LegacyGT.com

HID questions

bg.

Hi there,

The first thing I was looking at doing to my 2006 Legacy GT was installing an HID kit in the low beams and HID fogs.

The HID lowbeams will be no problem to install (Going to buy an H7 kit should I get 35W or 50W)

However the HID fogs are a concern for me.. do you go through the splash guard to access the fogs?? Does the car have to be on jacks to do so? Is there enough room to hide ballasts down there? Also I was wondering if the foglight bulbs are just a regular H3 bulb, or are they a special one because the owner's manual says to go to the dealer to have them changed.

(Again should I use 35W or 50W?)

And do I have to remove the bumper on this car to change headlight bulbs? Or will it be easier to do this install by removing it.. How do you remove the bumper?

Thank you, and sorry if these questions have been asked before I searched and there was too many topics on HIDs to skim through them all.

~bg.

I've been running a Xenon Expert 4300k 35watt low beam kit in my car for a couple years and am very happy with it. The purists will say that we need aftermarket projectors, but I'm perfectly happy with the OEM projectros.

Why would you remove the bumper? Access to the bulbs is at the rear of the headlamp housing in the engine bay.

^ Like the man said. :)

The bulbs are just standard H3s. The manual says to take it in because most owners in this vehicle segment are likely not inclined nor capable of such access. There's plenty of space to hide ballasts.

A typical 35W for the fog will produce as much light as a 80-85W standard incandescent H3 setup there.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived