LegacyGT.com

Leptronix Aux-In

RedFloyd

what is the rigged setup? and do you have the switch on Auto? auto didn't work well for me on my phone or a older mp3 player.

I use a headphone splitter and have a second device connected to the other line.

When connecting the satellite by itself, it doesn't work regardless of the auto or on setting.

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, I've narrowed it down to the line output on my ipod classic (dock connector - > 3.5mm cable). Nothing else in the chain causes the audio to cut out, and it only happens with the ipod once per morning. I'm guessing that it has something to do with that port also able to transfer power and maybe shorting something? Is there any way to ground a 3.5mm cable? It's pretty annoying since the line out audio quality is so much better than the headphone jack's. Any ideas Sebastien?

I ordered Sebastien's Leptronix aux-in board and it arrived within a week and it is now installed in my 2006 Legacy GT. Notwithstanding my initial trepidation at ripping the guts out of my OEM head unit/HVAC system and my less than stellar soldering skills the install went reasonably well. The instructions were complete and a big help.

The aux-in board works exactly as advertised and the sound quality is, in my opinion, equal to or better than CD quality. Best of all there is no "silent" CD required and I can now listen to the 32GB of tunes on my BlackBerry without having to resort to carrying dozens of CDs and doing my best DJ impersonation. A side benefit is that when receiving a phone call my Q10 pauses the music and I can take a call with the caller's voice playing through my stereo and the mic on the phone. It's a handsfree unit too! It will make the road trip next week from Bellingham down to Scottsdale a blast.

Thanks, Sebastien for a quality product and for great customer service. I am so pleased with the product that I have another aux-in ordered for our FXT.

Sebastien, merci pour un produit étonnant - c'est le meilleur sur le marché asteur (guess i haven't forgotten all of my high school french yet! :lol:

Bez

Edited by Bez
Typo

Alright, I've narrowed it down to the line output on my ipod classic (dock connector - > 3.5mm cable). Nothing else in the chain causes the audio to cut out, and it only happens with the ipod once per morning. I'm guessing that it has something to do with that port also able to transfer power and maybe shorting something? Is there any way to ground a 3.5mm cable? It's pretty annoying since the line out audio quality is so much better than the headphone jack's. Any ideas Sebastien?

It looks like there is an impedance problem with your ipod dock connector. You may find the not very helpfull, but maybe you should just use the headphone output from your ipod? I don't believe there is so much difference in sound quality vs the dock connector.

You could also try to use a 12V powered ipod dock instead, it will charge you ipod at the same time!

I ordered Sebastien's Leptronix aux-in board and it arrived within a week and it is now installed in my 2006 Legacy GT. Notwithstanding my initial trepidation at ripping the guts out of my OEM head unit/HVAC system and my less than stellar soldering skills the install went reasonably well. The instructions were complete and a big help.

The aux-in board works exactly as advertised and the sound quality is, in my opinion, equal to or better than CD quality. Best of all there is no "silent" CD required and I can now listen to the 32GB of tunes on my BlackBerry without having to resort to carrying dozens of CDs and doing my best DJ impersonation. A side benefit is that when receiving a phone call my Q10 pauses the music and I can take a call with the caller's voice playing through my stereo and the mic on the phone. It's a handsfree unit too! It will make the road trip next week from Bellingham down to Scottsdale a blast.

Thanks, Sebastien for a quality product and for great customer service. I am so pleased with the product that I have another aux-in ordered for our FXT.

Sebastien, merci pour un produit étonnant - c'est le meilleur sur le marché asteur (guess i haven't forgetton all of my high school french yet! :lol:

Bez

Bez, I specially like your Quebec french knowledge! That's funny to see "asteur" coming out from an english speaking person! :lol:Would like to hear that!

It looks like there is an impedance problem with your ipod dock connector. You may find the not very helpfull, but maybe you should just use the headphone output from your ipod? I don't believe there is so much difference in sound quality vs the dock connector.

You could also try to use a 12V powered ipod dock instead, it will charge you ipod at the same time!

An external dock would have the exact same issue, seeing as it's just a different form factor for the same signal path. I don't know if my ipod is having a weird hardware problem (possible given its age), but given that I've never had any issues with anything else I've used with it, I'm guessing it has to do with the aux board.

However, it's kind of a moot issue at this point, since the deficiency has prompted me to get an SD -> microSD ribbon cable and 256GB SDXC card so that I can use my phone for music and finally ditch the ipod. I just got an HTC One M8 which puts out surprisingly good audio from the headphone jack, so problem solved.

For the record, there is a significant difference in sound quality between the ipod headphone jack and line-out. The headphone pre-amp (at least every ipod up to the classic, haven't bothered with newer ones) is awful. Letting the head unit's amp deal with it results in a very noticeably fuller and clearer sound. Letting my little portable FiiO amp deal with it has been noticeably better again.

• 3 months later...
still have any for sale? Am interested. Thanks!

I'm sure they're still available. It's better to order straight from the paypal link posted on the first page. I bought one last November without any issues.

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

For now I have no plan to build more. However if the demand is still there I might reconsider and order new parts.

I also heard that there are some available on the used market so you can have a look there too!

For now I have no plan to build more. However if the demand is still there I might reconsider and order new parts.

I also heard that there are some available on the used market so you can have a look there too!

Hey there, I assume I'm the one who got the last unit. :hide:

Just received it and I've already got a question. On the board I received, the orange wire (from in the instruction documentation) is actually yellow. I'm sure it's the same, but I just wanted to quadruple check.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Hahaha! Indeed! I ran out of orange wire but I only found yellow wire as replacement. I said myself it was close enough! Don't worry it's exactly the same thing :)

Just installed a few days ago, finally. Just wow... I have not used the CD player but the sound is wayyy better than anything coming from the radio.

Thanks so much. It is an A+ product. Subaru should have recalled their vehicles to install this :lol:

Only issue is the radio assembly itself, anyone else who is looking into it should really plan how/where you want the switch and aux in...