LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket remote start questions

I've got a 2013 Subaru Legacy (not a GT). I've been researching getting a remote start unit, but detailed search results are hard to find since even a specific search still brings up a lot of useless stuff.

I am pretty sure an OEM remote start is out. I just don't think it has the range, no 2-way and it turns off when you open your doors?

I've been looking at some aftermarket units. I haven't been able to get some clear, concise info - but with an aftermarket unit, does it shut off when you open your doors? I was looking at the Viper 4806V or 4205V... maybe the 4706V for the range (not sure if I need that). Viper's site says that it does not require the vehicle to shut off when opening the doors.

Looks like the only other thing I need is a transponder bypass unit (556UW)? That's what Viper says, anyhow. I was looking at getting the FLCAN from Audiovox, since it is programmable and won't require you to sacrifice a key. However, their site is a little confusing as well, as it is not explained very well. It says I need 2 of these for a "complete remote start solution". That's because of the two different firmwares you flash to it do different things, I assume maybe you hook them up to different wires also. Question is, do I really need two? The one firmware looks like it is basically just a bypass, while the other handles all other functions like door locks, alarm and such. Is this only if I was planning on getting a security system or other things on top of a remote start? I'm only doing remote start and I will continue to use my regular keys for door/trunk lock/unlock. I'd rather not buy an extra one of these things if I don't need to.

Thanks for any help on this. I wish answers were easier to find for this stuff.

You're correct that the Subaru version turns the car off when you open the doors and the non-Subaru one doesn't. Some of the aftermarket ones require a key so they can get around the factory lock out. Are you planning to install it yourself?

I am installing it myself. So I guess the only question that leaves is if I need two of the FLCANs. I was looking at those specifically so I wouldn't need to sacrifice a key.

• 1 month later...
I am also looking into getting an aftermarket remote start for my wife's '14 Legacy Sport. Are there any suggestions into which brand is the best? Are there any vendors on here that sell any remote starters?

The major options are Subaru brand or Viper or Avital if you're just looking for something basic.

Everything you say about the OEM remote start is correct, but there is a work-around. It can be found in detail somewhere on this site, I think. It involves fashioning a clip out of a large picture hanger to insert in the driver's door to hold the button in when opening the door. Keep in mind it only works on the door where the clip is inserted. There are a few other quirky things that happen but it really does work. Hope this helps. Note: it may not be a 2-way but it does flash a blue light to let you know the vehicle is running. I find it a very effective remote starter, and the price it right.

The major options are Subaru brand or Viper or Avital if you're just looking for something basic.

Yeah i was thinking just going OEM but I don't like the part where the car shuts off when opening the door. Kinda defeats the purpose...I might just go with Viper. They usually have a pretty good track record when it comes to remote starters and alarms.

I've got 2 with OEM starter. The range is not a problem. It's not like we are on a bus to get to the car though.

So the car shuts off. It does not defeat the purpose. The purpose is to warm or cool the vehicle. And even if the car shuts off, it still stays warm or cool.

And you have to start the car, just like anyone who doesn't use a remote.

It may seem a pain but it really isn't.

I have an aftermarket in my truck. I still have to put the key in and actually have to be careful not to turn the key too much so it is more work.

And it doesn't activate the heat/cool functions like the OEM.

Our '12 Outback has an Ultra Start remote starter. I don't know how their reputation is but it seems to work fine. It just happens to be what our local installer sells and the price seemed fair so we went for it. Car stays running when the door opens and shuts off if you touch the break without putting the key in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I had the Viper 4806V installed when I purchased my ‘13. I absolutely love it. For a simple LED 2-way, the system can do a lot, and has amazing range. The only gripe that I have is how often I have to change the fob batteries, but that may be due to my lifestyle. I tend to park it for long periods and take the key with me, and I believe that the fob continually attempts to check in with the car while I’m a 800 miles away. It’s never bothered me enough to learn how to disable that while I’m away though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived