LegacyGT.com

2.5i Transmission Fluid- Flush or Drain/Fill?

I bought a used fleet 2009 2.5i SE not too long ago (yup took the risk) and the car has been amazing for me… so far. However, I'm at about 53k Miles and want to do a really early 60k service for who knows if or when it was last maintained. I have access to full lift located on base.

I have a couple questions.

1) What is the stock fluid that comes in the 4EAT tranny? Is the ATF-HP and is that synthetic or conventional?

2) I want to go with AMSOIL Multi-Vehicle ATF but should I do a flush to get all the old stuff out? Cause the way I see it is, whats the point of going synthetic if you're not going to harness the full benefits. I don't mind going with the Subaru ATF-HP stuff, AMSOIL just appealed to me.

3) What would be the simplest, cheapest, SAFEST way to do a flush (I'm a beginner but learn quick)?

Safest way would be to do a drain/refill several times.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I went to a shop to do a Amsoil Flush. They charged me around $230 (including fluid) which I found reasonable since 13 bottles of Amsoil would be about $190. The $230 saved me the time of doing it myself and getting dirty, and I know most of the oem fluid came out

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

I went to a shop to do a Amsoil Flush. They charged me around $230 (including fluid) which I found reasonable since 13 bottles of Amsoil would be about $190. The $230 saved me the time of doing it myself and getting dirty, and I know most of the oem fluid came out

Isn't that too much? According to AMSOIL, MSRP for 3 Gallons is $135.60 for the Multi-Vehicle ATF.

Also, do you know which method they used to do the flush?

I used quarts comparison at the time not gallons, you need anywhere from 13-15 quarts for a flush. ~$13.50/quart

You do not want a force flush machine, preferably one that uses the transmission pump and 2 bladders. This is what they did for me. I dont know what this machine is called, I went in and asked them what type of machine they used and asked made sure it was not a force flush

I'm short on cash and wouldn't mind doing it my self. I couldn't find a tutorial or walkthrough to doing it that way but if you have any references… I'd be happy to look at them. I just need to know how access the transmission pump and do the flush. It can't be toooo hard.

iirc its easy to do. remove the drain bolt, clear off the magnet, and refill from the dip stick after reinstslling the drain bolt. If you want, you can change the transmission filter too. looks like an engine oil filter but costs alot more for an oem subaru one,

The transmission's cooled by the radiator? ….well I feel like an idiot. :lol:

But awesome sounds like 2-3 person job. I'll give her a shot this weekend. I just need to figure out which line it is which I should be able to figure pretty easily and where to replace the fluid from (The tranny cooler intake line or dipstick?

This might sound dumb, but when I flush the tranny using the cooler line method, I still have to drain from the oil pan as well right?

yea. the bottom section is the tranny cooler. um drain whats in the pan. then pour in the new fluid one at a time. also fill each bottle up with the old fluid, so you actually know the amount that comes out. as far as the line to the radiator, i used the return line coming from the radiator coming back to the tranny. they are of course right next to each other. this is just me, but i wouldn't take too much out at a time. mayb 2-3 quarts, then stop and fill what ever amount came out.

also i did this to my dads 98 forester. so the fluid was pretty old. it was easy to tell the difference between the new and old fluid coming out. it might be tougher for you to figure that out since your car is fairly new. it might be easier, and cheaper to just drain and fill once or twice a year.

as far as the line to the radiator, i used the return line coming from the radiator coming back to the tranny. they are of course right next to each other. this is just me, but i wouldn't take too much out at a time. mayb 2-3 quarts, then stop and fill what ever amount came out.

If you turn off the car you stop the fluid from being pumped out and sucked in. Im just a bit confused. Assuming you were saying you use the return line to add fluid, where do you fill the torque converter from when the car is off?

If you turn off the car you stop the fluid from being pumped out and sucked in. Im just a bit confused. Assuming you were saying you use the return line to add fluid, where do you fill the torque converter from when the car is off?

The torque converter is sealed and cannot be filled externally

When the car engine is running, the TQ is being filled with transmission fluid. It just hits the stator (what spins the transmission input shaft) and falls off. So the fluid does still flow through it just doesnt spin the transmission

If I understand correctly the way I would do it is as follows:

1. Do a simple drain and fill from transmission drain plug.

2. get two buckets. A) empty bucket B) Bucket full with new ATF

3. pop off the transmission hose going to the cooler and place in empty bucket

4. pop off return-hose transmission and place in clean ATF bucket

5. run car until around 5 quarts have been run through.

6. Close her up

7. Change filter?

I hope I don't sound like an idiot and this will work in my 4eat 09 2.5i

6. Close her up

7. Change filter?

I like the sound of this proceedure...will be doing this soon.

6. Close her up

7. Change filter?

i don't think this will work. it will push the fluid but not suck it back in. i'm not 100% sure how the fluid is run through the transmission. i know fluid is pumped out to the cooler. i'd imagine it is just pushed out into the cooler and then through the return hose. so its being pushed but not actually sucked. i'd imagine there some type of suction/fluid pickup in the pan (probably where the screen is that most people replace), just like the oil pickup tube in the engine.

therefore its probably best to drain/fill. then pump 2-3 quarts out. fill (through trans dipstick hole). then repeat until clean fluid is found. you will probably go through about 10qts after its all said and done.

• 2 weeks later...
It is well recommended to stay with the factory Indemitsu/Subaru HP fluid. I've heard of some problems with others.

Use a product that meets the specs and don't worry about it. I am using the BG Universal Synthetic ATF without any issues. In fact, the transmission works better than it did when new.

I seem to recall seeing somewhere that the filter is in a remote location from the transmission (like near the battery?) Where exactly is it located?

remove the battery, and you'll be able to see it. its attached to the fender wall behind the headlight.

if you are gonna replace it make sure you use the filter from subaru. this filter is not a typical engine oil filter

Archived