LegacyGT.com

2010 Legacy Official Reveal

BernardP

HERE IT IS! THE SPECULATION ENDS!

News Links:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/au...intsubaruasny1

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/31/new-york-2009-preview-subaru-reveals-2010-legacy/

What is it?

2010 Subaru Legacy

What's special about it?

First off, the 2010 Subaru Legacy that will be unveiled to the public at the 2009 New York Auto Show will not be available as a station wagon any more.

So all 23 of you out there who are fans of the Legacy GT wagon can go ahead and stop reading now.

For the remaining red-blooded, midsize-sedan-buying Americans out there, Subaru is tailoring its new sedan to you more than it ever has before. This is largely a good thing, unless you're a fanatical Subaru owner already.

Like an increasing number of Americans, the 2010 Legacy is bigger than it's ever been. The company reckoned that the outgoing model's modest interior room was cramping its sales potential. So — boom — the wheelbase of the new model is 3.2 inches longer than the old one. This move adds just a bit less than 4 inches of rear-seat legroom. The Legacy is also 3.2 inches taller and 3.6 inches wider than the outgoing model. All this means that the rear seat now feels as roomy as those in the Legacy's primary competitors from Asia and America.

Add to the list of quite un-Subaru-like aspects of the 2010 model some side windows that actually have frames. OK, the company has been heading in that direction with other models. But the Legacy is the last Subaru to have this quintessential Subaru wind noise generator. Also, through some new wider-set engine mounts and a full front subframe, Subaru anticipates that the 2010 Legacy will have better vibration control at idle. This will deprive longtime Subaru owners of the pee-shiver that has historically gone reverberating through the Legacy at stoplights. In fact, Subaru believes that the new Legacy's NVH control will be on par with the Toyota Camry. The outgoing model, they believe, was roughly on par with the Nissan Altima.

The 2010 Legacy will offer horizontally opposed engines, manual transmissions and standard all-wheel drive, so not all the Subaru-ness has been drained out of the new model.

Three engines are on offer. The 2.5-liter horizontally opposed four-cylinder makes 170 horsepower and 170 pound-feet of torque. These are the same figures as the outgoing car's base engine, but the peaks are achieved at slightly lower rpm. This motor can be mated to a newly designed six-speed manual transmission or an all-new continuously variable transmission (CVT). The CVT is an attempt to grab a little extra fuel economy for the base car. And the company estimates the 2.5/CVT combination will get 23 mpg city/30 mpg highway. We'll reserve judgment on the CVT until we drive it, but we haven't liked many CVTs. So equipped, the Legacy should get to 60 mph in 10.1 seconds.

The turbocharged version of the Legacy is called the GT, and it can almost knock that 0-60-mph time in half. The GT will come only with the six-speed manual and should sprint to 60 mph in 5.9 seconds or less. Compared to last year's GT, the 2010's motor makes 22 hp more, for a total of 265 hp. This increase is thanks to a larger turbocharger with more boost, a larger-capacity intercooler and a lower-density catalyst. The engine should also be more responsive thanks to the relocation of the turbo, which is now mounted beneath the engine nearer the exhaust manifold. Subaru says the turbo's response time is 30 percent quicker. The GT rides on 18-inch Bridgestone Potenza RE050A summer tires in place of the 16- and 17-inch all-season Bridgestones on the other models.

The six-cylinder version of the Legacy also gets a boost. In place of the 3.0-liter horizontally opposed six, the 2010 Legacy will offer a 3.6-liter six that raps out 11 hp more and 32 lb-ft torque more than the 3.0-liter motor. Still, this output lags behind the ratings of the Legacy's V6-powered competitors. On the upside, Subaru's six-cylinder no longer requires premium fuel. Like last year's model, the 2010 six-cylinder comes with a five-speed automatic only. Subaru estimates the 3.6R model will get to 60 mph in 7.8 seconds — about a second behind its quickest direct competitors. Of course, the Subaru Legacy is the only model in the midsize, midprice game to offer all-wheel drive as standard on all versions. Want speed? Learn to shift for yourself and buy the GT.

The Legacy will go on sale late this summer for a price that Subaru doesn't yet want to talk about. The company's implication, though, is that the base model will start below the current base price

2010_lg0000a_h.jpg.thumb.jpg.a41a0aa10ab802bc6cec5d8a3cd9a8b5.jpg

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cut and paste from other thread:

So far I see the new WRX engine/turbo and a 6-speed standard on the LGT. Me likey.

That back seat looks ginormous in comparison to the current Legacy. I'm hoping that the front end of the new LGT will get some sort of special treatment....those headlights need some blackening/projection headlights, and the grill needs some tweaking as well.

Also, there are alot more details on this thing to come. Weight, braking hardware, chassis stiffness compared to former, potential revisions to steering layout, suspension design.

The exterior is not bad (for Subaru) and the interior looks pretty good. I don't like the fact that they are "aiming for Camry"....but hey, they offer it with a 6-speed, turbocharged engine, and AWD. It'll never be a camry.

Joe

Pics from said article.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/autoshows/newyork/2009/2010subarulegacy.2010legacyactf34subaruasny1.img.jpg

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/autoshows/newyork/2009/2010subarulegacy.2010legacyactr34subaruasny1.img.jpg

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/autoshows/newyork/2009/2010subarulegacy.2010legacyactf34subaruasny4.img.jpg

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/autoshows/newyork/2009/2010subarulegacy.2010legacyfintsubaruasny1.img.jpg

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/autoshows/newyork/2009/2010subarulegacy.2010legacyrintsubaruasny1.img.jpg

Ewwwwwww!!!!! That interior sucks :lol:

They say the moved the turbo to near the front of the crankshaft near the bottom of the engine. They did this for quicker response. I'm guessing it is like the new turbo diesel setup. Also, the front engine cradle sounds to be a complete redesign.

While the did tone down the concept looks, it appears they made an uglier version of bl/bp with still understated looks.

From reading other sites, it seems posters do not like official pics.

Holy crap what an abomination. Goodbye to you subaru, my 05 will be my last.

Lexus rear end, pretty ugly front and cheap interior :woowoo:

oh yeah no 6 speed auto, I like my MT now but I was hoping my next car would be a AT. Only 15 hp bump they better have a 300 hp spec B or this will be an epic fail.

Sorry :soap_box:

:rolleyes:"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer." :spin:

Not too much different than the current gen, but take a look.......

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/auto_shows/2009_new_york_auto_show_nyias_auto_shows/production_debuts/2010_subaru_legacy_auto_shows

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezwebin_site/storage/images/news/auto_shows/2009_new_york_auto_show_nyias_auto_shows/production_debuts/2010_subaru_legacy_auto_shows/2010_subaru_legacy/subleg_10_mfr_8/2085791-1-eng-US/subleg_10_mfr_8_gallery_image_large.jpg

Jeebus, typical Subaru fans. Everything sucks, is terrible, and the world is ending.

Those pictures are of a base model Legacy. I think the only weird design is the headlights, which desperately need some projectors/blackening.

Other than that, the side and rear are pretty stately and nice. The rear needs the dual exhaust outlets...I'm surprised they dropped those on the base model.

As for the inside: The seats look cheap, but so do the current tan cloth base model seats. Lets see how an upper-level trim model looks.

Everything else looks pretty decent to me. Where's the complaint? What's cheap about the interior? Are those real aluminum accents, or faux? Will leather interiors get a leather covered and padded center armrest, steering wheel, and door armrest?

How about that turbocharger? 30% faster response...

Actually, I said in my first post that this appears to be the WRX engine (due to power output)....but if they moved the turbo, then we're talking about a new setup, right?

If the turbo is behind and under the engine, where's the intercooler going to be placed?

Will this have faster spool up than the new WRX?

Oh so many questions.

That article said the new

Heh, yeah....i'm hoping it looks a little more aggressive than this with just a hoodscoop.

I guess we'll see in time.

If pics arent out by the Media days of the autoshow, I will be sure to post them as soon as I get some during the media days.

-John

Archived