LegacyGT.com

Ground straps at the bottom of engine ?

I saw a grounding point on the passenger side bottom of the frame and the strap was ripped from rotting. I cannot see where the other end was connected since it doesn't exist anymore.

Is that a ground strap going from exhaust manifold to car frame ?

If so is it on both sides or only passenger side.

Thanks

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ground straps are on both sides, and they connect from frame to exhaust manifold.

Both of mine have rotted through. On one side I electrical taped the ends together for now, and on the other side I just clamped the loose end between the heat shields on the manifold.

I'll replace both soon.

Mine rotted through as well on the passenger side. 7 years of New England winters was a pretty good run though. How anyone expected a bare copper mesh wire not to fall apart in Snow country is beyond me..

My ground straps are in great shape, I don't know why you guys are having such problems...

:hide:

I have a wealth of problems... The ground straps are minuscule compared to the other issues I'm having. BMB, too bad you don't live closer- I'd like to take that SMFW off your hands.

• Moderators
I have a wealth of problems... The ground straps are minuscule compared to the other issues I'm having. BMB, too bad you don't live closer- I'd like to take that SMFW off your hands.

I'd like you to take it off my hands too! It's just too heavy to ship :(

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I'd like you to take it off my hands too! It's just too heavy to ship :(

Understood. Honestly, I don't want to have to pull my FW, I just want to eliminate possible reasons why my TOB would go.. again.

Sorry to threadjack- It's all I can think about right now.

I think they go to the heads, I remember cleaning mine and putting them on when the short block was installed. I think there is only one on the drivers side front bottom of the head.

Not sure I have pictures, I'll check.

Found these but none of the bottom one (s).

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4705_zps2a4d6923.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4706_zps6f11e68a.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Make your own out of a piece of Monster Cable speaker wire. Find the largest gauge you can-12 if possible and just put ends on it and heat shrink them to the connectors. If you can't find 12 gauge, make a double out of 14. It's nothing but a flexible connection. I've made my own on cars for years that way and they never go bad because of the shield and heat shrink.

Is this an issue if one or both of the ground straps are torn? I just cut and reconnected the driver side but the other is completely gone. Will this lead to electrical interference or engine codes?

I've been told that it takes a lot of ground issues before you'll notice any electrical problems. I'd suggest taking care of it eventually, but it won't be a problem unless you have multiple other grounding issues.

Anyone have a part number handy? I noticed my pass side one has rotted off as well.

Make your own out of a piece of Monster Cable speaker wire. Find the largest gauge you can-12 if possible and just put ends on it and heat shrink them to the connectors. If you can't find 12 gauge, make a double out of 14. It's nothing but a flexible connection. I've made my own on cars for years that way and they never go bad because of the shield and heat shrink.

Do that ^ any good piece of wire with a crimp on end will work.

In the bottom right side of this picture, above the inlet tube, you can see the black ground cable I made for the race car attached to the frame.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCF0259.jpg

Here's a better picture.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCF0756.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 1 month later...

Is this an issue if one or both of the ground straps are torn? I just cut and reconnected the driver side but the other is completely gone. Will this lead to electrical interference or engine codes?

You can develop noise in your radio from the straps being broken.

• 4 months later...

Possible electrolysis in the cooling system as well as RFI interference.

Archived