could probably pull farther up to about an aero/engine limit of maybe 175 mph. Just my opinion.

Just don't go over 120mph with heavy crosswinds because the Legacy has very noticable and dangerous buffeting. Even without heavy crosswinds, the car starts to act up when you hit the "slipstream" behind a large truck. Installing functional aero-packages and lowering the car abit may help.

I keed I keeed

The COBB AP raises the rev limiter I believe as well as removes the MPH limiter. Too bad there's not a legal road to just top your car out on...ya know sign a waiver n all. The joy is if you're dumb enough to top the vehicle out (like I am), it happens pretty quick-you're not driving fast for a long period of time. I hit the speed limiter like a brick wall. I assume I'd hit the new rev limiter pretty quick.

Not that I'm condoning any of this or would ever do this anywhere near other vehicles. There are long straight roads out here that have nobody on 'em. And I'd never do this at night. Now that's dumb.

melayout, I never felt those effects, at least with the right tire pressure bias. :) And yes, I've made at least one good high-speed run.

Gear limited with the 6500rpm redline I think is about 155mph. I'd have to check my charts though. :p Auto should be higher I think.

one way to legally run your LGT to the max is out on the salt flats in California. a buddy at work suggested that I look into that when I told him that I was taking 140 mph runs on a public road.

I might just do that! it would be fun not only to find out where the top-end really is, but to stay there for a little while. I understand that there are flat straights that can run for 5 miles or more!

The Salt Flats are in Utah. Another place is Black Rock, that's in Nevada. :p

I don't think anyone here condones running such speeds on public roads, myself included. The only time I ran it was about 3:30am, 4-lane divided highway, no traffic on either side of frontage roads for over a mile, full moon light and essentially no wind.

Sure I shouldn't have done it but nothing happened from it other than me finding out how fast the car really is and how stable it feels at those speeds. Curiosity didn't kill the cat. ....this time.

It is interesting that some like to find out the top speed of your Legacy GT. And then you aren't legally allowed to drive at that high speeds on any road (in the US). So it is more a interest in the technical and dynamical things (and maybe for some "kick").

When I try to find out the top speed of my Legacy, I can always legally run that speeds - when I hit the Autobahn. Top speed was 240 km/h (150 mph) once, although I felt there should be some more. But the traffic stopped me. But most of the time I drive at about 100 km/h - 120 km/h on country roads ...

It is nice to drive fast on the autobahn, but it kills the mileage! So in most of the time I cruise at 160 - 200 km/h and try not to accelerate too much. Then I will be rewarded with a "decent" mileage.

That idea with the Salt Flats or Black Rock sounds cool. No traffic ...

I wonder what traffic looks like at 150 mph. Must be scary.

That is right. But you can't compare the normal roads with the autobahn.

And you can't fly along with 150 mph when there is a lot of traffic, it is only possible when you have quite a free road. Also it is only allowed to overtake on the left side. And if you want to change the lane (especially to the left lane) you have to check out your back mirror and the speed of the cars that appear.

The COBB AP raises the rev limiter I believe as well as removes the MPH limiter. Too bad there's not a legal road to just top your car out on...ya know sign a waiver n all. The joy is if you're dumb enough to top the vehicle out (like I am), it happens pretty quick-you're not driving fast for a long period of time. I hit the speed limiter like a brick wall. I assume I'd hit the new rev limiter pretty quick.

Not that I'm condoning any of this or would ever do this anywhere near other vehicles. There are long straight roads out here that have nobody on 'em. And I'd never do this at night. Now that's dumb.

Does Cobb do this for Stg 2? Because they definitely do not raise the rev limiter nor the top speed governor in Stg 1. Don't ask me how I know ;). That is one thing that I feel should be addressed by Cobb, raising the rev limit to 7k, and removal of the speed limiter.

I wonder what traffic looks like at 150 mph. Must be scary.

I rode with someone from college in a vehicle nearing 160mph on a six mile straightaway 3 lane highway during the day. See the little speck ahead in the distance.... :eek: you just past it!!

No doubt one of the most dangerous situations I was ever in, but damn that was fun :D

Therotically I may have been doing 145 once and the vehicle I was in was very stable and controlled. Was an amazing feeling of concentration everything zoned out and I felt like I was "driving" more then ever, quite a high. My passanger did not feel this same high, for some reason he was a little timid about the whole expierence. Maybe I was pissed I had to go all the way to LBI just for him to cancel his surf heat. Agian this is just my mind rambling, this is just if it did happen what I think it would be like.

Song of Post- The Rolling Stones-Sympathy For The Devil

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

Does Cobb do this for Stg 2? Because they definitely do not raise the rev limiter nor the top speed governor in Stg 1. Don't ask me how I know ;). That is one thing that I feel should be addressed by Cobb, raising the rev limit to 7k, and removal of the speed limiter.
Hey Ed....i can assure you that the AP does indeed raise the rev-limited in Stage 1. I hit mine enough times to know that the factory limit kicks in precisely at the redmark on the tach. With the AP Stage 1 tune, my tack will now run up to about 6,750 rpm before it kicks in. It's not the full 7K allowed by some other ECU tuners like EcuTek but it's a start.

Perhaps Trey could pipe in here and clarify exactly where Cobb puts the rev-limiter on the AP tune. I'd like to see the Stage 2 map bump it up to 7K rpm since I'll be running Stg 2 by Feb 5th. :D

Archived