LegacyGT.com

Installing UP and replacing Turbo Oil Return Line

Hey guys, I'm looking for some help on installing my Invidia Up Pipe and replacing the oil return line that's underneath the turbo.

1. Up Pipe- What is the install like? Do you have to jack up the engine itself a couple inches to get the stock out? How hard is this to do?

2. Replacing the turbo oil return line- What replacement parts are needed off the bat (ie. gaskets, washers, etc)? And how would the procedure go?

I've worked on my car many times changing the oil, replacing the brakes, installing boost gauge, installing intake, installing catback but none of these things are so difficult or as vital as turbo work. I want to do this right and not break anything. I will have experienced help along side me but he has only worked on WRX's and it may differ.

Thanks for any help guys, it's much appreciated...and please stay on topic

Shawn

The oil drain consists of a rubber hose with a clamp on each end. It's simple in theory but a huge PITA to actually get it into place. Doing it with the turbo in place requires small hands and a lot of luck.

BTW, that's mighty condescending of you to admonish us to "stay on topic." Oops, I guess that's off topic.

Have you not read other threads in various forums? People tend to go off topic on tangents about things clearly unrelated to the topic. I'm looking for relevant information and if by me saying stay on topic offends you, then maybe you should stay off the internet.

Just as John M said, The oil return line will be a Royal Pain in the Ass with normal/large hands, and still a Pain in the Ass with smaller hands. I have skinny/long hands and I can barely fit up there around the Turbo and what I can reach is all by feel and cannot see.

In respect to you I understand where your coming from (some have trouble staying on topic)... but staying on topic is a big rule of thumb here(hence off topic section) and being so quick to judge that we won't stay on topic, even before a response is made, will definitely bring out some criticism on your end. Don't take it personally, just in the future, give us a chance

I just performed a VF52 swap with a buddy 3 weeks ago.

I can't imagine trying to swap out that return line with the downpipe still in place. It was hard to reach with it removed. For the record, when I did it the front of the car was on jack stands and I was laying on my back on the garage floor. The difference is I was installing a new turbo, downpipe, and upipe so it was a lot easier.

First I removed the intercooler, then the downpipe, then the old turbo (including the oil return line), and then the upipe last.

I've never tried this keeping everything in place but I wouldn't feel comfortable that it's properly installed reaching blind as the other posters said nor will my hands fit.

I just performed a VF52 swap with a buddy 3 weeks ago.

I can't imagine trying to swap out that return line with the downpipe still in place. It was hard to reach with it removed. For the record, when I did it the front of the car was on jack stands and I was laying on my back on the garage floor. The difference is I was installing a new turbo, downpipe, and upipe so it was a lot easier.

First I removed the intercooler, then the downpipe, then the old turbo (including the oil return line), and then the upipe last.

I've never tried this keeping everything in place but I wouldn't feel comfortable that it's properly installed reaching blind as the other posters said nor will my hands fit.

Thanks man I'll keep it in mind. I don't have the money for a new DP right now but i wish i did, however, i'll probably be taking it off anyway for good measure. Of course I'd like to upgrade the turbo but that's a whole new project.

Have you not read other threads in various forums? People tend to go off topic on tangents about things clearly unrelated to the topic. I'm looking for relevant information and if by me saying stay on topic offends you, then maybe you should stay off the internet.

I believe in the 18 years since I joined my first online car club I think I've figured out how they work. Forums didn't exist back then -- it was email lists and newsgroups. I'm an active 12+ yr veteran member of several other car sites.

But, you're right -- the content does frequently consist of some newb telling someone else how things should be done and that if they don't like it they can leave. Funny how that never changes.

I believe in the 18 years since I joined my first online car club I think I've figured out how they work. Forums didn't exist back then -- it was email lists and newsgroups. I'm an active 12+ yr veteran member of several other car sites.

But, you're right -- the content does frequently consist of some newb telling someone else how things should be done and that if they don't like it they can leave. Funny how that never changes.

And it's funny how this "veteran" will continue to come onto forums and go off topic only to try and start trouble. Couldn't you just answer the question and be on with your life? no, instead you have to be a dick and start something. That's exactly the reason I don't use this site very often. Thank you for proving a point.

+1. Except I'm a noob. You don't know what you're taking about, so you can get out :lol:

OP, just get under the car and poke around and look at everything and get a sense. After reading all these threads when I first started swapping stuff, it still came down to me trying to figure out how to get my big hand or a pipe in a weird area. No dirty joke intended. If you can't think how to do things on your feet when working on a car, the formula isn't going to get you to finished. My .02. GL

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

And it's funny how this "veteran" will continue to come onto forums and go off topic only to try and start trouble. Couldn't you just answer the question and be on with your life? no, instead you have to be a dick and start something. That's exactly the reason I don't use this site very often. Thank you for proving a point.

i'm sure people will be coming out of the woodworks to help you now... :spin:

It's not about speed, it's about acceleration!

• 5 years later...
As far as the up pipe goes a lot of people say that with some wiggling you can get it through...after almost half an hour of trying to wiggle it in I decided to jack up the engine. After that it slipped right out and the new one back in. I think the hardest part of the install was getting the old up pipe out. The rest is just bolts.

Archived