LegacyGT.com

audiophiles, i need your help

bradze

my stereo sounds ok, but i want it to sound better. i have a kenwood dnx 6980 headunit, alpine component front speakers, pioneer coaxial rear speakers, a pioneer 8" shallow subwoofer, dynamat all over, and this amp [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00318EFW2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with a cheap amazon amp wiring kit. anyway i know absolutely nothing about audio. i want to get this sub http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00161382E/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=18XC27NNZ5VX0&coliid=I24NH3H2JXT0ZD]Amazon.com: Soundstream RUB2.250 2 x 75 2-Channel Amplifier (Midnight Blue): Car Electronics[/ame]

i want to get a better sub [ame=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00161382E/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=18XC27NNZ5VX0&coliid=I24NH3H2JXT0ZD]Amazon.com: JL Audio 10W3v3-4 10" Single 4 ohm W3v3 Series Subwoofer 10W3v3: Car Electronics[/ame] will my amp provide enough power?

im thinking since some people hook an amp to their door speakers and then get another amp for their sub should i just do that?

or does this thing provide a better solution? [ame=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KN2TQ2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=18XC27NNZ5VX0&coliid=I37JZHAL89RRNN]Amazon.com: JBL MS-8 MS Series Digital Processor: Car Electronics[/ame]

I would definitely recommend an upgraded sub and better amps.

But first how are you using the amp you have? It's two channels, yet you talk about 5 channels (Front/Rear + Sub) - So I'm a bit confused?

Here's some better options for Sub & Amps:

Sub = TC Sounds EPIC 10"

Sub Amp: Hifonics Brutus 1100 or 1200 1 Channel

Speaker Amp: Hifonics Brutus 640 4 Channel (BRX640.4)

You will also need a Sub Enclosure or Stealth Box for the Sub, and most likely need upgraded amp power wiring....

I also prefer Infinity for lower cost / lower end Main Speakers, but also have used Boston Acoustics or Polk in the past as well.... You would probably benefit from updated speakers though.

i only have the amp hooked up to power the sub. im happy with my door speakers, my sub sounds horrible though. i wonder if maybe i should first try a better amp. i guess i got some bad advice for picking out that amp on subaruoutback.org. also i have a homemade sub box so it doesn't take up so much space. i cut the rear plastic so it doesn't stick out far and thought a shallow sub would be good.

Well - Horrible Sub sounds come from a number of factors:

#1 - Sub itself - 8" Pioneer shallow - just sounds all wrong to begin with - you're looking to move air and short throw and small diameter is well poor physics - just like a car engine cylinder - either large diameter or long throw (or both) but skimp on both = bad sound.

#2 - Sub Box - It's important to match the size of the box to the sub, but also important it's sealed properly so no air escapes the seams vs being moved by the sub - so you may want to look at your box

#3 - Amp - there's a lot here but I look to over power the sub rating by 50/60% (150% RMS rating) - This way you can turn down the gains on your amp and fully power the sub but not overheat an amp - under/over powering a sub can sometimes cause a sub to sound horrible - also look at amp ratings (RMS vs Peak - cheap amps list ratings in peak)

Essentially there's a bit more to car audio than just throwing a sub in box and powering up an amp... But take a look at the the above first and see if that helps.

How does it sound with unplugging the sub? If it just sounds like it's missing the lows then work on replacing the sub (and maybe amp) - if not - well then it's on to rethinking budget and reviewing system specs and such...:wub:

it sounds awesome without the sub

Then I would think about a new Sub and Box and maybe an amp depending on Sub Choice - I really like that EPIC 10" and Hiphonics Brutus Amp for $ to Value:

EPIC 10" Sub = $190 - Parts Express - EPIC 10"

Brutus Amp (BRZ1200) - $200 - Online Car Stereo

As to a box - you may not find any off the shelf Stealth Boxes for the Outback - so you could work on ensuring your is correct - or just buy a basic non-stealth box: $75 - Online Car Stereo Sub Boxes

Depending on what you used as power cable - you would probably want to use 4 Gauge Power - so if needed just get a kit - or go to your local Car Audio Shop and purchase as needed.

im also looking at sound deadening stuff, does anything work as well as advertised?

I've never really used Sound Deadening - But I've seen decent reviews of B-Quiet

My buddy just used the EastWood Stuff on the firewall of his Turbo Diesel and he said it really helped.

Dynamat is really high priced these days - but supposedly works well.

EDIT: DIYMA is hosting a sale on AlphaDamp for the next 48 hrs.: - 40% off - use coupon code Turkey40 when checking out.

I have dynamat under my headlined on my floor and in my doors. Then I found you can get the exact same stuff for 1/4th the price at homendepot or amazon. Since I'm probably goingnto have totake down the headlined again for my roof wiring ill just add some sound deadening foam to drown out the extra wind noise from my rack. Does anyone know of foam that's not too expensive?

I've never really used Sound Deadening - But I've seen decent reviews of B-Quiet

My buddy just used the EastWood Stuff on the firewall of his Turbo Diesel and he said it really helped.

Dynamat is really high priced these days - but supposedly works well.

EDIT: DIYMA is hosting a sale on AlphaDamp for the next 48 hrs.: - 40% off - use coupon code Turkey40 when checking out.

If you email any of the mods, they usually give you a deal

wouldn't get too hung up on that 48 hour date;)

I'm looking for foam asap. That site even recommends luxury liner but second skin says its too heavy for use under a headliner. My roof rack is loud as hell and I wanna get an led lightbar soon so id like to know where I can get sound deadening foam.

• 5 months later...

since i have a 2channel amp, i was thinking about putting 6x9 speakers in the rear corners and moving my shallow sub into the middle like this. http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/1534385-post17.html

i was wondering what speakers would be ok for my shitty amp [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00318EFW2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Amazon.com : Soundstream RUB2.250 2 x 75 2-Channel Amplifier (Midnight Blue) : Vehicle Multi Channel Amplifiers : Car Electronics[/ame]

and what mono amp i should buy for my sub, don't wanna spend too much

shitty amp = shitty sound. i wouldn't hook that amp to anything. I think you have a few options, depending on how much you're willing to spend. But first I need more information.

What are you hoping to improve in your system? (volume, clarity, etc.)

Budget?

What kind of music do you listen to?

it sounds great until the volume is up very far. the sub makes it sound awful at that point. i just want a little more volume and clarity at those higher levels. i don't wanna spend more than like $250. i listen to mostly rock and oldies.

it sounds great until the volume is up very far. the sub makes it sound awful at that point. i just want a little more volume and clarity at those higher levels. i don't wanna spend more than like $250. i listen to mostly rock and oldies.

If you have your speakers handling the full range of frequencies (highs, mids and lows), adding a quality sub/amp combo will reduce the bass load on your speakers and you can play them louder and clear b/c they will only have to worry about the mids and highs.

If you don't want to spend more than $250, start looking on craigslist for a JL Audio 10w3 sub and 250/1 amp or powered subs:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108BASSLIN/Infinity-BassLink.html?tp=114

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P30010/Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-P300-10.html?tp=114

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_023XLB250A/Blaupunkt-Blue-Magic-XLb-250-A.html?tp=114

If you up the budget, I'd look into getting a 4 channel amp like JL audio 300/4 and you can use it to power the front speakers and bridge the rear two channels for the sub.

Hope this helps

If you're happy with your interior speakers then I'd definitely say a better amp and sub/box setup. Shallow subs are kind of a last resort when people have zero space to utilize or don't want to give up any in a trunk or hatch. Make sure you put the sub in its recommended size of box according to specs. Sealed, good quality boxes are super cheap. Ported ones are more expensive. Matching RMS power of amp to rms power range of sub is important also. If anything, you want a higher rated amp as you can always turn that down. Buying an amp and over-working it will result in a varitety of issue you don't want to deal with. Lots of good, reasonably priced stuff out there. The Hifonics suggested is a great choice. I've had great luck at SonicElectronux and Woofersetc.com myself.

• 5 months later...
I haven't had money all summer so I never got around to this. I've sorta decided what I want a pair of 6x9s in the back, a better 2 channel amp, wiring kit, Kenwood underseat sub/amp, and not sure if I need anything to run 2 amps.

IMO... quality over volume, especially when on a budget. Bargain high-wattage amps & speakers are nearly guaranteed to sound like garbage. There's no need to beef up the rear mid-/high-range speakers. Just filter out low frequencies to the rear doors and be done with it.

Having said that... focus on improving volume and clarity in the front speakers, and add a balanced subwoofer under the seat or in the trunk. You can do a lot with an aftermarket head unit powering front speakers directly plus a dedicated amp for a sub, or bridging a (good) 4-channel amp so it runs two front channels and one low-frequency rear channel.

I'm running all stock (HK) speakers from a Pioneer double-DIN head unit, with a 300W RMS RF amp driving a 12" dual voice coil RF sub in a custom sealed box in the trunk. It's all I need. If I were to upgrade from here, I'd start with two front speakers. Then an amp for those speakers. And then if I still weren't satisfied, speakers in the rear doors driven from the same (4-channel) amp.

FWIW, that's the order of my priorities when it comes to improving cabin audio.

TL;DR: don't be that douchebag in traffic with all of his windows down, overdriving his speakers for the sake of more decibels.

Tits mcgee

Archived