LegacyGT.com

Dreaded Oil Smell! possible head gasket?

Hello all, i'm about to hit the 120,000 mile mark in my 09 2.5i se. When the car is at operating temperature I can smell a faint oil smell coming from the engine bay. I crawled under (not lowered) to inspect and saw a very small amount of oil on the oil pan. There is no oil in the coolant, and aside from the slight smell, there are no other symptoms. I figure its time to replace the head gasket seeing that everyone here has had to do it much earlier in their vehicle's life. Is there any suggestions you all have? Thank you!

p.s. timing belt was replaced at 100,000, clutch assembly at 90,000, and radiator at 60,000

I'd check your cv axle boots, and see if the passenger side boot flung any grease onto the heatshield directly below it.

I wouldn't assume headgaskets, unless you see evidence of a leak where the head gaskets are.

X2 on checking the passenger side CV boot.

I agree, that or the valve cover seal.

It's often the inner boot/joint that suffers because it's close to the exhaust and ages faster. Therefore it's always a good idea to check that joint if you have joint noise.

453747.png

• 4 weeks later...
Well after closer inspection it was the valve cover gasket.. So after saving a bit of cash and parking the car for about three weeks, I took it in to get the gaskets replaced thinking it would be a $2,300 job from a certain certified Subaru dealer. I got a much better quote from a much closer Subaru dealership (fairway) which was for ALL gaskets replaced, and thermostat replacement. I walked out the door for $1,386. Thank you for everyones input. I will keep an eye on the CV Boot.

It's funny, I was actually going to say $1386 for both head gaskets is a pretty good deal.

*I had just woke up and read wetlegacys post wrong. $1386 for both valve cover gaskets is pretty steep... 3 dealers in CT all quoted me around $540 for both sides..

My independent quoted me $200 for the passenger side, that was 2 years ago.I've been smelling the oil for 5 years. Strangely enough I'm never down between OCI's.

Both inner axle boots were replaced last year, $450

Archived