LegacyGT.com

Non-catted DP and emission testing

Strizzy

It depends on your state. Here in NY they do emissions testing via OBD II readiness. I am also planning on going cat-less on my Subaru. From what I am told, there is a spacer you can put in so that the O2 sensor will take a reading of "clean" air, as it won't be in the direct flow of exhaust gasses. You just need to hope the inspection station doesn't do a visual inspection under the car. They didn't with my last car and it was catless.

Here in IL, the only test they do is plug into the OBDII. There is no visual inspection. Every test I've had to do took no longer that 5 minutes.

I just don't to get a catted DP and still end up getting a check engine light due to a too small of a cat, when it would be much cheaper to go catless.

Here in IL, the only test they do is plug into the OBDII. There is no visual inspection. Every test I've had to do took no longer that 5 minutes.

I just don't to get a catted DP and still end up getting a check engine light due to a too small of a cat, when it would be much cheaper to go catless.

If you read the Cobb map notes, they say 75% of people with an aftermarket catted DP will throw a CEL and 100% of catless DPs will. The cat acts more like a resonator than a cat. It helps to quiet things down a bit.

you will get a cell no matter what. you will need a ap to help get rid of them. once you get a tune then the cell will go away. go cated dp. you really are not going to feel the diff on a catted vs a catless. plus the smell will knock you out once you stop at a stop light.

Since I will be getting an opensource tune by DS1 Motorsports, will that get rid of the CEL? My main reason for considering a catted Dp is the CEL issue with emission testing. If it will be the same with or without a cat, then I will go catless at close to half the price.

An open source tune will allow you to dis-enable the cel that results in running a hf cat or running catless. I've been debating it a while and I believe I'm going to go with a catless dp. Hard to argue the difference in a $200 pipe vs a $600 pipe.

If its for your DD, go catted just to be on the safe side. If you are tracking the car go catless, I guess if you like added performance. I have invidia catted DP. I will get a bigger turbo if I wanna go fasterrrrrrrrr.

Catless is bad for the enviornment. So are cars in general though as well as a multitude of other things. Catless is probably not going to make you very popular amongst a group of tree huggers..

:lol: Nothing beats that unburnt fuel smell when you open your door to step out. It actually never bothered me. Catless just makes more sense. I can't justify the extra cash for a HFC in the DP.

Archived